Home

Cardinals @ Bears

This is a discussion on Cardinals @ Bears within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #89
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Cardinals @ Bears

It's like a broken record. A lot of people in this town thought the Bears just needed a QB and a RB and they'd be great. Only a few of us saw the lines crumbling but not the media and most fans.

The wrong thinking was a QB away from the playoffs since we got our RB with Forte. We're just paying the piper here, and will continue to. Anglelo never has believed much in drafting high for Oline. Now we have the QB, and he's got .8 seconds to throw. He's gonna be just fine here, but it'll be years before they can put a line together. The Bears like to pretend they are a physical team, but until they get some youth in the line, they're just a bunch of slow, tired old men. And it starts with Kreutz whom they never will let go but should've about 5 years ago.

I bitched about this since 2007, but it was easier for everyone to just point at Grossman and Benson and bitch about them. They couldn't even see that the lines were breaking down. Now it's too late.

I also see Tillman as someone who is old, tired, and has no "want to". That guy is the epitome of cashing a paycheck. Doesn't even look like he wants to be there.

The sun is setting on most of this group including the coaching staff whether we like it or not.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #90
Banned

OVR: 17

The whole "we need a QB right NOW..." thing was like 3 seasons ago. They're too late. They go get one now, when their defense is pretty much in rebuild mode, and their offensive line is done. They missed the point.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #91
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
It's like a broken record. A lot of people in this town thought the Bears just needed a QB and a RB and they'd be great. Only a few of us saw the lines crumbling but not the media and most fans.

The wrong thinking was a QB away from the playoffs since we got our RB with Forte. We're just paying the piper here, and will continue to. Anglelo never has believed much in drafting high for Oline. Now we have the QB, and he's got .8 seconds to throw. He's gonna be just fine here, but it'll be years before they can put a line together. The Bears like to pretend they are a physical team, but until they get some youth in the line, they're just a bunch of slow, tired old men. And it starts with Kreutz whom they never will let go but should've about 5 years ago.

I bitched about this since 2007, but it was easier for everyone to just point at Grossman and Benson and bitch about them. They couldn't even see that the lines were breaking down. Now it's too late.

I also see Tillman as someone who is old, tired, and has no "want to". That guy is the epitome of cashing a paycheck. Doesn't even look like he wants to be there.

The sun is setting on most of this group including the coaching staff whether we like it or not.
I was right there with you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #92
Banned

OVR: 31

Apologist? Okay. I am apologizing for not firing a coach when a team is .500

I have routinely pointed out the Bears problems (I have been adament about the Bears offensive line problems, Kruetz being overrated as well as Urlacher, Briggs and Hillenmeyer). But I don't think coaching is one of them. The Bears have an identity. Every week I know what they have to do to win. 50% of the NFL I cannot say the same thing for.

Enjoy the negativity. I will cease to apologize on here.....
Old 11-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #93
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

What is the Bears identity? Please tell me.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #94
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
What is the Bears identity? Please tell me.
Ball control offense with around 3-5 deep passes a game to stretch the defense with a possible big play. Offensively the idea is to keep the game close or get up early. Control the clock.

Defensively they play a soft zone. Dependent on front four to get to the quarterback. Defensive backs have to be physical. Linebackers have to be able to run sideline to sideline and get depth in zones. Gap run defense scheme. The defense will give up yards. It is dependent on turnovers/big plays to win games.

Solid special teams. One of the best punters in the league. One of the best kick return games in the league.
--------
The failure this year has been in the trenches. The Offensive Line is a joke. We tried to strike gold again with aging vets like we did with Tait and Ruben Brown. It didn't work. On defense two starting defensive tackles have been injured or not playing (Tommie and Dusty). Two starting linebackers have been out for the year(Urlacher and Pisa). One cornerback is MIA (Vasher) our safety situation has never been figured out without Mike Brown. Payne and Afalava are young and not all that talented.

So basically our defense is missing 5 starters that we thought would make an impact. Almost half the unit. Whether you want to accept that or not is fine. Injuries are never excuses for losses but the fact that we are 4-4 and not 2-6 tells me that despite the lack of talent (which everyone admits) we are still playing .500 football. Either Lovie Smith has more talent and they are underachieving or perhaps this team lacks talent and they are overacheiving.
--------
The loses against the Bengals and Cardinals do not come as a surprise. These teams were bad matchups with us. The front four defensively of those teams are great. They destroyed our O-Line. On offense they have good offensive lines and players who didn't make mistakes (the key always to beating the Bears defense).

The loses were huge and we surely looked like a subpar team. But to me this team is exactly where I thought they would be coming into the season. Lovie Smith is doing exactly what I thought he could do with this team (considering the injuries and loss time of the two most important defensive players). I really don't understand why everyone thinks the sky is falling. This is an aging team. We tried to plug in holes with aging vets for one last run. It didn't work. I would like to see if Lovie can get the oppurtunity to draft some young defensive players (or utilize Gaine Adams) and see if he can't retool the defense next year and in the future. I think he earned it.

What do you want? Fire Angelo, Lovie and bring in Mike Holmgren? Mike Shanahan?

I would rather stick with success than gamble on the unknown. The best teams in the NFL have an identity. I think the Bears have one. Maybe you don't. It just has to be hard to root for the Bears when you don't like anything about them....
Old 11-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #95
Pro

OVR: 7

lovie thinks the bears are a running team. clueless
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #96
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbz708
lovie thinks the bears are a running team. clueless
Yep. The same team that in our first drive in this game ran 8 pass plays and 0 run plays. He's an idiot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »