Home

If the Super Bowl was tomorrow what current QB would you have on your team?

This is a discussion on If the Super Bowl was tomorrow what current QB would you have on your team? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What QB would you pick for the Super Bowl?
Tom Brady 35 32.41%
Peyton Manning 46 42.59%
Eli Manning 0 0%
Ben Roethlisberger 11 10.19%
Other 16 14.81%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #73

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: If the Super Bowl was tomorrow what current QB would you have on your team?

Great points Revis.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #74
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
Wharton, you and I both know that you and I can go on forever. So I will say this, then agree to disagree with you concerning Brady and Peyton (of course you know that won't be all I say, so humor me). During the regular season when Peyton is setting records and accumulating stats he gets all of the credit for the colts success, why then when he continously fails in the playoffs is it not his fault? As a starter, Peyton is 7-8 in the playoffs, Brady is 14-3. Applying these stats to the original question, I don't see how any one can logically take Peyton over Brady.

Manning’s 4-game playoff run in his Super Bowl-winning season:
97 of 153 (63.4%) for 1,034 yards, 6.8 YPA, 3 TD, 7 INT, 70.5 passer rating

Are you kidding me?
Thought I just said why (it was a long post so I understand if some points got lost). Post season teams are great defensively 9 out of 10 times. If you have a good/great D too then the QB in question has more control of his destiny... that the situation Brady has been in just about every year. That's not the situation Peyton's been in, therefore he's had to try to do more against great defenses in almost every playoff game... and has put up some great games throughout btw. His overall numbers are similar to Brady's. In some cases it's bc Brady didn't have to do much and some cases the D has kept Brady in check, but his team still got wins bc the D was top notched. For the Colts, Peyton has HAD to put up stats for them to win and even then that wasn't enough in some cases. The one year the D gave him help they won the SB.

And of course we're going to end up disagreeing. It's all good.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #75
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
One thing to remember is during the Playoffs you're playing the best of the best. You can't compare regular season stats to the Playoffs. It's completely different. The regular season is 16 games every year, the Playoffs are just a sample size compared to hundreds of games that these players have played. Not only that, but when you enter the Playoffs, you're playing the best teams in the National Football League. In the regular season, you might play 4-5 teams that are Playoff quality teams. If you really wanna get down to the nitty gritty, try comparing the stats that Peyton/Brady(or any other QB if you wish)have for games where they faced a team in the Regular Season and also in the Playoffs. Not sure if I worded that right, for instance, last year Peyton played the Chargers twice. Try comparing his regular season game against the Chargers with his Post Season game against them. And same for Brady, see if he played the same team twice, once in the Regular season and once in the Playoffs, and compare the stats.

It's not fair to compare a 16 game season where you play terrible teams, decent teams, and then on occasion Playoff teams to a sample size of games in the Playoffs against the best of the best.
True. The playoffs are the best of the best, so when faced against the best, Brady wins and Peyton does not, that is the point. If I remember correctly, one year the pittsburgh steelers simply murdered the pats in the regular season, in the playoffs, the pats beat them in pittsburgh. The point is, both Brady and Peyton face the best in the playoffs, heck, every qb that makes the playoffs has that same problem. The key is more often than not, which qb overcomes the best defenses? Brady.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2009, 12:33 AM   #76
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

Quote:
True. The playoffs are the best of the best, so when faced against the best, Brady wins and Peyton does not, that is the point. If I remember correctly, one year the pittsburgh steelers simply murdered the pats in the regular season, in the playoffs, the pats beat them in pittsburgh. The point is, both Brady and Peyton face the best in the playoffs, heck, every qb that makes the playoffs has that same problem. The key is more often than not, which qb overcomes the best defenses? Brady.
That's quite a vague point. If you want to look at it as 'one wins, one doesn't' then fine by me. Personally though, I like to look at the details, the situations, the whole body of work. I'm a detail guy. For me, it's not as simple as just W/L's.

Regardless, you and I have both said we'd pick Brady and that's the main point of this discussion. I was just throwing my 2 cents in there with the debate between you and wwharton.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 11-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Thought I just said why (it was a long post so I understand if some points got lost). Post season teams are great defensively 9 out of 10 times. If you have a good/great D too then the QB in question has more control of his destiny... that the situation Brady has been in just about every year. That's not the situation Peyton's been in, therefore he's had to try to do more against great defenses in almost every playoff game... and has put up some great games throughout btw. His overall numbers are similar to Brady's. In some cases it's bc Brady didn't have to do much and some cases the D has kept Brady in check, but his team still got wins bc the D was top notched. For the Colts, Peyton has HAD to put up stats for them to win and even then that wasn't enough in some cases. The one year the D gave him help they won the SB.

And of course we're going to end up disagreeing. It's all good.
Wharton, what you are basically saying is that peyton pads his stats against bad teams in the regular season, then when he gets in the playoffs he just isn't that good, this is why to me, the regular season does not mean very much.

You also said that Brady wasn't asked to do much? He made the plays his team required him to make when he needed to make them, and get this, with less offensive talent, in big games. The year that the colts beat the pats to go to the sb, that pats team was horrible and overachieved, they were not the better team, yet they beat the favored chargers in san diego and had the colts on the ropes in indy, why, because Brady raises his level.

Brady has never had the luxury of top notch receivers during any of his sb victories, top receivers and a 1,000 yrd running back is what peyton has had (egderrin James) his whole career. Additionally, the year the colts won the sb was one of peyton's worst playoff runs and one of the worst any sb winning qb has ever had, they won in spite of peyton not because of him.

I am completely baffled when anyone would pick Peyton over Tom Brady, when it has been shown and proven through the years and their careers who is capable of what. It is not even close.

Peyton is a great passer, and I would say is a better more accurate passer than Brady, but quarter backing is more than passing, Brady in his totality is a winner, I would take the Boston Brawler everytime, everyday. Reasonable minds may differ. Wharton you are definitely a reasonable mind. I am sure we will revisit this topic as long as you and I are members of this illustrious website/forum. Always a pleasure my man. Fire away.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #78
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
That's quite a vague point. If you want to look at it as 'one wins, one doesn't' then fine by me. Personally though, I like to look at the details, the situations, the whole body of work. I'm a detail guy. For me, it's not as simple as just W/L's.

Regardless, you and I have both said we'd pick Brady and that's the main point of this discussion. I was just throwing my 2 cents in there with the debate between you and wwharton.
Not a problem Z. Like I said before, you are a very level headed guy. I mean no ill will, but I am a very spirited debater.Wharton and I go way back, especially with this topic. Again, I like Peyton, I just wouldn't take him over Brady. Peyton has some years to fill in his body of playoff work, so we will see where the comparisons between the two go, but heck, they are both great and both are going to the hall of fame.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #79
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

Quote:
Wharton, what you are basically saying is that peyton pads his stats against bad teams in the regular season, then when he gets in the playoffs he just isn't that good, this is why to me, the regular season does not mean very much.

You also said that Brady wasn't asked to do much? He made the plays his team required him to make when he needed to make them, and get this, with less offensive talent, in big games. The year that the colts beat the pats to go to the sb, that pats team was horrible and overachieved, they were not the better team, yet they beat the favored chargers in san diego and had the colts on the ropes in indy, why, because Brady raises his level.

Brady has never had the luxury of top notch receivers during any of his sb victories, top receivers and a 1,000 yrd running back is what peyton has had (egderrin James) his whole career. Additionally, the year the colts won the sb was one of peyton's worst playoff runs and one of the worst any sb winning qb has ever had, they won in spite of peyton not because of him.

I am completely baffled when anyone would pick Peyton over Tom Brady, when it has been shown and proven through the years and their careers who is capable of what. It is not even close.

Peyton is a great passer, and I would say is a better more accurate passer than Brady, but quarter backing is more than passing, Brady in his totality is a winner, I would take the Boston Brawler everytime, everyday. Reasonable minds may differ. Wharton you are definitely a reasonable mind. I am sure we will revisit this topic as long as you and I are members of this illustrious website/forum. Always a pleasure my man. Fire away.
In all due respect, I still don't think you're fully understanding him. You're throwing out numbers/points that he probably already knows and don't have much relevance to his main argument.

Quote:
Not a problem Z. Like I said before, you are a very level headed guy. I mean no ill will, but I am a very spirited debater.Wharton and I go way back, especially with this topic. Again, I like Peyton, I just wouldn't take him over Brady. Peyton has some years to fill in his body of playoff work, so we will see where the comparisons between the two go, but heck, they are both great and both are going to the hall of fame.
Oh I agree. IMO it's very hard to justify taking Peyton over Brady, even for a Colts fan like myself, when you look at the numbers. But as I said, numbers aren't everything, especially not for me. We both agree on taking Brady though. And yes it should be interesting where these two are by the end of their careers. I'd love for Peyton to get another ring. If he can get at least get 1 more(and play consistently well throughout the Playoffs en route to that SB), then I can probably justify taking him over a guy like Brady.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Last edited by z Revis; 11-13-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #80
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

I still can't stop laughing at the Romo pick.

God Bless the Cowboy homers. They do give us the comedy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »