Home

Who, in hindsight, Is/Was Overrated?

This is a discussion on Who, in hindsight, Is/Was Overrated? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: Who, in hindsight, Is/Was Overrated?

Offensive line play has more to do with a QB's success than "weapons" do.

New Englands offensive line was great (maybe the best I ever saw) during Brady's best years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #66
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I'll agree that Bradshaw is somewhat overrated but just remember when he went to the NFL he was VERY raw. It took him some time to adjust as there were frequent squabbles between he and Chuck Noll. Yes, he did suck but at least give him the credit for turning it around. The guy is still a HOF'er in my book but the whole mythos that surrounds him is not quite justified totally.

Also it was a different era when the running game was paramount and INTs happened more frequently across the board. Noll kept Bradshaw under a tight leash during the first half of the Steelers Dynasty but by the 2nd half it was Bradshaw's fearless passing and strong arm that allowed the team to reinvent itself and bring them 2 more SBs.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
Offensive line play has more to do with a QB's success than "weapons" do.

New Englands offensive line was great (maybe the best I ever saw) during Brady's best years.

Eli Manning this season case in point
Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalutationsNJ
Throw in Alkili Smith as well
He's more in the "epic bust" than overrated category. You have to at least be acknowledged as a good player in order to be classified as overrated.

There's nothing to rate with him to begin with.

Quote:
TONY ROMO (LAST TIME I CHECKED NO PLAYOFF WINS, ACTUALLY NONE FOR THE DALLAS FRANCHISE SINCE 96)
Who even overrates Tony Romo anymore?

He's a consensus top-10 QB, which is about as much praise as he deserves considering he has a career 92.6 QB rating and averages over 300 YPG.

Last edited by Chip Douglass; 09-28-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #69
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing
Last time I checked it was a team sport and Tony Romo isn't responsible for every aspect of the Cowboys.
Last time I seen Tony H*** in the playoffs he fumbled a very important snap... Last time I checked the QB is supposed to be the general on the field, composing himself and his team to lead them. And if my words are lost amongst shallow ponds, go ask a COWBOY legend by the name of Tony Dorsett how great Mr. Jessica Simpson is?

Last edited by JerzeyReign; 09-28-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #70
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
Jamarcus Russell is garbage
I agree, but then again I was telling everyone the same thing when he was drafted. Same as Boller when he came in too. A QB has to do more than just have a strong arm. Those guys just came out in their shorts with their cocky attitudes knowing that they could sling the ball further than anyone, did it, and got rewarded for it.. Some people just never learn. Matt Cassell I said in the off season that it was going to be a mistake for the Chiefs, because there were so many plays last year that he just threw the ball 2 or 3 yards and his receivers did the rest of the work to get down the field. I'm still holding out hope, as is Herm, that Croyle will be able to get his shot and prove that when he is healthy he is atleast adequate.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 11

Overrated? Geez, just about every high draft pick the Texans made under Charlie Casserly, although he did get Andre Johnson and Dunta Robinson. Among those choices that stand out though are Travis Johnson, Jason Babin, David Carr, Bennie Joppru, and Tony Hollings. They also gave up a 2nd and 3rd round pick to get Philip Buchanon from the Raiders which was a terrible move.

For those saying Romo is overrated, I don't see how an undrafted FA QB who has gone to the Pro-Bowl can be overrated. He hasn't been able to pull it off in the playoffs YET. Then again he's only been to the post-season 2x and this is only his 3rd year as the full time starter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2009, 12:36 AM   #72
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalutationsNJ
Last time I seen Tony H*** in the playoffs he fumbled a very important snap... Last time I checked the QB is supposed to be the general on the field, composing himself and his team to lead them. And if my words are lost amongst shallow ponds, go ask a COWBOY legend by the name of Tony Dorsett how great Mr. Jessica Simpson is?
Romo is fourth all-time in Yards Per Attempt and third all-time in Passer Rating. Statistics don't mean everything but that is damn impressive and I highly doubt an uncomposed quarterback could be capable of such an accomplishment.

Also, who cares what Dorsett says? He's a running back, his evaluation of quarterbacks means next to nothing. Hell, Emmitt Smith got a job with ESPN but I'm pretty sure his opinion was utterly worthless regarding everything.

Tony Romo is not the best quarterback in the NFL and he's probably not even in the top five. However, holding him responisble for an entire team's failure to win in the playoffs is absurd. If you're putting it all on the QB, the same logic concludes Trent Dilfer is a better quarterback than Dan Marino becuase one of them "lead their team to a Super Bowl win".

I'm positive you feel this way because you refuse to look at football objectively, you're just hating a Cowboys quarterback because you're an Eagles fan.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »