Home

The legend of Big Ben Grows

This is a discussion on The legend of Big Ben Grows within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #49
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: The legend of Big Ben Grows

There's a lot of homers in this thread. That's all I'll say.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 09-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #50
Pro

OVR: 9

Any QB who can be thrown from a motorcycle, rehabbed, and help lead his team to ANOTHER NFL championship has my respect period. I personally do not care how a QB wins, all that counts is the win period.

We should not assume that if another QB was back there that they would be better. That is ALL speculations. I personally do not think any of the other QBs you guys named(maybe Brees) could have been in a motorcycle crash and came back as he did. Some people just got something that other people do not have and he's got something to show for it(2 superbowls rings)
Old 09-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #51
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwire
Good post, but it will fall on deaf ears. I can pull up stats from past years when Ben's had over 200 yards and 2-3 tds in the first half before the running game takes over in the 2nd half to close the game out. You know, because you watch every game, but why bother explaining to the rest? They only believe what they're told and want to hear.

As for Thursday night, i'll play the silly game requested,
1st Q _ 4-6-0-1 (only mistake being the pick, shoot him now)
2nd Q_ 11-14-153-1 (add the Hail Mary for stat watchers)
3rd Q_ 2-4-12
4th Q_ 11-11-111 (he sucked)
OT _ 5-7-60

Am i missing something? Led them to 5 drives of 50+ yards with no running game against a top-10 D.

I can't believe i just responded to utter nonsense.
We're talking about last night. Just last night.

Look at what he did against the soft D: (which I already posted)

10/12 152 Yards + his only TD

Link

If you actually watched the game and saw what happened, you'd know that the D was soft at the end of each half and in OT. Is it coincidence that Ben did well in those situations? No, unless you're a Steelers' homer.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #52
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26

Link

If you actually watched the game and saw what happened, you'd know that the D was soft at the end of each half and in OT. Is it coincidence that Ben did well in those situations? No, unless you're a Steelers' homer.
You're refusing to connect the fact that in those situations Ben was running the no huddle and calling his own plays. The fact is that when he's given independence from Bruce Arians' *** backwards playcalling, Ben's really good.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #53

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:

Link

So the fact that they were running no huddle had nothing to do with the D getting soft?

I don't get the argument against a QB because of how his opponent played at one of the most critical points in the game.

So when can we give a QB credit? Only when he is facing a ferocious defense that is fully rested?
Old 09-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #54
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
You're refusing to connect the fact that in those situations Ben was running the no huddle and calling his own plays. The fact is that when he's given independence from Bruce Arians' *** backwards playcalling, Ben's really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
So the fact that they were running no huddle had nothing to do with the D getting soft?

I don't get the argument against a QB because of how his opponent played at one of the most critical points in the game.

So when can we give a QB credit? Only when he is facing a ferocious defense that is fully rested?
Does Ben call all of the plays in the no-huddle, or are they sent in by headset? I honestly don't know that, so as of now, I won't touch that subject.

The reason Ben Roethlisberger moved the ball so well in those situations is because of the soft zones, IMO. Which is why I'm taking his success in other situations to measure his performance. I watched the whole game and Ben didn't look too great until the Tennessee defense stopped attacking.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Old 09-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #55

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Does Ben call all of the plays in the no-huddle, or are they sent in by headset? I honestly don't know that, so as of now, I won't touch that subject.

The reason Ben Roethlisberger moved the ball so well in those situations is because of the soft zones, IMO. Which is why I'm taking his success in other situations to measure his performance. I watched the whole game and Ben didn't look too great until the Tennessee defense stopped attacking.
Well if you are basing your opinion off of his performances as whole, fair enough, your opinion is your opinion.

I just don't think it is fair to look at his performance and denounce him because of how the defense chose to play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #56
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I just don't think it is fair to look at his performance and denounce him because of how the defense chose to play.
I consider the defense + playcalling as a factor. Not the only factor, but one of many.

I find it funny when somebody says I can't use defensive playcalling as a reason for Ben's success, but then the same person says Ben was held back by his own team's playcalling.

@CDonkey26

Quote:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »