Home

Terrell Owens: Hall of Famer?

This is a discussion on Terrell Owens: Hall of Famer? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
Terrell Owens: Hall of Famer?

If T.O.'s career ended with a fractured leg this season... will his NFL exploits deserve a spot in Canton?

PROS:
  • Holds a lot of NFL records
  • Ranks #2 All-Time in TD receptions, behind only Jerry Rice
  • Clearly, one of the most physically talented WRs in NFL history

CON:
  • He has been a total, complete disaster for every single NFL franchise he has ever played for. Every team that ever had him, were VERY glad to get rid of him... even though he had been playing in his prime. I don't think anybody really expect his Buffalo Bills days to be any different.

Is the Hall of Fame about being your best for your own personal glory? Or is it about being your best for the team? If it's the former, T.O. will be a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer. If it's the latter, a tried-and-true cancer like T.O. should never get in --- not in a million years. He has wrecked havoc on his own teams almost as much as he has on opposing teams.

There's something chilling about the idea of T.O.'s bust appearing alongside Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, and Johnny Unitas. Methinks that there will be a lot of people in the HoF selection committee who will fight tooth & nail to keep a proven cancer like T.O. from entering Canton. They'll hold him as a shining example that the Hall of Fame is more than just about stats.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Banned

Pringles's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Terrell Owens: Hall of Famer?

yes sadly enough he is hall of fame
Old 09-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Rookie

dl2518's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster.doofus7
If T.O.'s career ended with a fractured leg this season... will his NFL exploits deserve a spot in Canton?

PROS:
  • Holds a lot of NFL records
  • Ranks #2 All-Time in TD receptions, behind only Jerry Rice
  • Clearly, one of the most physically talented WRs in NFL history

CON:
  • He has been a total, complete disaster for every single NFL franchise he has ever played for. Every team that ever had him, were VERY glad to get rid of him... even though he had been playing in his prime. I don't think anybody really expect his Buffalo Bills days to be any different.

Is the Hall of Fame about being your best for your own personal glory? Or is it about being your best for the team? If it's the former, T.O. will be a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer. If it's the latter, a tried-and-true cancer like T.O. should never get in --- not in a million years. He has wrecked havoc on his own teams almost as much as he has on opposing teams.

There's something chilling about the idea of T.O.'s bust appearing alongside Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, and Johnny Unitas. Methinks that there will be a lot of people in the HoF selection committee who will fight tooth & nail to keep a proven cancer like T.O. from entering Canton. They'll hold him as a shining example that the Hall of Fame is more than just about stats.

Like him or not he is a Hall of Famer. HoF should be based on what you did on the field and not what kind of person you are.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
#faceuary2014

ScoobySnax's Arena

OVR: 30

Definitely a Hall of Famer. No doubt whatsoever.
PSN: xxplosive1984
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/os_scoobysnax/profile
Old 09-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

He's a lock but might have to wait his turn due to his antics but he'll get in there.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl2518
Like him or not he is a Hall of Famer. HoF should be based on what you did on the field and not what kind of person you are.
This. HoF is based on career stats/accomplishments not, if you were a crappy teammate or not.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 09-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

I agree that some people might fight, but at the end, it will be near impossible to refute his impact on the field. I think that it's important to remember that while yes, every team was very happy to get rid of him, those same teams fell over themselves to acquire him...despite his issues. That speaks to his supreme level of talent and ability.

His personality is frustratingly brash, but some other important points. Aside from contract disputes (and an overblown pill-popping incident) he's never been an off the field problem. He's never been a public menace, he embraced (and was embraced in return) each community he became a part of and did some positive things there, he generates a fair amount of lasting support from teammates wherever he goes, he works his tail off, is willing to help and mentor younger players on the team, etc.

IMO, the list of his positive traits outweighs his negative ones. It's just that his negative ones draw so much attention since "attention grabbing" is a part of his issues...lol. Add in his unquestionable production, which is the key point anyway (a point that many have brought up already), and it's much harder to make a case against him.

Bottom line, he's a Hall of Famer. No question in my mind.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 16

I'd say no. The Hall of Fame is about the best football players, not the best stats. Granted, the latter often times indicates the former, but in this case, I'm not so sure.

Three seperate NFL franchises have decided that their football team would be better off without Owens, regardless of his stats, and it looks like we're on the way to a fourth team reaching that conclusion.

I'd put him in a Hall of Very Good, but I think his attitude and the friction that he has created with teammates and coaches everywhere he has gone should keep him out of the Hall of Fame.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »