Home

Watch Ray Lewis the next time the Ravens play

This is a discussion on Watch Ray Lewis the next time the Ravens play within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8
Watch Ray Lewis the next time the Ravens play

You'll be amazed at how ineffective Ray is at this point in his career at anything else except stopping the run. He's potentially the best run stopper in the league right now and absolutely the best team leader as well. Obviously nothing wrong with his tackling either.

Watch him blitz next game. He runs awkwardly right INTO any blocker and then pushes and shoves a little. I saw the sack he got on a blitz this week. No blocker was within 18 yards of him and he only ran for about 6 yards. And man, did those 6 yards look awkward from an athletic point of view.

Watch him in coverage. He has no chance to physically make plays on the ball or stay with any receiver and unbelievably, he sometimes seems completely lost in coverage. I was amazed when I started seeing this.

When there's a ball carrier to be tackled he can still position himself well and shed blockers. That cause there's no quick change of where the ball is going and he doesn't need to get forwards trough a blocker. Also in the run game you can sort of wait for the runner to come to you if you're positioned well, which he is most of the time.

Right now I wouldn't change anything and let him play cause of his stature within the team and excellent run stopping but starting next off season, I'd be easing Ray into a diminished playing role or retirement.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Watch Ray Lewis the next time the Ravens play

Ummm we know this. That's why he's not to cover TE's. He can still cover backs on swing passes though. And as far as blitzing and blockers, I think what you see is a bit ill conceived. If you look at all of the Ravens rushers they all do the same mess as if they are mush rushing rather than actually rushing.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Monkey
You'll be amazed at how ineffective Ray is at this point in his career at anything else except stopping the run. He's potentially the best run stopper in the league right now and absolutely the best team leader as well. Obviously nothing wrong with his tackling either.

Watch him blitz next game. He runs awkwardly right INTO any blocker and then pushes and shoves a little. I saw the sack he got on a blitz this week. No blocker was within 18 yards of him and he only ran for about 6 yards. And man, did those 6 yards look awkward from an athletic point of view.

Watch him in coverage. He has no chance to physically make plays on the ball or stay with any receiver and unbelievably, he sometimes seems completely lost in coverage. I was amazed when I started seeing this.

When there's a ball carrier to be tackled he can still position himself well and shed blockers. That cause there's no quick change of where the ball is going and he doesn't need to get forwards trough a blocker. Also in the run game you can sort of wait for the runner to come to you if you're positioned well, which he is most of the time.

Right now I wouldn't change anything and let him play cause of his stature within the team and excellent run stopping but starting next off season, I'd be easing Ray into a diminished playing role or retirement.
I made a post about the decline of Ray blitzing and coverage this pre season. We all get old and 14 years of pro football take a toll on your body. As players get older they begin to lose their burst and I think this is what you are seeing in the best linebacker in this era.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Yeah but dude still brings it.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

He's still a beast.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

Still one of the best out there. The "U"
Old 10-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

Yeah, he doesn't have the phyiscal tools that he once did but his mind is still very sharp, ie: Ray blowing up Sproles earlier this year on 4th & short. This, more than anything else, has helped him stay ast such a high level for so long, but having great pieces around him (Ngata, Reed, Thomas, Suggs, etc etc etc) also has been able to minimize or mask his difficiencies(sp).
Old 10-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Great instincts allow him to be in the right position at the right time. Like someone said, with 14yrs in the league he can't be expected to run like he used to.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »