Home

Week 4: Chargers at Steelers

This is a discussion on Week 4: Chargers at Steelers within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44
Week 4: Chargers at Steelers

Big game for both teams.

San Diego needs to win to prove to themselves they can beat Pittsburgh and stay within a game of the division leading Broncos.

Pittsburgh needs to win because going 1-3 in the first quarter of the season would be nearly catostrophic but not unrecoverable.

Vasquez should be back in at RG for the Chargers but my gut tells me LT and Merriman will be held out to give them the extra time to heal with the bye week coming up after this game.

Apparently FWP is battling turf toe and may be held out of practice. That kind of injury can be a nagging one all season long for a back like Parker.

If Rivers and the Chargers 2nd ranked passing offense can get any time to throw then he should do a good job against the Pittsburgh pass defense (18th) with their relatively shorter DB's. I don't expect to see any success in the running game by the Bolts until after the bye week.

The Steelers suspect running game (27th) versus the Chargers weak rush defense (26th).

Something has to give.

Last edited by SportsTop; 09-30-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Week 4: Chargers at Steelers

Really looking forward to this one. Steelers staring at 1-3. Chargers trying to avoid last year's drama in a very weak division.

I don't have a lot of confidence in San Diego's ability to travel across the country. They've struggled with that. However, it's not cold yet, so as long as it doesn't rain, I like their chances.

Pittsburgh's o-line is weak. Seems to be catching up with them.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

A couple of fun facts (courtesy uniontribune.com):

Pittsburgh's downfall has been the fourth quarter, where it's been outscored 24-0 the past two weeks, although it didn't help that Limas Sweed dropped a TD pass Sunday (which likely will buy him a place on the inactive list this week). The Steelers haven't run the ball well, averaging just 3.3 yards per carry, and Ben Roethlisberger has thrown four interceptions. The defense, which had 29 takeaways last season, has not forced even one the last two weeks, and Pittsburgh has just five sacks this season after getting 51 last year.

SERIES HISTORY

It's one of the most remarkable stats in football – the Chargers have never won a regular-season game in 13 tries at Pittsburgh. Most of the games weren't even close until last year's 11-10 Steelers escape. The Steelers also beat the Chargers in the playoffs 35-24 to take a 21-8 series lead. Pittsburgh's only loss to the Chargers in eight games since the 1994 AFC Championship Game was in 2006.

NUMBERS

-10 Total yardage Steelers allowed in first quarter at Cincinnati

1 Rushing TD allowed by Steelers this season

4 Passes deflected at line by Steelers defense at Cincinnati

10-1 Steelers' record in prime-time games under coach Mike Tomlin

19 Total yardage by Steelers offense in fourth quarter at Cincinnati
Old 09-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #4

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Finally I don't have to watch this game online for once. Hopefully the Chargers can pull this out and snap that losing streak aganist the Steelers.

Is Troy out for this game or will he be making a come back? I can see the Steelers holding him out past the bye week.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

Polamalu is out this week.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Steelers seem to be a completely different team and presence without Troy P. However, doesn't it take a couple more weeks in the season before Norv's boys "turn things around" and starts looking like a SB contender? I'll go with the Steelers.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #7

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
Polamalu is out this week.
I was kinda hoping he'd be in but, I'm definitely not sad about it. Chargers need to get that redzone offense going, because they still can not score. I know Vasquez will likely play in this game so that should help the run a bit more. I'm hoping they hold LT out and Merriman (which is likely) after the bye week, theres no need to rush.

The Defense showed some swagger out there in the Miami game and hopefully they'll show up again. The experience the back ups have now is starting to show and hopefully they'll get a a little better with the reps theyve been gettin.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
MVP

jorge380's Arena

OVR: 13

With Troy being out,expect a big game from Gates.Troy matches up well with Gates and seems to have his number.The corners for Pittsburgh are going to have alot of trouble with our tall wideouts.On some formations Chargers are practically running 4 tightends out there.San Diego wins big this week,and everybody jumps back on the bandwagon.Go Bolts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »