Home

Week 2: Ravens @ Chargers.

This is a discussion on Week 2: Ravens @ Chargers. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #121
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Week 2: Ravens @ Chargers.

Sorry I wasn't around to join in the pre/during game fun here. I had a nice little vacation in Florida where I found a Ravens bar in Juno Beach to watch the game. I don't if any of you guys are in the area but you should really check it out if you are. It's called Kirby's and the original bar is in Ocean City, MD so the food is legit Maryland crab (cakes, dip, etc) and some other local favorites... plus the atmosphere is great.

Anyway, man what a game. LB, I'm glad you posted the last two bc I was thinking they were blitzing but the Bolts were just in max protect alot and the Ravens weren't getting in. That left the midgets out on islands way too much. I actually wanted them to blitz less or at least more up the gut. Rivers is a damn good QB and he picked us apart 2 years ago (we won that game by the way... someone said the Bolts won. Marty took the ball out of Rivers hands and the Ravens ended up pulling it out). That pass to Jackson in triple coverage was amazing, even if it developed bc Reed was gambling. I don't see just any QB picking the Ravens apart like Rivers did, but there are some pretty good QBs on the schedule so it's not good news.

As for some of the talk here, lets start with the last play. There's no way in hell they should've called a run to Sproles on 4th and 2 but it was actually set up to the outside. You can see the two guys pulling. Ray actually guessed WRONG but got back there so fast it didn't matter. If the guy pulling had literally just stopped and touched Ray he would've been out of the play and Sproles probably would've had a TD. Guys here are being WAY too hard on Norv. LT's out, the center's out, the heart of the D line is out... and they had a pretty good game plan to beat a pretty good team.

And I'm not going to rub anything in on any chargers fans... I like the bolts and wish them well. But any talk against "the better team won" is pretty silly. At full strength I'd put both teams around the same level and would probably give a slight edge to SD, but with the players that were on the field on Sunday there's no doubt the Ravens were the better team. If it weren't for big plays, they dominated that game. I wouldn't dare take those big plays away bc that was great play calling and execution from some great players, but I can't even imagine why anyone would get in a back and forth about that after watching that game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #122
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Sorry I wasn't around to join in the pre/during game fun here. I had a nice little vacation in Florida where I found a Ravens bar in Juno Beach to watch the game. I don't if any of you guys are in the area but you should really check it out if you are. It's called Kirby's and the original bar is in Ocean City, MD so the food is legit Maryland crab (cakes, dip, etc) and some other local favorites... plus the atmosphere is great.

Anyway, man what a game. LB, I'm glad you posted the last two bc I was thinking they were blitzing but the Bolts were just in max protect alot and the Ravens weren't getting in. That left the midgets out on islands way too much. I actually wanted them to blitz less or at least more up the gut. Rivers is a damn good QB and he picked us apart 2 years ago (we won that game by the way... someone said the Bolts won. Marty took the ball out of Rivers hands and the Ravens ended up pulling it out). That pass to Jackson in triple coverage was amazing, even if it developed bc Reed was gambling. I don't see just any QB picking the Ravens apart like Rivers did, but there are some pretty good QBs on the schedule so it's not good news.

As for some of the talk here, lets start with the last play. There's no way in hell they should've called a run to Sproles on 4th and 2 but it was actually set up to the outside. You can see the two guys pulling. Ray actually guessed WRONG but got back there so fast it didn't matter. If the guy pulling had literally just stopped and touched Ray he would've been out of the play and Sproles probably would've had a TD. Guys here are being WAY too hard on Norv. LT's out, the center's out, the heart of the D line is out... and they had a pretty good game plan to beat a pretty good team.

And I'm not going to rub anything in on any chargers fans... I like the bolts and wish them well. But any talk against "the better team won" is pretty silly. At full strength I'd put both teams around the same level and would probably give a slight edge to SD, but with the players that were on the field on Sunday there's no doubt the Ravens were the better team. If it weren't for big plays, they dominated that game. I wouldn't dare take those big plays away bc that was great play calling and execution from some great players, but I can't even imagine why anyone would get in a back and forth about that after watching that game.
Actually Ray guessed right. It was the Center's fault. The Guard pulled so there is no way he could see Lewis. So the Center rather than picking up Lewis, blocked down on Pryce who was lined up over the Guard. So they got a double on Pryce with Lewis flying in clean. Gotta give credit to Mattison here too as the front that the Ravens lined up in was rather funky. Also gotta give big ups to Lewis here. Had this been starting Center Hartwick I don't think Lewis makes this play. But you got a center off the street and Mattison with the front call and Lewis with the film study took advantage of it.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #123
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Gotcha. Crazy play. If the guy just turned his head for a half second that play could've been a td. This is why the talk of Ray slowing down are crazy. His brain isn't going to slow down. He may get hurt, but as long as he's healthy he's one of the best in the league.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »