Home

NFL's Most thrilling players

This is a discussion on NFL's Most thrilling players within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Pro

dragon4ever's Arena

OVR: 9
NFL's Most thrilling players

Peter King > INSIDE THE NFL

"10. Jim Brown

He was far more power than speed. But Jim Brown, one against 11, was worth the price of admission for a decade of greatness. He'd run over a linebacker like Sam Huff one week, then around a defensive back like Willie Wood the next.

9. Lawrence Taylor

Watching the Giants linebacker run around Joe Jacobs and Irv Pankey and the great tackles of the day was one of the great thrills of football in the '80s. He was a sprinter/power forward/vampire among linebackers, determined to destroy the man with the ball.

8. Fran Tarkenton

The Hall of Fame quarterback turned scrambling into an art form. You've got to see one of his old romps on NFL Films to believe how fast, lithe and athletic he was. Imagine a more prolific Doug Flutie. That was Tarkenton.

7. Don Hutson

Why is he on this list? Simple: Hutson, a star receiver for Green Bay, could run by corners (he was clocked at 9.5 in the 100) and scored 99 touchdowns. He was also a feared hitter and interceptor on defense.

6. Devin Hester

He hasn't played long enough to be on such an august list, and he declined a bit in 2008 when he was force-fed the wideout position. But the Bears return ace is the one home-run hitter at the return position who scares special teams coaches into kicking away from him on every return.

5. Buddy Young

It's a shame he only played in 101 pro games, many of which were in the old All America Football Conference (he played in the AAFC for three seasons and later six years in the NFL). Young was a 5-foot-4 running back. That's right -- he was the original Smurf. Young wouldn't get a sniff at an NFL roster today, but what a phenom he was then. Three times he averaged more than 15 yards per punt return and more than 28 yards per kick return four times. The late George Young, the former Giants GM, called him the most exciting player he ever saw.

4. Randall Cunningham

You know what I remember most about Randall? A 93-yard punt! True story. He punted it that far against the Giants while with the Eagles, pinned in their own territory on third down. A booming punt and a long roll. And how how about the time Carl Banks had him a quarter-inch from a roll-out sack ... and Cunningham popped up and threw for a touchdown. Strange guy, amazing player.

4. Bo Jackson

How awful if you're in your late 20s, a huge football fan, and never got to see Bo run. The speed, the power, the change-of-direction ... breathtaking. The anticipation before one of his games in a way-too-short pro career (38 games, 515 carries) with the Raiders was scintillating. Too bad he dislocated his hip in 1989 against the Bengals. Like Sayers, he too, would have been an all-time great.

3. Deion Sanders

It's not thrilling to watch a shutdown corner ply his trade, but Deion Sanders' ability to cat-and-mouse quarterbacks is unprecedented in NFL history. And his light feet and tap-dance moves made his return ability the best in football. Do not let his mouth disguise his greatness for you.

2. Barry Sanders

Putting Sanders, who played 10 seasons for the Lions, at No. 2 was a tough call. Sayers wins the top spot because he was stronger, but that shouldn't diminish the thrill of the most exciting player I have covered in 25 years of writing about the NFL. The way I describe Sanders best is: I held my breath every time he took a handoff.

1. Gale Sayers

The Windy City legend's meteoric career was cut short by knee woes, but no player ever thrilled the masses like him. Late in his rookie year, he touched the ball 14 times on a slippery Wrigley Field pitch ... and scored six times, including an 85-yard punt return. If better surgical techniques existed 43 years ago, Sayers might have been the greatest player ever."

Devin Hester? You got to be kidding me. How the hell did this guy make the list? Peter King is off his rocker. I actually think that dude returning kicks from KC a few ago was more exciting to watch than Devin Hester. I can't remember his name at the moment.

I agree that Barry Sanders, Deoin Sanders, Jim Brown and Lawrence Taylor rightfully deserve to be on this list, but the others are all questionable, especially Devin Hester. Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Marshall Faulk and Derrick Thomas should be on this list just to name a few.

Who is on your top 10 list (past or present) of NFL's Most Likely to Amaze?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NFL's Most thrilling players

Barry will always be number 1 for me because I grew up watching him but the highlights I've seen of Gale Sayers are just ridiculous. I wish he would've played longer so that there was more tape of him.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 10-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
Pro

TeixeiraFanatic's Arena

OVR: 14

How about Earl Campbell?
NCAA: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Old 10-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

"Far more power than speed" implies Jim Brown had no speed. He ran a better 40 than a lot of wide receivers today without training for it and with pads on. One of the most physically talented players to ever step on a football field.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 10-15-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
MVP

jth1331's Arena

OVR: 4

I guess that QB wasn't electric enough for Mr. King?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

Barry Sanders is the only football player I would pay to watch on TV. I could understand people not thinking he's the GOAT, but he is without a shadow of a doubt the most exciting player ever.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4ever
Devin Hester? You got to be kidding me. How the hell did this guy make the list? Peter King is off his rocker. I actually think that dude returning kicks from KC a few ago was more exciting to watch than Devin Hester. I can't remember his name at the moment.
Dante Hall. Yeah, he had some pretty sick return ability.

Barry Sanders and Troy Polamalu are the names that come to mind for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »