Home

Why are the Dallas Cowboys still labeled "America's Team"?

This is a discussion on Why are the Dallas Cowboys still labeled "America's Team"? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #25
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34
Re: Why are the Dallas Cowboys still labeled "America's Team"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
Because of a picture of the Best stadium in the world?....uh okay sure.
Well...that, too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Not necessarily. Much like the Yankees, they are most easily identified the world over in their sport. Don't have to be popular to stand out.

They're clearly still relevant (contrary to the OP's original suggestion). People seem to care a bit too much about what they do. Part of it nowadays is Jerry Jones doing ANYTHING to keep his team in the media...good or bad.

I personally have never referred to them as "America's Team" with any seriousness, and I'm a fan. I do understand their polarizing nature though. You learn to live with the hatred and scrutiny as much as you learn to live with the over-enthusiastic fans who still think it's the 90s...lol
I guess, but the name originated back in the 70's when the Cowboys had more fans than anyone all across the US, everyone loved them, they were always the Nationally televised game, etc. Back then the name actually made sense, but now it's almost reversed...you have more haters than you do actual fans. lol. I guess that's how it is in todays day and age though.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 09-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #27
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
Yeah, and that includes stupidity. lol.
It also includes no recession in TEXAS!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #28
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4ever
The Cowboys have not been relevant for over a decade now and have been mediocre at best. They have an overrated and overhyped QB that can't win a playoff game if his life depended on it. Every year the media's expectations are always high, yet they fail miserably time and time again. I will say this though, the Cowboys probably have he best looking cheerleaders in the league.

I say it's time for the Dallas Cowboys to drop the moniker of America's Team since they are not, nor have they ever been, a team favored by a majority of the population, and in reality, more Americans dislike the team than like them. Of course, a few Cowboys fans disagree with my thoughts.

I can understand the glorification of the New York Yankees and the Los Angeles Lakers because of history and tradition, but if the same applies to football, then shouldn't the Green Bay Packers take over that moniker?
Good gawd almighty, for the 1,000,000th time, the Cowboys had nothing to do with this. However, it is entirely true that they are the premiere franchise in the league.

NFL Films named the Cowboys "America's Team." Here's why.

Tex Schramm was a genius. Early on, he volunteered to travel more than any other franchise and took on the associated expense. He agreed to be in the same division as New York, Philly, and Washington - three HUGE media markets.

He also volunteered to play in the Thanksgiving game when none of the other franchises wanted anything to do with it. He agreed provided that Dallas ALWAYS played on Thanksgiving.

What did that do? It put the Cowboys in the living room's of the largest media markets in the country virtually every weekend, and it made the Cowboys part of everybody's Thanksgiving every year.

And what did that do? It created tons of fans that love the Cowboys, and tons of fans that hate them.

What makes Dallas "America's Team" (I hate that term) is not just the sheer number of fans, but the number of fans that hate the Cowboys. Just like the Yankees.

The Cowboys still have, and it's not even close, more fans across the country than any other team. They also have more fans that hate them than any other team, bar none.

But for once and for all, Dallas did not name itself "America's Team."
Old 09-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #29
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I wonder if people would be lashing out at the Steelers if Art Rooney had accepted NFL Films' offer rather then saying no and it being pinned on the Cowboys?

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

I don't understand why this matters and why people care. It's just a freaking nickname. Who gives a crap? Get over it. Why does it matter if they're named America's Team? Seriously.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #31
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
I don't understand why this matters and why people care. It's just a freaking nickname. Who gives a crap? Get over it. Why does it matter if they're named America's Team? Seriously.
People care because it's matters. It matters because they're America's Team!

j/k...I agree.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #32
Banned

Laettner32's Arena

They are called Americas Team because like America they are morally bankrupt, past their prime, spend money they don't have, could care less about Johnny Punchclock/Suzy Housecoat, sold their soul to corporate money, represent something they aren't, are overrated, and still have the best looking women anywhere.

---

Nah, for real I am a Cowboy fan. That is our nickname, we've had it since I've been born. It is a great nickname, so good that many other teams wish they had it...but know they can't.

It is A NICKNAME only, get over it! By this thread going on this long only confirms its truth. Every year the media tosses the notion that the winner of the SB is the "new Americas Team" but it never stays, and never will.

Pop Quiz hotshot, name the team after I give you the nickname....Steel Curtain?...Bronx Bombers?..Purple People Eaters?...Monsters of the Midway?....Americas Team?...get it?

You can't deny it...Dallas is "Americas Team". If Alex Trebek asked you for Final Jeopardy for a million dollars..."The name Americas Team refers to this NFL franchise."...what are you gonna write down? Duh.

It doesn't mean that Dallas is more popular than everyone (although they maybe) it is just our handle. And you can't have it.

Last edited by Laettner32; 09-29-2009 at 07:00 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »