Home

It's probably too early to talk about unbeaten regular seasons...

This is a discussion on It's probably too early to talk about unbeaten regular seasons... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #33
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: It's probably too early to talk about unbeaten regular seasons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
Certainly would be. But I think he's going to do it. I've said all along that I don't care what they say, don't care if they say they're going to rest starters, once we get 3-4 games away from perfection, he'll give in and play his starters. But here we are at 13-0 and they're still talking about resting starters.. even said it in the post game today. I'll be pissed if he does, but at the same time, I'll be pissed if a key player goes down to injury right before the Playoffs. I still say go for it, though.

Personally, I say rest the guys that need the rest. Keep Peyton in the game though. We can play 21 backups, but as long as the 1 starter is Peyton we can still beat the Jags, Jets, and Bills.
I'm starting to wonder when the Colts will try playing a good portion of their starters all the way through the season. We've seen the last few years (the Giants Super Bowl year, especially) that having a ton of momentum going in to the postseason is a big factor. The Colts seem to be the team that always rests it's starters, and then a streaking Chargers team comes in to RCA and later Lucas Oil and beats them. For the run of excellence this team has had, it should have multiple titles. I just wonder if they're ever going to try something different going into the playoffs, because resting starters hasn't worked for them recently.

(I don't remember if they rested starters in their Super Bowl year, so if they did, the strategy worked once.)
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 AM   #34
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Certainly would be. But I think he's going to do it. I've said all along that I don't care what they say, don't care if they say they're going to rest starters, once we get 3-4 games away from perfection, he'll give in and play his starters. But here we are at 13-0 and they're still talking about resting starters.. even said it in the post game today. I'll be pissed if he does, but at the same time, I'll be pissed if a key player goes down to injury right before the Playoffs. I still say go for it, though.
I'd like for both of these teams to run the table just so Mercury Morris and other people can STFU about the '72 Dolphins.

I have little doubt the Saints and Colts would beat the '72 Dolphins by 6 TDs.

Quote:
Personally, I say rest the guys that need the rest. Keep Peyton in the game though. We can play 21 backups, but as long as the 1 starter is Peyton we can still beat the Jags, Jets, and Bills.
Agreed.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:13 AM   #35
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
I'm starting to wonder when the Colts will try playing a good portion of their starters all the way through the season. We've seen the last few years (the Giants Super Bowl year, especially) that having a ton of momentum going in to the postseason is a big factor. The Colts seem to be the team that always rests it's starters, and then a streaking Chargers team comes in to RCA and later Lucas Oil and beats them. For the run of excellence this team has had, it should have multiple titles. I just wonder if they're ever going to try something different going into the playoffs, because resting starters hasn't worked for them recently.

(I don't remember if they rested starters in their Super Bowl year, so if they did, the strategy worked once.)
They don't believe in momentum or rust or anything of that nature. For whatever reason, they don't. They believe in giving guys rest, having them fresh for the Playoffs. Bill Polian has said multiple times that momentum is overrated, there's no such thing. He doesn't believe in it. He doesn't believe in rust either. He says it's ridiculous to think that. He thinks rust happens when players don't play for a long period of time, not even practicing(such as Vick when he was in prison, or Brady when he was out all of last year). He says these players still practice each week and they still go out and play for the first quarter of the game, there is no rust. He also said that he's talked to players before that have said once the Playoffs arrive, they're sort of out of gas(this goes back to keeping players fresh argument).

That's why they've rested their players and continue to do so. Personally, I don't buy it. I really shouldn't question Polian, or Dungy, they're both outstanding at what they do, but come on. I've seen this movie too many times. We rest players, go into the Playoffs and come out completely out of rhythm and not ourselves.. end up losing the game to an inferior team such as the Chargers/Steelers.

And no, during our Super Bowl run, we didn't rest players. We actually couldn't. We had to play all 16 games to clinch our seeding.

Like I said, I'll be pissed if we rest players. We're midway through December with 3 games left and we have a first round bye in the Playoffs. If we sit our players the rest of the year, we're going to have almost a full month of rest before we play our 1st Playoff game which would be in the Divisional round. Almost a full month. Yeah, we'll be fresh, but we'll also be playing without any or limited in-game action in 4 weeks.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Last edited by z Revis; 12-14-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2009, 01:44 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 55

The New Orleans Saints are the greatest team to ever step onto the gridiron and will easily finish the season with a perfect 16-0 record and then go on to win the Super Bowl. WHO DAT!? WHO DAT!?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislimb
The New Orleans Saints are the greatest team to ever step onto the gridiron and will easily finish the season with a perfect 16-0 record and then go on to win the Super Bowl. WHO DAT!? WHO DAT!?
Greatest team ever, yet they have no rings. I love people who have just started watching football the last 2 years or so, their opinions are so valid.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 34

I think the league as a whole is down right now, and that neither the Colts or the Saints are what I'd call "special" teams.

It wouldnt surprise me if any one of a half dozen teams, win the superbowl..and I wpouldnt be shocked in the least, if neither the Colts or the Saints fail to get there.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #39
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:

Was going to ask where you stood on this but just read your reply. I started thinking about it more in that looooong Brady v Peyton thread. It seems like something else has to be contributing to the Colts playoff woes... and then you think how they run through the regular season year after year, end up resting players for one or two games at the end, and end up losing to a team firing on all cylinders at the end of the regular season and carry it into the playoffs. They really need to let the guys play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses

I agree. They were the wild card the year they won the SB... go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislimb
Dislimb, stop trolling.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4741550

That's what I was hoping for. Seems like the best way to go about it.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »