Home

Why are the Dallas Cowboys still labeled "America's Team"?

This is a discussion on Why are the Dallas Cowboys still labeled "America's Team"? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Pro

dragon4ever's Arena

OVR: 9
Why are the Dallas Cowboys still labeled "America's Team"?

The Cowboys have not been relevant for over a decade now and have been mediocre at best. They have an overrated and overhyped QB that can't win a playoff game if his life depended on it. Every year the media's expectations are always high, yet they fail miserably time and time again. I will say this though, the Cowboys probably have he best looking cheerleaders in the league.

I say it's time for the Dallas Cowboys to drop the moniker of America's Team since they are not, nor have they ever been, a team favored by a majority of the population, and in reality, more Americans dislike the team than like them. Of course, a few Cowboys fans disagree with my thoughts.

I can understand the glorification of the New York Yankees and the Los Angeles Lakers because of history and tradition, but if the same applies to football, then shouldn't the Green Bay Packers take over that moniker?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Isildur's Heir

McLite's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Why are the Dallas Cowboys still labeled "America's Team"?

Could this not go in the other Dallas Cowboys bash threads? Same song...different tune.

First...what sort of logic would have the Packers being America's team? The Packers have been to 4 SB's...winning 3. The Cowboys have been to 8 SB's...winning 5. If anything the Steeler's should be America's team because they have won 6 SB's.

Second...of course more people dislike the Cowboys than like them. The majority of the people in this country dislike the other teams and favor "their" team. Nobody is favored by the majority.

As for the moniker they were given the name in the 70's...when they played in 5 SB's. Landry was a professional icon, they had a beloved QB, and had many unique personalities that played on both sides of the ball. They were a huge draw in the Super Bowl's and sold out many games. Their cheerleaders were nationally known and they had a ton of fans outside the country.

It was just a nickname that stuck. What should we do...have a vote every decade for the "new" America's team? We could have given it to the 49'ers in the 80's...maybe back to the Cowboys again in the 90's...and how about the Pat's for the 00's? The new decade is almost here...better get your vote in.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

yep, romo couldn't win a playoff game if his life depended on it. He's had TWO PLAYOFF GAMES.

Why do people act like he's been in the nfl for 10 years and has been in the playoffs each year? So stupid...

I do agree that the Cowboys being "america's team" is silly. Any team being dubbed "america's team" is silly. Although maybe it is a fitting title. That entire country seems to be devided and the opinion of the cowboys is divided so bam, fits I guess.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Like it was said above it was a nickname given in the '70s and back then the Cowboys WERE indeed America's team. The availability of games on TV was a lot more limited then then it is now. The Cowboys were almost ALWAYS the national Sunday game and made more then one appearance a year on MNF.

It's like the Yanks they're sometimes still referred to as the Bronx Bombers even though that nickname originated 50 years ago at least.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Same reason Notre Dame has their own channel still.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
Same reason Notre Dame has their own channel still.
I didn't know Notre Dame owns NBC

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Last time I checked, every NFL team plays in America.

Hence, every team is America's team.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo
yep, romo couldn't win a playoff game if his life depended on it. He's had TWO PLAYOFF GAMES.

Why do people act like he's been in the nfl for 10 years and has been in the playoffs each year? So stupid...

I do agree that the Cowboys being "america's team" is silly. Any team being dubbed "america's team" is silly. Although maybe it is a fitting title. That entire country seems to be devided and the opinion of the cowboys is divided so bam, fits I guess.
when his team doesnt even make the playoffs because of him its just as bad. he has choked every chance he gets late in the year and hasn't shown anything as far as being a leader and an elite qb goes yet is tagged as one

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »