Home

Are Blackouts Supposed To Make Me A Fan?

This is a discussion on Are Blackouts Supposed To Make Me A Fan? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #49
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Are Blackouts Supposed To Make Me A Fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
And who exactly made the NFL the business that it is today and continue to make it what it is? Oh right that was the fans that have supported the league. Without the fans there would be no NFL or any other pro sports league for matter. So don't sit there and tell me that they don't owe the fans at least the common courtesy of showing their teams game when they are unable to go the games. The least you could do is not screw the people over that made your product what it is.
They don't owe fans a damn thing, that's the definition of a sense of entitlement, you weren't doing them a favor by buying their product. They sold it, you bought it, and they have no r4eason to keep giving it to you at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
Also if you want to throw all that out the window and just look the business side of things. Since I am a business major, I am not going to ignore that side of things but it still doesn't make any sense from that standpoint. They don't make any extra money from blacking out the game and it has yet to be proven that the rule leads to more ticket sales as evidence by all the blackouts the last couple of years. It could very well be more detrimental to the NFL than anything based on losing fans like the op. Show me one shred of proof that this rule has been benefited the NFL from a business standpoint. Pissing off and alienating your customers is not sound business especially loyal ones who have made your product what it is.

So what standpoint exactly does this make sense from?
That's beside the point, and if you cared to pay attention I agree that it is a dumb business move, but it still doesn't mean that the NFL owes you a damn thing.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #50
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
Certainly it does. You have no idea how much the time & gas may take away from the quality of his life. You have no idea what the guy can afford.
Once again, 40 minutes is nothing in the grand scheme when talking a 3 hour game. And LOL talking about gas, even if the guy has a car horrible on gas mileage (like mine) that's maybe $8. Is there anyone who can seriously sit here and say that $8 could possibly ever keep you from seeing your team play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
If you cannot see the difference "excessive" & "uncritical devotion" makes, then that would explain the narrow-mindedness displayed in your posts up to this point.
If you can't understand the meaning of "often" that would explain your lack of understanding of definitions.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #51
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
This is probably one of the most unintelligent posts I have ever read on here.

So in order to be a fan you have to go to the games? Really?
I never said that at all. The guy said the only thing keeping him from games is another 40 minutes. Obviously the guy enjoys going, obviously the guy can afford the tickets, are you going to seriously sit there and say that if the only thing keeping you from seeing your team play was 40 minutes you wouldn't just do that 40 minutes? If 40 minutes can stand between you and your team, you aren't a fan.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #52
Fum police

ndeezlo's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11
I never said that at all. The guy said the only thing keeping him from games is another 40 minutes. Obviously the guy enjoys going, obviously the guy can afford the tickets, are you going to seriously sit there and say that if the only thing keeping you from seeing your team play was 40 minutes you wouldn't just do that 40 minutes? If 40 minutes can stand between you and your team, you aren't a fan.
It's 40 minutes EACH WAY man. That's like 80 minutes.

Kid Rock, "I'm the catalyst for everything."

Tumblred
Old 09-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #53
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Looking at some of the posts here I guess i'm not a real Bills fan. I've never been to a Bills game in my life and with my vision it'd be a waste of money to do so unless I had the best seats in the house and even then it'd be iffy. I have trouble following baseball and basketball when I've gone to games in the past and with only one truly effective eye football is going to be just as tough.

I watch every game, I have a sizable library of past Bills games and I keep up with the goings on of the team. If that doesn't make me a fan then I dunno what would. There are various reasons why some can't go to their favorite team's games be it, money, distance, traffic, lack of seat availability etc etc et al. So one shouldn't lose sight of those things when you automatically questions someone's loyalty to their team.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #54
MVP

Blaze125's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Once again, 40 minutes is nothing in the grand scheme when talking a 3 hour game. And LOL talking about gas, even if the guy has a car horrible on gas mileage (like mine) that's maybe $8. Is there anyone who can seriously sit here and say that $8 could possibly ever keep you from seeing your team play?
If I had to guess, it's not only the gas, and the extra 40 minutes that is preventing him from going to the game. You're ignoring the fact that there's going to be traffic on a Sunday afternoon, that he had season tickets but the extra 40 minutes made them hard to justify having (Add that up that's an extra 10-11 hours if he decides to go to all the games, and you can't forget about traffic either). Plus all the extra money spent on concessions, parking, and a souvenir here and there and you're paying a whole lot more money to see a game then just what you see on the ticket. And because of all this, he's not a real fan? You say his situation doesn't matter, but what if he has a house payment or rent every month? A car payment? Insurance? All these things matter when you're looking at what's most important to your survival (I'll take having transportation over a silly football game anyday).

My parents live 1 hour away from Ford Field, are they not true fans because they don't feel like dealing with downtown Detroit on a Sunday afternoon, paying a crazy amount of money to see a product that isn't that great, and could be watched on TV instead? I live about 2.5 hours away from Ford Field, but I have priorities that prevent me from driving out there. Am I not a true fan? I'm sorry that not all of us have the money or means to afford going to a game 8 Sundays out of the year.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
8 dollars times round trip times 10 games equals better than $150. He may have been local before & didn't have to park @ the stadium. That's another $100 or more.

But all of that is moot. Point is, people who attend the games aren't the only ones who can call themselves fans. That's the crux of your argument & its a stupid one.

Quote:
If you can't understand the meaning of "often" that would explain your lack of understanding of definitions.
And if you can't contemplate that two seperate definitons means they are not the same thing, then you're the one who has a lack of understanding. You're the one who made the argument that seperating the 2 terms in "ludicrous". take it up w/the scholars of Webster's.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndeezlo
It's 40 minutes EACH WAY man. That's like 80 minutes.
burns is like the people who made like the victims of Katrina were @ fault for getting stuck in the city. People like him have no idea, or have forgotten, what its like for other people. They assume everyone is born in the same situations w/the same options that they themselves have. That sheltered, closed off point of view they have prevents them from having empathy for other people's problems. So really, we are just attacking a stubborn windmill.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »