Home

Sometimes The NFL Just Needs To Relax

This is a discussion on Sometimes The NFL Just Needs To Relax within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: Sometimes The NFL Just Needs To Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
^ Lol, if you don't get it by now I'm not going to keep re-explaining it.
I get that you believe that arbitrary rules are necessary, but what is the point of the rule in the first place?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #34
EA Game Changer

OVR: 28

Quick question..When Chad wanted to do this, was he:
1) Going to wear the number 15 and have his last name on the jersey
or
2) Going to wear the number 15 with Henry's last name
Old 12-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #35
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I think in this case the NFL has the right to levy a fine. You can memorialize Henry in a lot of other ways that don't make it seem so over the top.

I have more problems when the NFL gets super anal like when Johnny Unitas died and Peyton Manning wanted to wear black high tops like Unitas did but the league vetoed that.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #36
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I think in this case the NFL has the right to levy a fine. You can memorialize Henry in a lot of other ways that don't make it seem so over the top.

I have more problems when the NFL gets super anal like when Johnny Unitas died and Peyton Manning wanted to wear black high tops like Unitas did but the league vetoed that.
I honestly don't have a problem with any of it. These guys make more in a week than most of us will make all year (or in a decade for many). If the tribute means that much then just pay the fine and keep it moving. If the money does, in fact, go to charity, they can just look at it as a way of showing they are donating to charity in honor of the player.

I thought the Skins starting the game with 10 men on the field in honor of Sean Taylor was a nice tribute. Not sure if 10 men on the field was a flag or not but if it is, then they got one. If they had a td run or pass on them, the points would've still counted. The individual makes the decision to honor how they want and takes on everything that comes along with that.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #37
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I thought the Skins starting the game with 10 men on the field in honor of Sean Taylor was a nice tribute. Not sure if 10 men on the field was a flag or not but if it is, then they got one. If they had a td run or pass on them, the points would've still counted. The individual makes the decision to honor how they want and takes on everything that comes along with that.
Yeah that was against Buffalo so I saw that game. There was no penalty and Dick Jauron made a deal with Gibbs that the Bills would just do a run play so as not to overly take advantage of that situation.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #38
MVP

sb24's Arena

I know this poot is moot as the game has passed, but im glad he didnt wear it. Not for any reason of the NFL or rules or anything, but out of respect for Henry. Being the huge Sean Taylor fan i am, when i heard portis wanted to wear his jersey, i wasnt happy. There is something about seeing his jersey on the field knowing its not him. If i ever see a Redskin player with #21 i will never support the redskins again.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #39
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
I know this poot is moot as the game has passed, but im glad he didnt wear it. Not for any reason of the NFL or rules or anything, but out of respect for Henry. Being the huge Sean Taylor fan i am, when i heard portis wanted to wear his jersey, i wasnt happy. There is something about seeing his jersey on the field knowing its not him. If i ever see a Redskin player with #21 i will never support the redskins again.
That's a bit extreme don't you think? I'm calling bs on you never supporting them again over something like that. What happened to Sean was tragic and I feel for his family and anyone who knew and loved him, but it's not like he was a hall of fame player or anything who deserved to have his jersey number retired. Eventually someone is going to have to wear number 21 in Washington again and to not support your team because someone is wearing the number of a guy who doesn't really have any real legacy to the team outside of his senseless death seems kind of ridiculous.

I still don't see why this situation (though it didn't happen) is so hard to understand why the NFL not being anal about it can and should be different. Chris Henry is a member of the NFL family, not even a retired member, but was an active member of the family. Jimmy (to stay with my previous example) is some guy that Chad played high school ball with that never set foot in the NFL or possibly even college ball for that matter. Going against rules for him is not something that the NFL should be obligated to turn a blind eye to. A Pat Tillman or a Chris Henry or Sean Taylor on the other hand, if an NFL player, particularly a teammate of said players wants to honor that player by wearing special shoes or something other than a sticker on their helmet because they were closer to that person than a tiny sticker on the back of their helmet suggests is not only different than the other situations, but it's something the NFL should feel obligated not to fine anyone over since they are losing these guys along with their teammates and fellow players.

I mean, I can kind of see the other side of the argument but the question answers itself. Why is Chris Henry more important than someone else a player wants to honor? Cause he's an NFL player. Personally the NFL has ******** uniform rules anyway. Remember the whole situation with Reggie Bush's gold shoes? This would be a good reason to look at reworking their accessories rules anyway.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #40
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec
I find it funny that Renegade44 with the title "No Respect" is preaching following the rules. No offense, just enjoy the irony.

LOL, yeah now that you mention it it is Ironic. Oh how times have changed since I signed up here lol......

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »