Home

Mike Shanahan will be a bust

This is a discussion on Mike Shanahan will be a bust within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
Mike Shanahan will be a bust

John Elway retired 11 years ago. Since then, Mike Shanahan:
  • Missed the playoffs in 6 of his 10 seasons
  • Won the AFC West only 1 time in 10 seasons
  • Kicked out of the first round in 3 times
  • Playoff record: 1-4
  • 24-24 regular season record in his final 3 seasons
  • He has an awful record with free agency
  • He has an equally bad record with the NFL draft
Comparing Wade Phillips to Mike Shanahan... these two guys have very similar records over the past 10 years. Wade Phillips coached at Buffalo, Atlanta, and Dallas. Shanahan at Denver:
  • Regular Season Win Percentage: Wade (64%) vs Shanahan (57%)
  • Playoff Record: Wade (0-3) vs Shanahan (1-4)
  • Division Titles: Wade (1) vs Shanahan (1)
  • Specialty: Wade (Defensive Genius) vs Shanahan (Offensive Genius)
Wade Phillips is probably going to get fired by next month. Mike Shanahan was fired earlier this year. So why is Mike Shanahan such a hot coaching candidate now?

I'm sure that Washington, Dallas, or whoever signs Shanahan will very quickly regret it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 AM   #2

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Mike Shanahan will be a bust

The only way I see Wade getting fired is if he gets beat in the first round of the playoffs or misses the playoffs again this season. IMO I think the Dallas Cowboys will be 2-2 in december losing to the Giants and winning aganist the Skins when Its all said and done. They beat the undefeated Saints so I'm guessing they'll make it but, they got 2 tough division games left. This will really tell how/if Romo has really matured as QB and starting with the Saints was a great job.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Portis, Clady, DJ Williams, Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 12-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

i don't think Shanahan teams play ANY defense. I mean Holmgren's didn't really...but Shanahan's played even less. That's my knock on him. He's a GREAT offensive talent evaluator and better than Zorn.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchingcoach36
i don't think Shanahan teams play ANY defense. I mean Holmgren's didn't really...but Shanahan's played even less. That's my knock on him. He's a GREAT offensive talent evaluator and better than Zorn.
2003, 2004, 2005 says hello. I'm sure theres more to add to that list...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

The problem with Shanahan is that he had a major say in personnel after Elway left. If you drastically cut down on his personnel responsibilities I think he'd be a great coach for any team. Actually I think he'd be a great fit for Dallas what with the number of RBs they have there. Either way, whoever hires Shanahan has to have a strong personnel guy in place to keep him from mucking around too much or it'll be a situation much like Denver where the offense is pretty good but the defense is a patchwork at best.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchingcoach36

Denver had some good defenses in '96 and '97 as well. Holmgren had a great D in '96. With the talent there, it would be hard not to have a great d.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
If you drastically cut down on his personnel responsibilities I think he'd be a great coach for any team. Actually I think he'd be a great fit for Dallas

Mike Shanahan would be a complete disaster in Dallas. Imagine Jerry Jones having the bulk of personnel responsibilities? The only reason the Cowboys have been winning games in recent years is because they've been reaping the benefits of Bill Parcells' draftees.

Shanahan will also be ill-equipped to keep the Cowboys defense functioning as well as it has. Wade has done a remarkable job supervising the Cowboys defense, and replacing him would be no easy task.

Bill Cowher, I think, is the only exciting coaching candidate available at the moment. He seems to be the perfect fit for the 3-4 personnel of Cowboys defense. And his brand of coaching may just give the Cowboys the mental toughness they've lacked. I'm surprised the Redskins, Seahawks, and Browns haven't made a big push for him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »