Home

The Kyle Orton dilemma

This is a discussion on The Kyle Orton dilemma within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #33
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: The Kyle Orton dilemma

I think this Denver team with Cutler instead of Orton, as great as Orton has been, there could be an argument that they'd be even BETTER.

Oh well, I'm sure its not anything worth thinking about.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
I really don't think Kyle Orton is this good at all. He's been protected very well most of the season, the more and more he starts to get tested, the more and more I see him start to fade.
How so?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 4

I thought Orton did an exceptional job with the Bears last season. I had no doubts about him being a good qb with Marshall, Royal, Gaffney, Stokley, and Grahm to throw too. Plus having a head coach that did a phenomanal job with Cassel last year is the reason why Denver is playing great football right now. Josh McDaniels is my early pick for coach of the year. Sorry for my spelling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
I think this Denver team with Cutler instead of Orton, as great as Orton has been, there could be an argument that they'd be even BETTER.

Oh well, I'm sure its not anything worth thinking about.
There is no question that Cutler has the physical gifts. But what about leadership? Making the right decisions at the right times in games that matter? Having a past record of winning enough games to get a team to the playoffs? Cutler historically comes up shy on all of those counts.

I have no doubt that Cutler's numbers would be better, but I'm not convinced that the Broncos would necessarily be better or that they'd be undefeated. I see the Broncos defense being mentioned a lot, but I think one thing we have to look at is what a type of QB can do to the complexion and flow of an overall team. It's an interesting thing how a QB who airs it out seems to find himself in the company of a defense that gives up more points, while on the flipside the game-manager type QB seems to find himself situated with a defense that gives up fewer points.

We've watched Orton manage the game when game managing was all that was needed. We've seen Cutler mismanage a game a number of times in the past when all that was needed was game-managing. Cutler has the gifts physically, but Orton is a smarter player especially in terms of protecting the football. He takes less risks and plays the percentages.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:34 PM   #37
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Very good points.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 13

Too much is made of his lack of arm strength but at the same time, too much is made of "his" record as a starter. QBs are not pitchers. Theyre also not boxers. Chicago had a good record largely because of other reasons. Its not really fair to use record when other QBs have to do more heavy lifting. But on the flip side, he's definitely not garbage though he has limitations.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
There is no question that Cutler has the physical gifts. But what about leadership? Making the right decisions at the right times in games that matter? Having a past record of winning enough games to get a team to the playoffs? Cutler historically comes up shy on all of those counts.

I have no doubt that Cutler's numbers would be better, but I'm not convinced that the Broncos would necessarily be better or that they'd be undefeated. I see the Broncos defense being mentioned a lot, but I think one thing we have to look at is what a type of QB can do to the complexion and flow of an overall team. It's an interesting thing how a QB who airs it out seems to find himself in the company of a defense that gives up more points, while on the flipside the game-manager type QB seems to find himself situated with a defense that gives up fewer points.

We've watched Orton manage the game when game managing was all that was needed. We've seen Cutler mismanage a game a number of times in the past when all that was needed was game-managing. Cutler has the gifts physically, but Orton is a smarter player especially in terms of protecting the football. He takes less risks and plays the percentages.
Denver was in the process of completely turning over their roster during Cutler's time as QB in Denver. Plus, if Orton is on a team with a 9th string running back and the worst defense in the nfl, as was the case last year with Cutler, its doubtful Orton sniffs .500.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #40
Rookie

fisher's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Yeah, but probably on pace to miss the playoffs again, too.

See, we've already watched Orton QB a team into playoff positioning and that was with a nothing-special receiving core (even though he got benched before ever playing in the playoffs).
Defense matters. Last year's Broncos were one of the worst defensive teams in the league (they also had seven RBs on the IR). 2005 Bears had a top tier defense and a good running game with Thomas Jones.

BTW- Orton's QB rating in 2005 was 59.7. That's not quality QB play no matter how you want to spin it.

Last edited by fisher; 10-23-2009 at 08:36 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »