Home

Worst GM of all time

This is a discussion on Worst GM of all time within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #33
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Worst GM of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Bottom line: there never has been, nor will there ever be, a human being as completely inept and incapable of performing their job as Matt Millen was at being a General Manager of a football team.

This. Millen is hands down the biggest idiot GM in the history of any sport. Ford Sr. is a gigantic fool as well.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 14

My vote goes to the GM of the Vikings that sold his entire draft that year for Herschel Walker. What a moron.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #35
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatisback
My vote goes to the GM of the Vikings that sold his entire draft that year for Herschel Walker. What a moron.
To be fair, Minnesota only had one losing record in the 1990s; on the basis of that trade alone, Minnesota did okay, certainly far better than Millen, Mike Brown, or any of the new Browns GMs.

Now, if you want to criticize whoever pulled the trigger on that trade for essentially giving three Super Bowls to the Cowboys, go right ahead.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #36
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Matt Millen

Great announcer though...I hope no one holds his GM abilities against him when juding him as a colour analyst because I think he's done a terrific job.
Agreed, when I first heard him on TV I was was like wow its Mike Millen this is going to be bad. But he is one of the better analysts out there.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:27 AM   #37
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
It was a gamble to be sure but it wasn't a bad move from a tactical standpoint. There's a lot of reasons why that trade didn't exactly pan out for Minnesota. They felt they were a superstar RB away from getting to the SB and in a lot of ways that was a good assessment as the Vikings had a very good defense and a solid though not spectacular offense.

The problem was that management and Jerry Burns and his coaching staff were on completely different pages. Management didn't really go to Burns & Co. about the trade and just pulled the trigger. The thing was that Burns was very stuck in his ways with an offense of rotating RBs and FBs sharing the load. It wasn't a very fancy running game but it was effective. They never utilized Walker the way they should've as he was used in a very plain running game and kept having to share the duties rather then being the premier back who gets stronger as the game goes on. He hardly ever got in the passing game either even though he was a terrific receiver out of the backfield.

You add that kind of misuse/culture change for Walker and the fact that the defense got old in a hurry at around that time and voila! Instantly bad trade in the long run.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #38
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
Which is why it's Dwight Clark.

I said that in the beginning of the thread...he is the easiest worst GM of all time.
My bad. I feel for you guys. Having suffered through some 5-11 seasons with the Cowboys I can't imagine y'alls frustration.

Quote:
The Cowboys should put that GM's name up in the Ring of Honor.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #39
MVP

OVR: 27

The Cowboys made out like a bandit with the Herschel Walker deal. But it has to be understood that at the time Herschel Walker was considered one of the best football players on the planet, and he was. He was also coming off a 2,000+ yards-from-scrimmage season, with 1,514 of it being rushing. So he was a beast pick.

It's just that the Cowboys made off so well with the deal that it overshadowed everything. Unfortunately for Herschel, when he finally made it back to Dallas the dynasty was over. But the man gained nearly 20,000 yards of total offense in the NFL, if you add in USFL numbers you're probably approaching 25,000. He'll likely never make the hall, but he is statistically among the top all-around backs ever.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #40
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Eric Dickerson was traded for a slew of draft picks and most of those draft picks didn't pan out so well. The Herschel Walker trade looked really bad because JJ hit on so many draft picks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »