Home

Watch Ray Lewis the next time the Ravens play

This is a discussion on Watch Ray Lewis the next time the Ravens play within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Watch Ray Lewis the next time the Ravens play

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
And what you don't understand is the team. Ray Lewis cannot come off the field, not because he is the emotional leader, but because there is no other linebacker who is going to know what the F is going on to get everyone lined up properly.
Actually neither of us knows how that would work out if it was designed since the off season began, nor do we know how the coaching staff/front office has been thinking about this.

Anyway, this should've been taken into consideration last year already.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
You guys act like we don't watch him play EVERY WEEK. No one is saying he's not declining that's something that happens to every player. I'm not sure what the point is. You guys act like his decline means he's horrible and I think that's why you guys are getting kick back because while he's declining, he's far from horrible.
I never said he was horrible but he is becoming more of a liability. Can we agree that he is at age where there be one game that he won't have it anymore. Ray football IQ will only take him so far before Ozzie start drafting/signing free agents to replace him.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Monkey
Actually neither of us knows how that would work out if it was designed since the off season began, nor do we know how the coaching staff/front office has been thinking about this.

I agree, it is better to let go a little early than a little late.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Monkey

It couldn't. We switched coordinators and it wasn't clear what he wanted to do. And given the way they are playing right now, I'm still not sure a lot of guys are buying into what he wants to do. One thing is clear, Lewis and Jarrett Johnson are the only two guys that are staying true to their assignments. Gooden was coming off hernia surgery and McClain is new to the ILB position for the Ravens. So they really didn't have much of a choice.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #45
Banned

Quote:
It couldn't. We switched coordinators and it wasn't clear what he wanted to do. And given the way they are playing right now, I'm still not sure a lot of guys are buying into what he wants to do. One thing is clear, Lewis and Jarrett Johnson are the only two guys that are staying true to their assignments. Gooden was coming off hernia surgery and McClain is new to the ILB position for the Ravens. So they really didn't have much of a choice.
I always liked rex, so how different is the defense now?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I never said he was horrible but he is becoming more of a liability. Can we agree that he is at age where there be one game that he won't have it anymore. Ray football IQ will only take him so far before Ozzie start drafting/signing free agents to replace him.

Again, I don't think that was ever the point of dispute since this is something that happens for every player. It seemed like another underlying discourse was at play that caused the kick back.

Now, when you say becoming more of a liability what do you mean? If by liability you guys mean it is disadvantageous to use him I disagree with the claim completely for a few reasons, one of which I stated in a previous post. It would be more disadvantageous at this point to not have him on the field. Secondly, you cannot mean a liability in coverage because the coaches know this and they do not ask him to cover TE's man to man nor wide receivers. He covers backs on swing passes just fine. He's not a liability against the run, he gets other players in the front 7 on D in position, he's the signal caller, so I'm not sure what you guys mean he's "becoming a liability." His physical skills are on the decline sure, but does that mean he's a liability? Not necessarily.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #47
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I always liked rex, so how different is the defense now?

Unfortunately, a lot. I don't like it. Very passive, bend but don't break style. Blitz just a little bit but not a lot. I hate it actually because I don't think it takes the personnel into account. The style of defense that Mattison preaches is about being "fundamentally sound." Well that's great if you have the defensive line for it and we do not. Our defense is built with Nolan and Rex Ryan in mind. Nolan installed the 3-4, Rex continued it and added his "organized chaos" to it. Mattison really wants to run a 4-3 defense that is technically sound and relies on the front 4 for pressure. We just do not have those kind of horses, which is why I hate the defense the way it is right now. Absolutely hate it. He is a college defensive coordinator still trying to find his way in the NFL game and he's doing a lot of hit and miss. Seems like a lot more missing than hitting.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #48
Banned

Quote:
Unfortunately, a lot. I don't like it. Very passive, bend but don't break style. Blitz just a little bit but not a lot. I hate it actually because I don't think it takes the personnel into account. The style of defense that Mattison preaches is about being "fundamentally sound." Well that's great if you have the defensive line for it and we do not. Our defense is built with Nolan and Rex Ryan in mind. Nolan installed the 3-4, Rex continued it and added his "organized chaos" to it. Mattison really wants to run a 4-3 defense that is technically sound and relies on the front 4 for pressure. We just do not have those kind of horses, which is why I hate the defense the way it is right now. Absolutely hate it. He is a college defensive coordinator still trying to find his way in the NFL game and he's doing a lot of hit and miss. Seems like a lot more missing than hitting.
Wow, it was always a joy to watch the Ravens play defense. I am surprise that Ozzie would bring someone in with a scheme that doesn't fit his personel.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »