Home

Are Blackouts Supposed To Make Me A Fan?

This is a discussion on Are Blackouts Supposed To Make Me A Fan? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #57
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Are Blackouts Supposed To Make Me A Fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
8 dollars times round trip times 10 games equals better than $150. He may have been local before & didn't have to park @ the stadium. That's another $100 or more.
$8 is round trips, smart guy. Last I checked there were 8 home games. But, once again, he said the ONLY thing standing between him and the games was 40 minutes. All these assumptions you make are just hogwash.

Quote:
But all of that is moot. Point is, people who attend the games aren't the only ones who can call themselves fans. That's the crux of your argument & its a stupid one.
I never made that claim. I spoke about one guy and a claim he made, quit assuming global opinions based on one guy.

Quote:
And if you can't contemplate that two seperate definitons means they are not the same thing, then you're the one who has a lack of understanding. You're the one who made the argument that seperating the 2 terms in "ludicrous". take it up w/the scholars of Webster's.
So, according to you, there are no such things as synonyms? Thesauruses are wastes of time? there are thousands of words that have unique wording in definitions but mean pretty much the same thing.

Quote:
burns is like the people who made like the victims of Katrina were @ fault for getting stuck in the city. People like him have no idea, or have forgotten, what its like for other people. They assume everyone is born in the same situations w/the same options that they themselves have. That sheltered, closed off point of view they have prevents them from having empathy for other people's problems. So really, we are just attacking a stubborn windmill.
Why do you feel this need to attack me, try to insult me and make assumptions about me? You have no idea who I am*, so just stop. I'm not going to change my opinion about a guy who lets 40 minutes come between him and his team not being a real fan. I'm not making a blanket statement here (something I've said time and time again), it's about one guy who made a claim and whined about blackout rules.

Let me ask you a question, why do you care so much that someone else has a different opinion than you?
Old 09-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #58
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11
$8 is round trips, smart guy. Last I checked there were 8 home games. But, once again, he said the ONLY thing standing between him and the games was 40 minutes. All these assumptions you make are just hogwash.
Season tickets requires you buy the preseason games as well.

Quote:
I never made that claim. I spoke about one guy and a claim he made, quit assuming global opinions based on one guy.
That is your argument. That if anyone in the Detroit area would rather watch from their homes instead of buying tickets & traveling to the stadium, then they aren't a fan.

Quote:
So, according to you, there are no such things as synonyms? Thesauruses are wastes of time? there are thousands of words that have unique wording in definitions but mean pretty much the same thing.
All poodles are dogs. But not all dogs are poodles. All fanatics are fans. But not all fans are fanatics.

Quote:
Why do you feel this need to attack me, try to insult me and make assumptions about me? You have no idea who I am*, so just stop. I'm not going to change my opinion about a guy who lets 40 minutes come between him and his team not being a real fan. I'm not making a blanket statement here (something I've said time and time again), it's about one guy who made a claim and whined about blackout rules.

Let me ask you a question, why do you care so much that someone else has a different opinion than you?
I've known you since MM. You've had the same attitude for years.

And I'm not attacking you.

You look back @ your posts & tell me those are the words of a person who is attempting to see the other side of the coin. That's the way you've always been. You have a narrow view & perspective of the world & assume if something doesn't fit w/that perception, somebody else is wrong. Not your preconcieved notions. Like I said before, "Let 'em eat cake".

All you had to say from the get go is that 40 minutes wouldn't be that hard an obstacle for yourself. But no, you had to belittle the guy, question his desire, because he arrived at a decision that didn't fit w/how you see things.

I have no problem w/your opinion. I welcome opposing opinions. Cause that makes me question myself. I have a problem w/your attitude.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 09-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 31

The NFL can kiss my white a**

They are so greedy, disrespectful to the fans and their employees. The NFL is what is wrong with the USA. Exclusive contracts drive me crazy. No reason I shouldn't get NFL Sunday Ticket with Time Warner cable, No reason I shouldn't be able to play a game besides Madden. No reason for this blackout crap.

The NFL has lost me. I pretty much watch the Bears game and tune out. I can remember when I loved the NFL but they have lost me in the last 8 years. An organization that has repeatidly said F-U to its fans, employees and communities.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #60
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
burns is like the people who made like the victims of Katrina were @ fault for getting stuck in the city. People like him have no idea, or have forgotten, what its like for other people. They assume everyone is born in the same situations w/the same options that they themselves have. That sheltered, closed off point of view they have prevents them from having empathy for other people's problems. So really, we are just attacking a stubborn windmill.
It's not even that. Someone like me who's in a house where both my spouse and I make 6 figure incomes, have no desire to go to the game. For some of us, it has nothing to do with resources. It's the fact I find the game more enjoyable at home, and I am more than willing and already do pay a premium price for NFL programming at home.

I simply have no desire to drive all the way down to the Q 10 times a year (not to mention don't get me started on charging full price for pre-season) and deal with the crowd and the drunks. Plus I end up missing all the other early games, and I don't get back to my house until after 5:30 or 6:00.

I love football and I love the Chargers but going to 10 games a year has no appeal to me at this point. Particularly when I have Sunday Ticket and 2 large HD TV's.

And I am sorry the whole Blackouts a necessity for teams to stay competitive, I don't buy. Maybe 25 years ago, but not today. But since NFL owners will never show us the books, we'll never know. But I don't believe any franchise out there would be mortally wounded from a financial perspective if we lifted or adjusted the blackout rules.

The NFL needs us more than we need them. It's time for them to step in to the 21st century when it comes to their broadcast and electronic media, content policies.

As far as being a true fan, I guarantee you I've been to more games in more stadiums than probably 99% of the people here. I simply prefer to watch games at home. For anyone to say that makes me less of a fan, is beyond ridiculous..

Last edited by bkrich83; 09-26-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #61
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

bk, I follow you. I know there are lots of reasons people might choose not to go to the stadium, or feel extra travel time isn't worth it.

But no matter the reason, burns isn't the type of guy to walk in another's shoes. Everyone should just think like him & their worries would go away.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #62
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
bk, I follow you. I know there are lots of reasons people might choose not to go to the stadium, or feel extra travel time isn't worth it.

But no matter the reason, burns isn't the type of guy to walk in another's shoes. Everyone should just think like him & their worries would go away.
Completely agree and that rarely happens. So you know he's wrong.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #63
Champs

Husker_OS's Arena

OVR: 39

Consider yourselves lucky.

I live probably 10-11 hours away from my team and they aren't on my local affiliate unless they play the damn Falcons. We aren't on NBC or ESPN for a primetime game this season so I'm screwed as far as seeing my Bucs play. I try to keep up with them on the Redzone Channel but even they refuse to show them. I saw a total of about 2 minutes of game action last week. And by that point the game was well in hand.

Alabama National Championships

1925-1926-1930-1934-1945-1961-1964-1965-1966-1978-1979-1992-2009-2011-2012-2015

"Fight on, fight on, fight on men! Remember the Rose Bowl, we'll win then..."
Old 09-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #64
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker_OS
Consider yourselves lucky.

I live probably 10-11 hours away from my team and they aren't on my local affiliate unless they play the damn Falcons. We aren't on NBC or ESPN for a primetime game this season so I'm screwed as far as seeing my Bucs play. I try to keep up with them on the Redzone Channel but even they refuse to show them. I saw a total of about 2 minutes of game action last week. And by that point the game was well in hand.
Sports bar?

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »