Home

Eagles @ Panthers

This is a discussion on Eagles @ Panthers within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #81
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Eagles @ Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State-31 UNC-27
Everyone should be mad at Delhomme but you have to think logically. Honestly, vs the Cards and Eagles several of those balls could have easily dropped to the ground. Still a horrible performance, no excuses.

But I still think he's a better chance to win than Matt Moore and McCown. The O-Line was pretty horrible yesterday too. Its just one game and one loss this season. Don't kill the guy and the rest of our season. He's on a short leash but I'm still going with him for now.

And if they called the block in the back on Jackson's punt return TD this game could have gone in a totally different direction.
I agree in part with what you are saying about Jake. The thing is he hasn't been accurate at all. He is either throwing behind guys, or throwing over their heads. I think his velocity is suffering as well.

Compare last year's first game against the Chargers when he threw that bullet to Rosario to win the game, vs. yesterday's game and the lack of velocity on his passes. Marked difference.

I say give him three games this year. If he doesn't get his act together then bench him and give Moore a chance. McCown? Hell no.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #82
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Everyone should be mad at Delhomme but you have to think logically. Honestly, vs the Cards and Eagles several of those balls could have easily dropped to the ground. Still a horrible performance, no excuses.

But I still think he's a better chance to win than Matt Moore and McCown. The O-Line was pretty horrible yesterday too. Its just one game and one loss this season. Don't kill the guy and the rest of our season. He's on a short leash but I'm still going with him for now.
I thought that Arizona was just a really bad game and he would return to form, but after horrible performances in back to back games almost 8 months apart, you know the guy is done. Still, they're at least going to stick with him until the bye week.

I don't blame the team for ignoring the need for a true successor at QB though. They have been a borderline playoff team since the superbowl run, and the team has been run to try to win before the boulder rolls back down the hill. Even when they had to call up Testaverde and use Carr, they finished 7-9 and figured Jake returning would bump the team back up...which happened.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #83
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

The Panthers are so up and down from year to year.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 09-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #84

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
A bounty on the guy's head is gonna be next around here!
I'm surprised it isn't yet.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #85
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Jake looked like a double agent yesterday, yes.

He was off on both velocity and accuracy of throws yesterday.

He pretty much gave the game away in the first half.

BUT ... everyone calling for a 6-10 season or a Matt Moore coronation are just typically overreacting to a big blow out to open the season at home. Not pointing fingers, it's natural to overreact to this. But, if you watched closely and followed the playcalling, it was a recipe for disaster for any QB Carolina fielded.

The playcalling didn't play to Jake's strengths, rather actaully contained too many calls that forced him to make throws that he probably doesn't have the arm for anymore. The O-Line was beat on almost every passing down and Jake, Josh, nor Matt had any time to get into a groove back there. That is a credit to Philly's D and a knock on our protection schemes.

Coach Fox mentioned two screen pass calls that were bad plays and were probably more aggresive than he liked. We are a run the ball, field position team. Ideally Jake throws the ball less than 25 times a game. He isn't the 2003 Delhomme anymore. He can't be relied upon for 4th quarter comebacks, or even special plays on a weekly basis. He is on the decline, but he's not "done" yet.

Steve Smith spent the whole day pouting and then dropped the balls that backups put on his hands. The Eagles also have 3 really good NFL corners in Samuel, Brown, and Hobbs. We should have called more routes for the TEs and RBs. It was a poor game plan, combined with bad blocking, bad throws, and inconsistent effort.

It truly was a team loss. Everyone else can go into panic mode if you want, we'll probably lose to Atlanta and everyone will continue to call for a rebuild.

I'm not drinking that spiked kool-aid. I'm gonna wait and see how the team looks when they have straightened out the offensive game plan and blocking schemes.

Also just heard that Carolina is signing AJ Feeley. So it appears that Josh McCown's sprained knee may be more than just a couple weeks injury.

Either way I'm not gonna start damning the season yet. I've seen this kind of thing happen before. I've also seen Chris Weinke and Carolina come out and beat a very good Minnesota team in 2001, looking like a well-oiled machine, and then lose 15 straight.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #86
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Good lord, guys! What does it take for you guys to finally realise MisJake is done? 15 turnovers??!?

Quote:
To the ground??? Dude, the fact that Eagles players are getting their hands on the ball 1st should tell you something. Do you really want to rely on the defense having butter fingers for the offense to be effective?

Quote:
Its not just "one game". Against Oakland, Oakland, 7-27, 72 yds 4 picks. He had a poor effort vs Detroit. Winless Detroit. This isn't an anomaly. This is a downward spiral into the depths of the sewer.

Quote:
And if they called the block in the back on Jackson's punt return TD this game could have gone in a totally different direction.
It just would have delayed Jake's next INT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
I don't blame the team for ignoring the need for a true successor at QB though. They have been a borderline playoff team since the superbowl run, and the team has been run to try to win before the boulder rolls back down the hill. Even when they had to call up Testaverde and use Carr, they finished 7-9 and figured Jake returning would bump the team back up...which happened.
That was a mistake. They would know a lot more about Matt Moore if they had inserted him instead of sticking so long w/Mr Ancient. Again, Fox thinking short sighted instead of long term.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #87
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
Good lord, guys! What does it take for you guys to finally realise MisJake is done?
You certainly seem convinced.

From the Panther's website:
Quote:
Head coach John Fox confirmed Monday night that McCown will be placed on injured reserve due to the sprains to his left knee and foot that he incurred on the play.

"Our medical people have told us it's a six-week injury," Fox said. "Even with a bye week in two weeks, we can't wait that long."

Fox also said that former Eagles, Dolphins and Chargers quarterback A.J. Feeley will be in Charlotte on Tuesday to undergo a physical. If all goes smoothly, he will take McCown's place on the 53-man roster. Feeley was released by the Philadelphia Eagles at the end of their training camp.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #88
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

I hope that Jake is the starter all 16 games.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »