Home

If the Super Bowl was tomorrow what current QB would you have on your team?

This is a discussion on If the Super Bowl was tomorrow what current QB would you have on your team? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What QB would you pick for the Super Bowl?
Tom Brady 35 32.41%
Peyton Manning 46 42.59%
Eli Manning 0 0%
Ben Roethlisberger 11 10.19%
Other 16 14.81%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: If the Super Bowl was tomorrow what current QB would you have on your team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
I don't think it's fair to say they won in spite of him. That might be stretching it. He was almost the sole reason we won that AFC Championship game, coming back down 21 to tie it and leading us on a game winning drive late into the 4th quarter to seal the win for us.
True, but it's hard to say the Colts didn't win in spite of him in the Wild Card... and even if we agreed that the Wild Card wouldn't be an in spite of game, it would be hard not to count the Divisional round game against the Ravens as an in spite of game. He was awful in that game, he looked like a Rookie out there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #66
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41

Peyton Manning is my pick, then Brady, then Big Ben

I have won like 20 Super Bowls in Madden so I am kinda a big deal.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
True, but it's hard to say the Colts didn't win in spite of him in the Wild Card... and even if we agreed that the Wild Card wouldn't be an in spite of game, it would be hard not to count the Divisional round game against the Ravens as an in spite of game. He was awful in that game, he looked like a Rookie out there.
He made some errant throws in that Wild Card game, I'll give you that. As far as the Divisional round, I don't know.. I don't remember much of that game except all of the FG's. But he was on the road playing the best defense in all of football. Either way, I think the entire argument of us winning in spite of him is not only hypothetical but it really doesn't make much sense. You're saying if we plugged in Jim Sorgi or whoever we still would've won? No way. Peyton does so many things for our team that go unnoticed and don't reflect in the stat sheet.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #68
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
Wharton, what's up my man. I know, you and I have been through this before. lol. But, as I have said before, you have to compare regular season stats against playoff performance stats to get an accurate picture of what true winning ability a qb has. Brady's playoff numbers are in line with Brady's skill set, whenever he needed to make a play he consistently did/does, there is no playoff dropoff. Peyton on the other had, comparing his regular season performances with his playoff performances there is drop off in every catagory. Why?

If this team is going 14-2, 13-3 and whatever other astoundingly good regular season records that have amassed during the years, why is it that in the playoffs that consistently lose when they are the favorite and in most cases the home team. Out of all of the regular season td passes that Peyton has thrown to Marvin Harrison through the years, how come they only have TWO in all of their playoff games? How can you not blame that on the qb?

Again, I can agree that Peyton is an alltime great, but if someone is asking what qb you would take for a Superbowl run? I don't see how anyone can logically debate this. It is Brady hands down.
Yeah but people keep coming back to it so here we are again, lol.

One small note on "how can you not blame that on the QB?"... how can you even say that? Are we assuming that Marvin didn't shut down int he playoffs? How can it be DEFINITELY one and DEFINITELY not the other... not to mention all the other players involved?

As for why is it so different in the playoffs, I posted their stats for every playoff game. Peyton had two games throwing for over 400 yards and one was for almost 500. Their overall playoff stats are similar. We both agree that stats don't tell the whole story but the point is the road hasn't been easy for either. So what's the difference? The rest of the team! Defense wins championships and the Colts D has been average at best for most of Peyton's career. When your D is top 5 everyone's job on the offense is easier because you don't have to take as many chances to stay in games, are put in better field position by more turnovers and don't have to make as many offensive adjustments as the game goes on. Nine times out of ten, you're playing against one of the best defenses in the league EVERY game... that's the difference between regular season and the post season.

The games Peyton lost in the playoffs were against SD twice, NE twice and PIT. We don't need to check the year to know these are great defenses and some of those he had good games. He had bad games that he won against BAL and CHI, both among the top 3 in the league during that time. He lost to MIA and NYJ his first two trips and those were good defenses. Brady's had some average games against good defenses too but his D was good enough to keep the games close and the gameplan in tact... something that can't be said for the Colts.

It's never on one player.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #69
All Star

OVR: 32

Drew Brees
Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

OVR: 38

Whoever is best at running for their life.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #71
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Yeah but people keep coming back to it so here we are again, lol.

One small note on "how can you not blame that on the QB?"... how can you even say that? Are we assuming that Marvin didn't shut down int he playoffs? How can it be DEFINITELY one and DEFINITELY not the other... not to mention all the other players involved?

As for why is it so different in the playoffs, I posted their stats for every playoff game. Peyton had two games throwing for over 400 yards and one was for almost 500. Their overall playoff stats are similar. We both agree that stats don't tell the whole story but the point is the road hasn't been easy for either. So what's the difference? The rest of the team! Defense wins championships and the Colts D has been average at best for most of Peyton's career. When your D is top 5 everyone's job on the offense is easier because you don't have to take as many chances to stay in games, are put in better field position by more turnovers and don't have to make as many offensive adjustments as the game goes on. Nine times out of ten, you're playing against one of the best defenses in the league EVERY game... that's the difference between regular season and the post season.

The games Peyton lost in the playoffs were against SD twice, NE twice and PIT. We don't need to check the year to know these are great defenses and some of those he had good games. He had bad games that he won against BAL and CHI, both among the top 3 in the league during that time. He lost to MIA and NYJ his first two trips and those were good defenses. Brady's had some average games against good defenses too but his D was good enough to keep the games close and the gameplan in tact... something that can't be said for the Colts.

It's never on one player.
Wharton, you and I both know that you and I can go on forever. So I will say this, then agree to disagree with you concerning Brady and Peyton (of course you know that won't be all I say, so humor me). During the regular season when Peyton is setting records and accumulating stats he gets all of the credit for the colts success, why then when he continously fails in the playoffs is it not his fault? As a starter, Peyton is 7-8 in the playoffs, Brady is 14-3. Applying these stats to the original question, I don't see how any one can logically take Peyton over Brady.

Manning’s 4-game playoff run in his Super Bowl-winning season:
97 of 153 (63.4%) for 1,034 yards, 6.8 YPA, 3 TD, 7 INT, 70.5 passer rating

Are you kidding me?

Last edited by NovaStar; 11-12-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #72
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
Wharton, you and I both know that you and I can go on forever. So I will say this, then agree to disagree with you concerning Brady and Peyton (of course you know that won't be all I say, so humor me). During the regular season when Peyton is setting records and accumulating stats he gets all of the credit for the colts success, why then when he continously fails in the playoffs is it not his fault? As a starter, Peyton is 7-8 in the playoffs, Brady is 14-3. Applying these stats to the original question, I don't see how any one can logically take Peyton over Brady.
One thing to remember is during the Playoffs you're playing the best of the best. You can't compare regular season stats to the Playoffs. It's completely different. The regular season is 16 games every year, the Playoffs are just a sample size compared to hundreds of games that these players have played. Not only that, but when you enter the Playoffs, you're playing the best teams in the National Football League. In the regular season, you might play 4-5 teams that are Playoff quality teams. If you really wanna get down to the nitty gritty, try comparing the stats that Peyton/Brady(or any other QB if you wish)have for games where they faced a team in the Regular Season and also in the Playoffs. Not sure if I worded that right, for instance, last year Peyton played the Chargers twice. Try comparing his regular season game against the Chargers with his Post Season game against them. And same for Brady, see if he played the same team twice, once in the Regular season and once in the Playoffs, and compare the stats.

It's not fair to compare a 16 game season where you play terrible teams, decent teams, and then on occasion Playoff teams to a sample size of games in the Playoffs against the best of the best.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »