Home

PFT: Childress tried to bench Favre in 3rd Qtr tonight

This is a discussion on PFT: Childress tried to bench Favre in 3rd Qtr tonight within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: PFT: Childress tried to bench Favre in 3rd Qtr tonight

lol yeah this is no big issue. Even manning and his old coach got into a some heated discussion even on the field. If I was a player and I saw this happening I would probably follow my QB even more. He wants to be out there with the team. I see nothing wrong with this. Even if Brett was still a Packer I would feel the same way. If people think Brett is a cancer oh well. All I do know is the Vikings are 11-3 and that is better than I thought they would be and Brett does have a pretty big claim to that record.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOctober430
He was trying to do the right thing. They need Favre healthy for the playoffs.
I agree there Brett should have listen to him, but that is Brett. He saw his team out there fighting so he wanted to be apart of that. That too me shows more leadership, but I guess I am the only one who sees it that way.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 14

Whatever happened Childress was danged if he did or danged if he didnt.

Your up 7-6 and you pull Favre out. Jackson comes in and they lose the game.

Okay, why the hell did you take Favre out would be asked today.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I agree there Brett should have listen to him, but that is Brett. He saw his team out there fighting so he wanted to be apart of that. That too me shows more leadership, but I guess I am the only one who sees it that way.
That's one way to look at it. But another way to look at it is that a true leader would never disrespect his superiors by fighting their orders.

I know some old school coaches that might've taken a swing at Favre... Lombardi, Parcells, Don Matthews (If you follow Canadian Football), Buddy Ryan... it might've been ugly, and those guys would probably bench Favre next game and wouldn't think twice about it. Heck, Lombardi might've made him run Punt Returns the next game, lol.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
That's one way to look at it. But another way to look at it is that a true leader would never disrespect his superiors by fighting their orders.

I know some old school coaches that might've taken a swing at Favre... Lombardi, Parcells, Don Matthews (If you follow Canadian Football), Buddy Ryan... it might've been ugly, and those guys would probably bench Favre next game and wouldn't think twice about it. Heck, Lombardi might've made him run Punt Returns the next game, lol.
Who knows. It was just a thought. I know if I am out there getting beat up and then watch my QB get pulled, I think I would have more respect for him if he told the coach he was not leaving the game. But we just see it different.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 17

Hmm...Childress actually tried twice this season to bench Favre prior to Sunday in Carolina, one against Detroit and once against Green Bay.

Quote:
Per separate reports from ESPN and the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Childress previously tried to pull Favre on two other occasions.

Per ESPN, the first one came on October 5 against the Packers, after Favre audibled to a long pass late in a game that the Vikings led by 10 points with 3:27 to play. We criticized the decision at the time, though it wasn't clear whether Childress called the deep pass at a time when the Vikes could have milked the clock, or whether Favre had changed the play at the line in order to further "stick it" to Green Bay G.M. Ted Thompson.

Chilldress reportedly was furious, but offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell persuaded Chilly to chill out.

When Favre learned of the near-benching, he confronted Childress, who blamed it on the emotion of the game.

Then, on November 15, Childress tried to do it again early in a 27-10 win over the Lions.

On the prior two occasions, Favre didn't say anything about it to he media. This time, however, he popped off -- and that apparently caused Chilly to blow a gasket, according to Tom Powers of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. Powers believes that he was in the vicinity of the visiting coach's office last night when Childress learned about Favre's comments -- and that Childress emerged from the office "like a wild man" and "went ballistic."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...h-favre-twice/

Here's an excerpt from the ESPN piece about the Green bay game:

Quote:
Sources tell ESPN that on Oct. 5, during a Monday night game against the Green Bay Packers that drew national attention for Favre's first game against his former team, Childress tried to pull Favre when he was unhappy about a decision the quarterback had made.

The Vikings had a 30-20 lead and were running their four-minute offense. The Packers were out of timeouts, and the Vikings called a run play on third and 10 with 3:27 left. Favre changed the play at the line of scrimmage and took a shot downfield that fell incomplete, stopping the clock.

Childress was furious and told offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell that he was taking Favre out of the game, sources told ESPN. Bevell talked Childress out of it, but news got back to Favre that Childress was going to pull him.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4761127

Getting pretty interesting. And I love how Trent Dilfer tries to argue that Favre shouldn't have to do what his coach tells him. Dilfer is taking over for Madden these days as the King Nut Slobberer for Favre.

Last edited by metallicatz; 12-21-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #47
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Everyone knows who is running the Vikings. It's like the Who song, Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss.

From day 1, Favre has been the head coach. The former head coach picks up Favre at the airport in a SUV and allowed him to skip training camp.

Welcome to the soap opera/drama that Favre brings with him. To dismiss this as nothing is really sweeping it under the carpet.

On the field of play, the head coach is the boss.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #48
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Here is another interesting story and peak into the Vikings locker room after the game Sunday.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14043094?source=rss

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »