Home

how a trade that seemed so good turned out to be so bad

This is a discussion on how a trade that seemed so good turned out to be so bad within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: how a trade that seemed so good turned out to be so bad

Quote:
The Chargers are not even close to the 2007 Giants talent wise. The Giants were a phenomenal team why the Chargers were a good team. Yes the Chargers had a few stars but the Giants of 2007 were literally a pro bowl team. The excelled at every part of the game and had no weakspots.
Don't know about all that now.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopydude
if anyone has payed attention to what i said, Eli Manning is a SYSTEM QB. i garuntee he would to horrible in any other offense besides the Giants. and yes Eli is clutch and yes Eli has a superbowl but you can put virtually any QB that has average skill onto the 2007 giants and that QB would still Succeed. Trust me I think Eli is a great Fit for the Giants. he come up big and that all us fan have asked him to do. im simply saying that the Giants all in all got Ripped of in the trade. The Chargers are not even close to the 2007 Giants talent wise. The Giants were a phenomenal team why the Chargers were a good team. Yes the Chargers had a few stars but the Giants of 2007 were literally a pro bowl team. The excelled at every part of the game and had no weakspots. All i am saying is that they gave up way to much in exchange for Eli i never said Eli was bad i simply said the Giants were ripped off in that trade considering that the Giants traded away 3 probowlers for 1. never doubted Eli as a good Qb just saying that the Giants could have given up less for the guy
You're using hypothetical points for your argument. You can't prove that Eli is a system QB and you can't prove that any QB would be successful in that offense. You just can't do it. And the Chargers have a "few" stars? What? I think the Chargers have the most stacked team in the NFL, full of stars. If only they had a better coach....
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 09-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

I love the trade. Worked out great for SD and I would take Rivers, Merriman and Kaeding over Manning any day of the week. I'd take Rivers over Manning any day of the week.

That being said, I can see no way this can be considered the worst trade of all time or even a bad trade. Seems to me the trade worked out pretty well for both teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

A trade that eventually gets you a SB can't be the worst of all time. Hell, it can't even be on a list with the worst trades of all time.

Let's say Rivers ended up being the Giants QB, I don't see him being as successful there as he is in SD for the simple fact that his mercurial personality will throw plenty of attention on himself and when he makes mistakes it'll be magnified ten fold. I admit Rivers in NY would make for great headlines but the guy would probably be a flash in the pan in the Big Apple.

At least Eli keeps chugging along, doesn't get into a war of words with opposing players and keeps things cool. The Giants have had a QB like that before and a damn good one in Phil Simms. So I say the Giants were justified in getting Eli.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopydude
if anyone has payed attention to what i said, Eli Manning is a SYSTEM QB. i garuntee he would to horrible in any other offense besides the Giants. and yes Eli is clutch and yes Eli has a superbowl but you can put virtually any QB that has average skill onto the 2007 giants and that QB would still Succeed. Trust me I think Eli is a great Fit for the Giants. he come up big and that all us fan have asked him to do. im simply saying that the Giants all in all got Ripped of in the trade. The Chargers are not even close to the 2007 Giants talent wise. The Giants were a phenomenal team why the Chargers were a good team. Yes the Chargers had a few stars but the Giants of 2007 were literally a pro bowl team. The excelled at every part of the game and had no weakspots. All i am saying is that they gave up way to much in exchange for Eli i never said Eli was bad i simply said the Giants were ripped off in that trade considering that the Giants traded away 3 probowlers for 1. never doubted Eli as a good Qb just saying that the Giants could have given up less for the guy
We paid attention to what you said. You're just wrong.

Vikings gave up what they did because they were going for the SB that year. They never did make it. & the Cowboys built a dynasty around it.

Giants gave up what they did cause they were looking for a franchise QB to build a SB winner around. They succeeded.

How can that trade be "the worst ever"?? When U get what you're looking for, you can't call the trade a failure. Its just ludicrous.

Even if Phil is a better QB, it doesn't make the trade bad.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
A trade that eventually gets you a SB can't be the worst of all time. Hell, it can't even be on a list with the worst trades of all time.

Let's say Rivers ended up being the Giants QB, I don't see him being as successful there as he is in SD for the simple fact that his mercurial personality will throw plenty of attention on himself and when he makes mistakes it'll be magnified ten fold. I admit Rivers in NY would make for great headlines but the guy would probably be a flash in the pan in the Big Apple.

At least Eli keeps chugging along, doesn't get into a war of words with opposing players and keeps things cool. The Giants have had a QB like that before and a damn good one in Phil Simms. So I say the Giants were justified in getting Eli.
When has Rivers ever gotten in to a war of words with another player?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Not through the media but remember the jawing back and forth between he and Jay Cutler?

I was referring to that.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Jay Cutler.

He got fined just last week jawing w/a Raider.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »