Home

Is Jack Del Rio right to do this?

This is a discussion on Is Jack Del Rio right to do this? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Is Jack Del Rio right to do this?

It sounded like Del Rio's only problem is that it is on Friday. I don't know, but its probably not that bad. Its 1 hour and you are talking about the team you are playing.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
It sounded like Del Rio's only problem is that it is on Friday. I don't know, but its probably not that bad. Its 1 hour and you are talking about the team you are playing.
But it's nothing organized by the team. Maybe Del Rio's afraid that his QB would inadvertently divulge some sort of "top secret" information...?

I mean I've got no problem w/ any headcoach wanting to do this. The players can do all of these types of things in the offseason, but when the season is in session they're at the whim and control of the HC and franchise.

They control their paycheck, they have the final say.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 8

if it is in his contract that he needs to get permission for this type of stuff (what I heard) then yes, he is right to do it. If it isn't in his contract to seek permission then no, he isn't really right to do that unless of course there are other "rules" they have established for players outside of their job during the season. What a guy does on his free time is his own business as long as he isn't giving plays/team info away or doing something that will get him arrested.

I like what Garrard's intentions were with the show but really, spend the time studying and bettering your ability. It isn't like he is a Peyton Manning or Brees...the guy has a long way to go before he is close to being an elite QB in terms of decision making and general knowledge of what's going on during a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
Fly
Rookie

Fly's Arena

OVR: 5

I don't really see a problem with either side here. I can understand why Garrard wants to do the show, as it does give fans interaction with an NFL starting QB, which is nothing but good for the game.

On the other side though, I can understand Del Rio's concern about his QB fielding calls on a radio show so late in the week. Some people say Del Rio is trying to be a dictator and all of that, but it's his football team, so if he doesn't want Garrard to do it, then so be it.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

OVR: 15

I don't see anyway Garrard doing a radio show is detrimental to him or the team in any way. It's in his free time anyway, so why should it matter what he does? That's the time in his schedule that he is alotted to not have to focus on football. If anything he's focusing more by sitting around talking about the game, rather than doing soemthing completely different.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4

You can't govern how people run their lives, which is what Del Rio implies to do at the end of that quote about being with family and whatnot.

I can understand restricting the show on some conflict of interest basis, or something, but, this reasoning seems silly to me.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
Banned

Brankles's Arena

OVR: 23

I was listening to this debate on the radio the other day here in Miami. They brought up some good points.

-Is it in Garrard's contract not to do radio shows? Many players have clauses in their contracts for that.

-What if Garrard spent his one hour of radio time eating a two hour dinner with his family instead? Would Del Rio stop that as well?

-This is an alternate form of income for Garrard. Is it legal for Del Rio to stop him from doing this?

-Who is more important to this team... Jack Del Rio or David Garrard?

-What is David Garrard talking about on the show? Is he talking badly about teammates, opponents, and the organization?

-Dwyane Wade used to come on weekly to the show I was listening to and no one stopped that. Wade is the most important player on his team and has been for some time.

I don't see the big deal as long as Garrard's not causing controversies or giving away team information that would benefit opponents.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

The radio show isn't the issue, its because its on Friday. Other players, Spicer and maybe more, have done radio shows on Tuesday or Wednesday. Del Rio gave some more answers and his thoughts were all focused on Garrard is out in the community every Monday/Tuesday, the media talks to him everyday, do you really need to talk to him on Friday evening?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »