Home

Randy Lerner Pissed, Says Change Coming

This is a discussion on Randy Lerner Pissed, Says Change Coming within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Randy Lerner Pissed, Says Change Coming

Bring in Marty Schottenheimer as GM and try to woo Cowher for next season and they work as a team to fix this mess.

It'd make a nice story and well...anything is better then this. Oh, and i'm sure Cowher would ban those God awful brown pants too!

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Bring in Marty Schottenheimer as GM and try to woo Cowher for next season and they work as a team to fix this mess.
I like Marty for GM but I think Mike Shanahan would be a better fit at HC.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislimb
I like Marty for GM but I think Mike Shanahan would be a better fit at HC.
I think there is less than a 1% chance that Shanahan goes somewhere where he doesn't have full control.

I would like a Marty-Gruden combo, personally...or a Marty-Whoever Marty Choose combo.

I also think it's a matter of time before Bernie is named President of Football Operations.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

Wow!

Quote:
Lerner Upset after Chicago Drubbing
randy lerner

By Steve King
OBR Reporter
Posted Nov 1, 2009

| More

The Browns owner was visibly upset with the team's play on Sunday - and had every right to be. Steve King reports on the situation from Chicago, where Randy Lerner was joined by Derek Anderson in the parade of unhappy Browns...

CHICAGO – OK, Browns fans, if you think you are mad at the way the team is playing, then you should have seen club owner Randy Lerner following Sunday’s 30-6 drubbing administered by the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field.

Now, that was MAD – in capital letters – and it could mean some very interesting – and important – discussions among the Browns’ high-level football people will be carried on as the team enters its bye week. In fact, those discussions could start as soon as Sunday night when everybody returns back home from Chicago, where the Browns fell to 1-7 at the halfway point of the season, matching their worst start since they returned to the field.

The other time came in the expansion year of 1999. That was a decade ago. So what’s the problem now?

That’s what Lerner seems to want to find out – and now.

For what close observers of the team say is the first time they can remember, the owner stood at the end of the runway leading from the field to the locker room and glared at the players and coaches as they walked off at halftime with the score already 16-0 and the Browns with just 61 yards in total offense. That was 101 less yards at that point than the Bears, who were downright awful in their own right but looked like Super Bowl contenders in comparison to the way Cleveland was playing.

“I want those guys to see me,” Lerner said.

He waited right there and glared at the players and coaches again as they came out of the locker room and took the field for the second half.

The owner was clearly fuming, as visibly irate as he’s been since he took over ownership of the club when his father, Al Lerner, passed away on Oct. 23, 2002.

“I’m tired of this (stuff)!” he said.

Later, he confided to an associate of the team, “This is terrible.”

“So what do you do?” the associate asked.

Lerner replied, “I don’t know.”

Not yet, at least.

One observer said head coach Eric Mangini after the game “felt as if the owner was looking over his shoulder.”

And maybe he was.

The observer said Lerner wants to talk specifics with Mangini, including finding out the exact role of general manager George Kokinis, whose hiring he lobbied for strongly with the owner after he was hired as coach. Kokinis keeps a very low profile and has talked publicly only a few times since being hired 10 months ago from the Baltimore Ravens.

Lerner was still extremely upset when he talked with several reporters afterward. Like the fans, he’s quite confused about what’s going on with the quarterback situation. Starting for the fifth straight game since taking over for Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson was just 6-of-17 passing for 76 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions for a quarterback rating of – get this – 10.5.

Bo Derek was a perfect 10 in the movie “10” three decades ago. That was outstanding. Having a passing rating like that is just plain ugly.

For the season, Anderson is 68-of-154 passing (42.9 percent) for two TDs, nine interceptions and a 36.2 rating. If he continues on that pace, then he will set team records for lowest percent of completions and lowest rating for a season. Holding those marks now at 43.8 and 41.6, respectively, is Tommy O’Connell in 1956.

Anderson was visibly upset when he was pulled in favor of Quinn with 3:14 left in the game.

“I’m not happy that I came out. I’m not happy how I played. I’m not happy that we lost,” Anderson said.

“I’m not happy about anything.”

But Anderson isn’t the only problem, not by a long shot. In addition to Anderson’s two interceptions, the Browns fumbled the ball away three times.

“There’s no magic formula for holding on to the football,” Mangini said. “You can’t go into Chicago and play a Lovie Smith team and turn it over five times and expect to win. You have no chance, no opportunity.”

The Browns, who had just 191 yards overall against the 4-3 Bears, went into the game at or near the bottom in the NFL in just about every offensive statistical category. They certainly did not enhance their standing in most of those areas with the way they played on Sunday.

And with 78 points scored, they are on track to score just 156 points, which would be a team record for a full season. The current mark is 161 in 2000, the second year of the expansion era.

The official mark is 140, but that came in the strike-shortened 1982 season, when just nine of scheduled 16 games were played.

In that aforementioned 1956 season in which O’Connell took over for the retired Otto Graham, the Browns scored 167 points. But that was in a 12-game schedule. With four more games than they played in 1956, the Browns could score 11 fewer points.

Following the 31-3 loss to the Green Bay Packers, the Browns, with the offense being directed by Brian Daboll, in his first job as a coordinator at any level, have been outscored 61-9 the last two games. In back-to-back games against the Denver Broncos and Ravens early in the year, the Browns were outscored 61-9.

Mangini said he will dissect the team from top to bottom.

“We’re going to look at everything – coaching, personnel, everything,” he said. “We’re going to look at everybody across the board – at every single position.”

And maybe the coach will be looked at by the owner as well.

“We’ve got a lot going on right now,” Lerner said to the small group of reporters.

How much, exactly, is yet to be determined, but rest assured, Browns fans, the owner now feels fully your pain – and anger, frustration and disappointment.
http://cle.scout.com/2/915221.html

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #13
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Wow it really looks like heads are going to roll this coming week. It's gonna be mighty interesting.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Holy ****. I didn't think Mangini was going to get fired this year. I thought he was gonna be given another year no matter what but its possible he might not coach another game.

Good on the Browns owner for not putting up with this ****tyness anymore.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Damn. This could get very interesting. Nice to see the owner as frustrated and angry as the fans are.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #16
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

McMANAMON: Browns' latest embarrassing loss brings barely answered questions

By Patrick McManamon
Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 08:18 p.m. EST, Nov 01, 2009

CHICAGO:The only certainty from the Browns' embarrassment against the Bears: Randy Lerner said no when asked whether he'd consider changing the coach in the bye week.

Aside from that fact, the Browns appear to be approaching an implosion.

Just listen to them after a 30-6 loss that was even more one-sided than the score.

''It's ridiculous,'' said quarterback Derek Anderson.

He was right. The Browns right now are ridiculous.

Include Anderson in the group. His quarterback rating after the first half: zero-point-zero. By game's end, it had risen — to 10.5. Yet coach Eric Mangini kept him in the game for almost 57 minutes.

During the game, Lerner stood in the tunnel and watched where just about everyone could see his reactions.

After, he tried to explain his team's state but really couldn't.

''I'm sick about it,'' he said. ''I saw the same thing you saw.''

Some pointed questions were directed at him, and he answered some, but in a couple of cases asked for a couple of days to clear his mind and reflect:

-- Would you consider a change in coaches during the bye week?

He looked up, pondered for some 10 or 15 seconds, then shook his head no.

-- Do you want to hire someone to run the football side of the operations?

Yes, he said, that is a priority. Someone who can explain the decisions and ask the right questions internally. Bernie Kosar's name did not come up, but he clearly is a possible choice.

-- What can fans hang their hats on for the remainder of the season?

Lerner said he ''feels like St. Anthony,'' the patron saint of lost items, then said he really didn't have ''a great answer for what to hang your hat on right now other than a massive amount of thought and analysis and reflection and personal honesty is going to go into thinking about what's going on.''

He admitted that's not a real answer, but he needed time rather than speaking in an emotional moment after a game.

-- Is what he's being told about the quarterback situation sensible to him, because from the outside, the way the quarterbacks have been used did not seem sensible? Lerner said he hadn't been told much, but admitted it did not seem sensible.

As he spoke, he looked as baffled as anyone who watched as Brady Quinn stayed stuck to the bench while Anderson was completing 6-of-17 passes, with two of his completions fumbled away to the Bears.

Quinn didn't even look for his helmet until Anderson was hit as he threw from the end zone. That throw turned into an interception, which turned into Chicago's last touchdown.

The point isn't that Quinn demands the playing time; it's that Anderson's play was nowhere for the second week in a row. His footwork was off, his arm-motion inconsistent. As a result, the offense was beyond poor.

Why not try something?

Like Lerner, Quinn was asked some pointed questions:

-- Did something happen to keep him on the bench?

''All I know is we've got to get better as a team,'' Quinn said.

-- Did he challenge the coach in any way, speak up in a meeting, get into an argument with him?

''No,'' he said. ''You don't need to fabricate things. The situation is what it's been. Everyone has to support one another.''

-- Do you wonder what it will take for you to get into a game?

''No,'' he said. ''I feel like our team needs to get better right now.''

Then there was Jamal Lewis, a pro's pro who did not argue for one second when it was suggested to him that this season must be like torture. Lewis then said this season probably will be his last.

-- Nobody could have expected a 1-7 start?

''Not the way we work,'' he said. ''The way we work in practice, the way we work in training camp, I wouldn't have expected it, either. You just have to put the pieces of the puzzle together and find out what are we really trying to do.

''I'm sure that is win, but it's how we're trying to win. How are we trying to win? What are we trying to do? I think that's what everybody is trying to figure out.''

--Does he have an understanding what the Browns are trying to do?

''No, I don't have an understanding,'' Lewis said. ''I just know we're trying to win. I know we want to win, but at the same time, a lot comes with winning. A lot comes with the formula, with your chemistry.''

Lewis admitted this was not good to say at the halfway point of the season, but added he was not calling out the coach.

''We're all men,'' he said. ''That's something that we have to figure out. We have to know where we're trying to go.

''It's not about the coach. It's about us as whole, period.''

Half a season remains for something to change, but hope is hard to find. Right now the Browns are embarrassing themselves at every turn, and in every city.
http://www.ohio.com/sports/68386717.html

Urban Meyer is lol.

Last edited by OSUFan_88; 11-02-2009 at 12:11 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »