Home

Tom Brady questions his team's toughness...

This is a discussion on Tom Brady questions his team's toughness... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
Retar Crew

Antec's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Tom Brady questions his team's toughness...

Homerism aside, the fannation on SI.com has pretty stupid topics with titles designed to catch your eye. He said the team needs to play 60 minutes of good football and needs to be mentally tougher to overcome adversity. Well yeah they haven't won a true road game this season and have blown halftime leads in 4 of them.

They also have some crazy topics like Iverson went back to the 76ers because Comcast forced management's hand, and Lebron, Bosh, and Wade will be on the same team next year.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Can someone show me where in that (rather crappy) article Brady passes the blame off to people?

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...ke-weve-played

Much better link with much more information from Brady's interview on WEEI this morning.

He blamed himself just as much, if not more, than anyone. He never states "the guys" or "the rest of the team"...he always uses "we"...etc.

I can see people hating on Brady for trying to get flags, but this is reaching new levels.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Attitude is a reflection of leadership. If the team lacks toughness, then Tom Brady crying when someone touches his shoelaces no doubt sets the standard.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
Attitude is a reflection of leadership. If the team lacks toughness, then Tom Brady crying when someone touches his shoelaces no doubt sets the standard.
And you really think Brady, when he talks about the team not being able to play consistently, or when he talks about the offense needing to close out games and be more tough mentally...you don't think he's including himself in that group?

He knows he's played relatively poorly and has struggled inside the red zone and when he talks about the team, he's talking about himself.

And as you said, attitude reflects leadership. With these comments, Brady is letting the team that he leads know that they need to play better, and that includes himself. If the team responds well next week, Brady will be the guy who sparked that by questioning whether or not this team was tough enough to win a big game.

I guess I don't see how this makes him a douche bag. And yes, I'd say this if it were Brees, Manning, Palmer, McNabb, etc. If you're the leader of a team that is struggling and you're asked about those problems, you damn well better put the challenge out there for you and your team to live up to instead of sugar coating it.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn
And you really think Brady, when he talks about the team not being able to play consistently, or when he talks about the offense needing to close out games and be more tough mentally...you don't think he's including himself in that group?

He knows he's played relatively poorly and has struggled inside the red zone and when he talks about the team, he's talking about himself.

And as you said, attitude reflects leadership. With these comments, Brady is letting the team that he leads know that they need to play better, and that includes himself. If the team responds well next week, Brady will be the guy who sparked that by questioning whether or not this team was tough enough to win a big game.

I guess I don't see how this makes him a douche bag. And yes, I'd say this if it were Brees, Manning, Palmer, McNabb, etc. If you're the leader of a team that is struggling and you're asked about those problems, you damn well better put the challenge out there for you and your team to live up to instead of sugar coating it.
This. I agree. I don't see a problem with Brady's comments.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 12-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn

You can't complain about lack of toughness. You have to act out toughness. Don't say it. Do it. Show it on the field. If he wants to point the finger @ himself, then quit w/ the "we" & start w/the "I". When his teammates see him taking ownership upon himself, then he can start critiquing the team.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 12-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
You can't complain about lack of toughness. You have to act out toughness. Don't say it. Do it. Show it on the field. If he wants to point the finger @ himself, then quit w/ the "we" & start w/the "I". When his teammates see him taking ownership upon himself, then he can start critiquing the team.
I have no proof to back up the claim I am going to make other than following this Patriots team, and Brady since he arrived, closely...but talking about "I" in the media is not a Patriots kinda thing to do. Bill has them all brainwashed and you'll very rarely (I won't say 'never' because I may have forgotten instances) see anyone in the organization say anything negative about themselves or about a player on the team. If the comments are "bad"...it is always 'we' or 'the team' or 'the offense/defense'...never "I," never "Brady," etc.

Even when the media was asking Belichick about Brady early in the season he would always deflect with comments about the offense as a whole executing, etc.

And as for acting it out...none of us get inside the locker room, or watch practice, or see how the team acts during meetings. I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that Brady is a very vocal leader to his team throughout the week. Now translating that preparation and attitude during practice towards the games on Sunday is a different story, but that's not all on Brady. He shows his emotion more than anyone (other than maybe Welker) on the Patriots. When Brady's upset on Sunday, the whole world knows about it because he doesn't hide anything and he does show leadership when he needs to on the sideline. Sometimes the team doesn't respond to that. Belichick needs to right the ship, and if Brady questioning the team's ability to be consistent on Sunday works...I'm all for it.

I guess my main question for you, JD, is how does this specific thing prove Brady's "doucheability"?

And also, hope I'm not coming across as defensive or homerish. I'm actually just enjoying having a level-headed back-and-forth for once. I usually stay away from these kind of threads because "defending" the Patriots, even in a non-aggressive manner, usually just leads down an annoying and pointless path.

Last edited by Beantown; 12-07-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

If Belichick doesn't want any "I"'s, I guarantee you he wouldn't want any public criticism of the team from any player.

You can't say the team doesn't dig down deep when adversity hits, & then whine for a cheap 15 yds when a falling defender grazes your ankle.

If he said "I haven't set a good example for our new players in finding a way to make a play in the clutch. Its up to me & the veterans who have been here & been to the top to set the example", I'd be behind him. Or in the least, wouldn't criticize him. To me, he's trying to deflect, not absorb, the responsibility. A bunch of meaningless cliches that makes it seem like he's administering tough love.

If he wants to be a leader, to show he's a leader, then get up there & take the blame now when they are losing. Especially when he's always willing to smile for the camera when he's being compared to Unitas & Montana. That will get respect in the locker room. That will get the locker room to man up.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »