Home

Dallas: Time to fire Phillips?

This is a discussion on Dallas: Time to fire Phillips? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Time to fire Phillips?
Yes 33 56.90%
No 17 29.31%
Not sure just yet 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Dallas: Time to fire Phillips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
I get it you're not a football fan and dont like to see well run organizations.
Again if it's a well run organization you want to see, the head coach is the least of the Cowboys problems.

Tough to win consistently in the NFL if you lack talent, and the Cowboys lack talent at key areas. Hence their struggles.

Would I have hired Phillips in the first place? No, he's at his best a solid defensive coordinator, but he's never shown to be a great head coach. But he's not the biggest or sole reason for their struggles.

He didn't draft those players, he didn't sign, release and trade the players they have. He didn't hire Jason Garrett to run the offense. etc, etc, etc.

You want to blame someone for the way the team is run, it starts at the top.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 22

Don't fire him now unless you really want this thing to go down the crapper. Let this team continue to grow this season. See what happens in the next few weeks. Lets see what happens when Felix Jones gets back. Just don't fire him now. That will only ensure a more horrible season.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #19
Rookie

Wenkinator's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
None of those guys come to Dallas unless they get complete control, and that ain't happening.
I think I mentioned this...

Quote:
You guys are nuts if you think you're getting Shanahan, Holmgren, Cowher or Gruden.
Which is why I'd exclude Shanahan, and call Cowher a huge longshot.

Quote:
Holmgren is burned out, and probably will take longer off, if he ever returns, and Gruden is probably 2 years away from returning himself. He burned himself out in Tampa as well.
Actually, Holmgren said somewhere that he was wanting to give it another go. And with what he did with Hasselback and Favre, I could see Jerry wanting to turn Romo over to him.

And I am willing to bet Gruden wants the job. Just the way he gets when talking about the Cowboys make me think he would want to interview. I dont know if I really want him, but hes that fiery guy that Dallas fans want. It'll at least be fun to watch. Haha.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #20
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenkinator
I think I mentioned this...

Which is why I'd exclude Shanahan, and call Cowher a huge longshot.

Actually, Holmgren said somewhere that he was wanting to give it another go. And with what he did with Hasselback and Favre, I could see Jerry wanting to turn Romo over to him.

And I am willing to bet Gruden wants the job. Just the way he gets when talking about the Cowboys make me think he would want to interview. I dont know if I really want him, but hes that fiery guy that Dallas fans want. It'll at least be fun to watch. Haha.
It will be another guy in a long line of guys that Jerry feels he can control.

I wouldn't get my hopes up, thinking a big name coach is going to show up in Dallas.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #21
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
I get it you're not a football fan and dont like to see well run organizations.Anything is better than this.Besides they don't have a head Coach Now anyways...
That makes little sense, and even less in response to his reason for voting no. Basically you're saying a well run organization fires middle management and the face of PR to help turn things around when the problems are clearly at the top?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 22

These big name coaches will not come into Dallas unless Jerry gives up some control...which is a longshot.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
Rookie

Wenkinator's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Again if it's a well run organization you want to see, the head coach is the least of the Cowboys problems.

Tough to win consistently in the NFL if you lack talent, and the Cowboys lack talent at key areas. Hence their struggles.

Would I have hired Phillips in the first place? No, he's at his best a solid defensive coordinator, but he's never shown to be a great head coach. But he's not the biggest or sole reason for their struggles.

He didn't draft those players, he didn't sign, release and trade the players they have. He didn't hire Jason Garrett to run the offense. etc, etc, etc.

You want to blame someone for the way the team is run, it starts at the top.
Well this past offseason we saw Phillips with more control. That draft was mainly him. The signings were him. At least I think they were...
Old 10-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #24
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenkinator
Well this past offseason we saw Phillips with more control. That draft was mainly him. The signings were him. At least I think they were...
The draft and the signing have Jerry's stamp all over them. But this draft and this year's FA's signings are just part of the problem. Their personel problems started the second Parcells walked out the door.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »