Home

2009: the year they went to far

This is a discussion on 2009: the year they went to far within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you think the rule governing no hits below the knees for QB's should be repealed?
Yes, repeal it 34 79.07%
No, keep it. 9 20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: 2009: the year they went to far

I think things are fine as is WITHOUT the new rules put in place this year. If you go back to the way the QB was treated circa 2003 I think we wouldn't be happening these kind of discussions. The thing is, these rules almost certainly would never happen if star QBs hadn't gone down. I remember when Carson Palmer was injured in the playoff game against the Steelers and they put in the rule about hitting below the knees. They never really enforced it that much but once Brady went down (on a far less serious way mind you) the rule gets more teeth put in and now we're seeing all kinds of hits to the QBs being called roughing the passer.

The NFL needs to realize that QBs are players too. I'm not saying let's go back to the way QBs were treated in the '70s and up to the mid '80s. Heck, in 1986 about half the QBs in the league were hit with serious injuries! I just think there needs to be a standard applied and not just a "star QB" standard because i've seen guys that aren't stars getting killed out here but there's no penalty called.

I also think that there should be some kind of umbrella football officials organization, one that takes all college and NFL officials which would employ, train and send them out on assignments. This would actually do away with the hipocrisy of college officials because they would no longer be hired by the various conferences but rather contracted out to the various conferences. ALL the refs would be held to a standard and be evaluated. There would be a promotion/demotion process NFL-(biggest college conference)-(2nd biggest conference) so on so forth with the ultimate goal being the NFL. We would then see some older guys with experience calling NFL games but have some younger guys peppered in.

I know it's a pipe dream but I think something like that could work. As for who would be the evaluator and such of the referees i'd hire a guy like Jerry Markbriet (sp) to do it.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

They certainly went too far. It was fine before the new rule. They're all football players, let them play like it. It's ridiculous when good defensive plays get called back.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
They need to just make QBs two hand touch and not let them run.

If they're going to make these calls, that's necessary.
2 hand touch,lol.It practicaly is already.I really dislike the no hitting helmet.That's the way players are trained to hit as long as they don't lead with the crown.That lends to the wusification of pro football.Now you see why so many "tackles" are broken,lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

The worse move they ever made was to change the rule allowing for the forward pass. How stupid was that? Football use to be a tough game of run it up the middle every single play. I would so much rather watch that than all this wimpy passing business.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
The worse move they ever made was to change the rule allowing for the forward pass. How stupid was that? Football use to be a tough game of run it up the middle every single play. I would so much rather watch that than all this wimpy passing business.
Move to Australia then

You'd love rugby

(I know you're being sarcastic)

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #14
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Honestly I don't care. I'd rather not watch 2nd string QBs out there all the time (which unfortunately I have to since I watch the Bills) so anything to protect any player's safety I'm for.

You can rant all you want about some kind of neanderthal game that destroys people's bodies but at the end of the day these are humans out there playing a game. Helmet to helmet hits should always be discouraged. The below the knees thing is a little soft, sure, but anything to penalize Vince Wilfork :P

I read an interesting thing the other day... make football players play without helmets. Think they'd be leading with their head still?

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
Honestly I don't care. I'd rather not watch 2nd string QBs out there all the time (which unfortunately I have to since I watch the Bills) so anything to protect any player's safety I'm for.

You can rant all you want about some kind of neanderthal game that destroys people's bodies but at the end of the day these are humans out there playing a game. Helmet to helmet hits should always be discouraged. The below the knees thing is a little soft, sure, but anything to penalize Vince Wilfork :P

I read an interesting thing the other day... make football players play without helmets. Think they'd be leading with their head still?
Unfortunately I do think they would still lead with there head. A text book tackle involves putting your head in front of the body of the ball carrier. If you go low, the posibility of getting a knee to the head is very real. While I agree with the theory that helmets and bigger pads have led to more violant collisions, I don't think taking the helmet away would decrease head injuries.

I agree with you that protecting the qb's from the free head shots they were taking a few years back is a necessary move.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #16
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Move to Australia then

You'd love rugby

(I know you're being sarcastic)
Not a bad idea....Mate.

I guess I am a wimp with this stuff, but I like the rules. There have been some bad calls....like the Suggs/Brady play. And I recall a few flags where a hand has lightly glanced off a QB's helmet. But I put those more on the refs than the rules.

QB's & Kickers need special rules because they are exposed unlike other players. They aren't able to defend themselves like most of the players in the "tougher" roles. I also like the horse collar rule, the rule against cut blocking a defender who is engaged, and facemask penalties.

And like Muggins said, I can't say I would be all that excited to watch a post season with a bunch of 2nd & 3rd string QB's.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »