Home

I have a genuine question about Tony Romo

This is a discussion on I have a genuine question about Tony Romo within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
Pro

dragon4ever's Arena

OVR: 9
I have a genuine question about Tony Romo

Do you guys think that Tony Romo is an elite QB? Would you put him in the same category as the likes of Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees, or does he belong in the same category as Donovan McNabb, Big Ben and Kurt Warner?

I always thought that Tony Romo was overrated, but I'm sure the fans in Dallas would say otherwise. Here is list of QB's that I think are better than Tony Romo:

Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Philip Rivers
Tom Brady
Kurt Warner
Donovan McNabb
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Jay Cutler

That puts Tony Romo somewhere in the middle of the pack. I think that he is certainly capable, but I don't think Dallas could ever win a Super Bowl with him at the helm. They would have to have an excellent running game and stellar defense, kind of like the year Tampa Bay or Baltimore won it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: I have a genuine question about Tony Romo

What makes Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, or Carson Palmer better than Romo? None have won a playoff game either. Three have only had one good season. Two haven't even played in a playoff game. Why is Romo held to a different standard than every other starting QB? If the failures of the Cowboys are thrown onto Romo's shoulders, Cutler certainly deserves some flack for leading the most monumental December collapse in NFL history.

Romo has put up historically great efficiency stats in his three years as a starter. He has had several Pro Bowl caliber seasons. Like it or not, he's a proven QB. As evidenced by how terrible they were without him last season, he is not the product of a great supporting cast. He is a valuable piece of their offense.

People need to get over the Cowboys hate already. Unless you're an Eagles, Giants, or Redskins fan, it's really just annoying. I understand that you're sick of the overexposure they get on ESPN, but the bandwagon hatred for a team that's largely been irrelevant for a decade and a half is just sad and pathetic.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
Pro

dragon4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
What makes Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, or Carson Palmer better than Romo? None have won a playoff game either. Three have only had one good season. Two haven't even played in a playoff game. Why is Romo held to a different standard than every other starting QB? If the failures of the Cowboys are thrown onto Romo's shoulders, Cutler certainly deserves some flack for leading the most monumental December collapse in NFL history.

Romo has put up historically great efficiency stats in his three years as a starter. He has had several Pro Bowl caliber seasons. Like it or not, he's a proven QB. As evidenced by how terrible they were without him last season, he is not the product of a great supporting cast. He is a valuable piece of their offense.

People need to get over the Cowboys hate already. Unless you're an Eagles, Giants, or Redskins fan, it's really just annoying. I understand that you're sick of the overexposure they get on ESPN, but the bandwagon hatred for a team that's largely been irrelevant for a decade and a half is just sad and pathetic.
A great QB can make up for an average line, but not a below-average one. Steve Young and Joe Montana did this to an extent, but those lines had their strengths. Even more significantly, a great offensive line can turn an average QB into a good one. That is exactly what is happening in Dallas. Romo is not exceptionally elusive; he does not have flawless decision-making skills, and he turns the ball over. He throws Brett Favre-like interceptions and gets away with it in the same way.

People believe Romo possesses something special because he is succeeding where those before him failed. But take a closer look. What does that really mean? It means he's better than an over-the-hill Drew Bledsoe and an under-the-hill Vinny Testaverde. And maybe not even that. After all, those guys did not have Terrell Owens, Marion Barber, or an offensive line with this much experience and cohesion.

Perhaps the most crippling flaw in Romo's game is his most glaring, which makes his exceptional reputation all the more confounding. He has yet to perform when something important—really important—is on the line. And I'm not talking bright lights and big audiences. I'm talking survival. I'm talking championships. I'm talking fumbling snaps on field goals in the playoffs. I'm talking letting an underdog march into your stadium and take the NFC Championship from you.

So what is Tony Romo, objectively? He is a good QB that can steer a uniquely talented offense through games they should win and then wilt when resistance increases. Sure, he puts up obscene numbers and dates gorgeous women. Put most QBs in the NFL behind that Dallas offense, and I bet the results are the same.

That is the thing about a great offense. If a QB knows he has time to throw and talent waiting to receive the ball, it's easy to be confident. Once a player has confidence, his natural ability and talent shines through. And let's face it; most QBs in the NFL have the necessary talent.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

It's the freaking NFL, the top 10-12 QB's change weekly. He isn't overrated, unless you're a sheep and you don't watch football.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4ever
A great QB can make up for an average line, but not a below-average one. Steve Young and Joe Montana did this to an extent, but those lines had their strengths. Even more significantly, a great offensive line can turn an average QB into a good one. That is exactly what is happening in Dallas. Romo is not exceptionally elusive; he does not have flawless decision-making skills, and he turns the ball over. He throws Brett Favre-like interceptions and gets away with it in the same way.
That great offensive line let Brad Johnson get sacked eight times in three starts. Romo makes them look better. He is not just riding the coattails of a supremely talented team. He adds something to their offense.

Quote:
People believe Romo possesses something special because he is succeeding where those before him failed. But take a closer look. What does that really mean? It means he's better than an over-the-hill Drew Bledsoe and an under-the-hill Vinny Testaverde. And maybe not even that. After all, those guys did not have Terrell Owens, Marion Barber, or an offensive line with this much experience and cohesion.
You're holding Romo to a higher standard than what is fair. Jay Cutler had a top five offensive line, amazing weapons, and a running game that averaged more yards per carry than the Vikings and still failed. No other QB is diminished because of his supporting cast yet Romo is.

Quote:
Perhaps the most crippling flaw in Romo's game is his most glaring, which makes his exceptional reputation all the more confounding. He has yet to perform when something important—really important—is on the line. And I'm not talking bright lights and big audiences. I'm talking survival. I'm talking championships. I'm talking fumbling snaps on field goals in the playoffs. I'm talking letting an underdog march into your stadium and take the NFC Championship from you.
The fumbled snap has nothing to do with his abilities as a QB.

Once again, a number of the QBs you listed as better than him have failed to win playoff games. One hasn't even had a winning season as a starter. The double standard you are applying when discussing Romo shows me that you just don't like him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

The question I have is who exactly overrates this guy besides Dallas fans. I think it became fairly apparent after last year that he isn't a top level QB, yet.

The "media" if you will hopped off his stick quickly IMO, which was on him so quickly because it's Dallas. He's still a top 10-12 QB, so that attention should still be there.

The bottom line is you have your Brees', Brady's, Manning's, and then you have that next level, the list in the original post which should include Romo and Farve, and then everyone else. Outside of the top three, that next level is a fluid list.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:39 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 17

He was crazy hyped when he first got the job....that was years ago. He's properly rated now. If it weren't for this Dallas lovefest bc of the new stadium I don't think we would really even be hearing about him.

He's obviously not in the Manning, Brees, Brady tier.

I think Cutler stinks by the way.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

From a pure statistical perspective, and leaving game context completely out of the picture, he's had one of the best 2.5 year stretches of any quarterback in NFL history; according to Pro-Football-Reference, he has the second-best career passer rating amongst active quarterbacks (behind only Peyton Manning) and third all-time (behind Peyton and Steve Young, who tops the list).

In terms of what skills Romo brings to the table: he's got a reasonably strong arm, he CAN be a deadly accurate passer, he's one of the most elusive quarterbacks in the league in the pocket, and he has a bit of a flair about him that allows him to make normally stupid plays work. He obviously has issues with consistency, leadership, making bonehead plays as the result of the same flair that he can make plays with sometimes, and, sometimes, securing the football while running and getting sacked.

All that said, I'm not calling Tony Romo a great quarterback until he wins something and puts up some positive numbers in a meaningful situation. There aren't many quarterbacks I'd swap Romo for, however, and there certainly isn't a realistically attainable passer I'd swap him for either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »