Home

Chris Johnson should win MVP

This is a discussion on Chris Johnson should win MVP within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #57
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Chris Johnson should win MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
While I agree with you Whar. You can't really ignore that when VY became the starter the Titans started winning. But with out Chris I doubt VY would be bringing wins by himself. CJ is a beast and should be given some votes. But it should go to Brees or Manning.
I didn't ignore it. I point out that everyone else is ignoring the other 3 or more starters that came back the same game VY started, at least 2(?) of them pro bowlers. This team went 13-3 last year with VY on the bench and one of the top 3 defenses in the league. It'd be more foolish to ignore the effect of 1/3 of that defense being out (if it is indeed 3 players plus big Al), especially when CJ was beasting with Collins at QB.

VY helps CJ bc defenses have to account for him running, so yes, he helps CJ but to use Cebby's Spurs analogy, Parker helps Duncan but that doesn't mean he's more valuable. That's just silly. Here's another example for you. The 2000 Ravens didn't look like they'd sniff the playoffs and then Dilfer became the starter. After that they went on to win the SB. Does that make Dilfer the team's MVP? Hell no.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #58
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I didn't ignore it. I point out that everyone else is ignoring the other 3 or more starters that came back the same game VY started, at least 2(?) of them pro bowlers. This team went 13-3 last year with VY on the bench and one of the top 3 defenses in the league. It'd be more foolish to ignore the effect of 1/3 of that defense being out (if it is indeed 3 players plus big Al), especially when CJ was beasting with Collins at QB.

VY helps CJ bc defenses have to account for him running, so yes, he helps CJ but to use Cebby's Spurs analogy, Parker helps Duncan but that doesn't mean he's more valuable. That's just silly. Here's another example for you. The 2000 Ravens didn't look like they'd sniff the playoffs and then Dilfer became the starter. After that they went on to win the SB. Does that make Dilfer the team's MVP? Hell no.
Well one can argue that Trent was the MVP. Why? Because he did not **** up the game. He know what his role was and it did it better than anyone could. His job was to make one or two throws game and not make a dump as decision and the Defense would do the rest. I agree CJ is the true MVP of the Titans, but I am starting to realize a QB causes more damage and than good. I could wrong, but it really looks like you can win more games with a QB not making stupid decisions.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #59
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Well one can argue that Trent was the MVP. Why? Because he did not **** up the game. He know what his role was and it did it better than anyone could. His job was to make one or two throws game and not make a dump as decision and the Defense would do the rest. I agree CJ is the true MVP of the Titans, but I am starting to realize a QB causes more damage and than good. I could wrong, but it really looks like you can win more games with a QB not making stupid decisions.
That doesn't make you the MVP. Read what you wrote... MVP? Come on, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing now. Maybe he was the most valuable QB. I'd say VY is that for the Titans too.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
That doesn't make you the MVP. Read what you wrote... MVP? Come on, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing now. Maybe he was the most valuable QB. I'd say VY is that for the Titans too.
If Trent did not play QB would they have won a super bowl? Hm sounds like a MVP too me!
Old 12-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #61
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

Quote:
We can ignore the fact that most of VY's passing yards have been to Johnson
lol what?

280 out of Young's 1620 passing yards have been to Johnson. That would be less than 1/5th, which is not anywhere close to "most"

anyway, I know that's not your point Wharton. Ill turn my hyperbole meter back on

Last edited by ZB9; 12-23-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #62
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

If the Titans had a better record, then Johnson might have a shot but he doesnt. CJ should be 3rd in MVP voting imo, behind only Peyton and Brees.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #63
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

I wonder if these guys wanting Johnson to win because of stats argued for Drew Brees to win last year.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 12-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I wonder if these guys wanting Johnson to win because of stats argued for Drew Brees to win last year.
There's a pretty big difference between the two.

Brees had a great season without question, but the biggest statistical difference between him and the top quarterbacks (Peyton, Warner, and Rivers) really just boiled down to him throwing the ball a lot more. With equal throws, they're all within 100-200 yards of Brees (Rivers passes him by a few hundred) and all throw for more touchdowns. Per pass, Rivers was far better than Brees.

Johnson on the otherhand laps everyone several times over.

He has the best YPC of 600+ yard rushers, and of the top 12 rushers in attempts, the next closest is .9 YPC behind him. He has the highest YPC of a top 10 rusher as far as ESPN's stats go back (2002), and probably the highest since Barry Sanders.

He has almost double the number of 20+ yard runs (20 to the next closest's 11) and has more 30+ yard runs than anyone else has 20+ yard runs.

Plus, despite Titans' games this year being seen by about 18 people, everyone has seen Johnson play because he's a lock for 2-3 amazing highlights each week.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »