Home

AFC Wild Card: Baltimore Ravens @ New England Patriots

This is a discussion on AFC Wild Card: Baltimore Ravens @ New England Patriots within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #49
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: AFC Wild Card: Baltimore Ravens @ New England Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orga-Yo
I disagree. If the Ravens are going to win this game they will have to win it passing. With Wilfork in no team has really been able to run the ball. I am assuming Wilfork will play. It is up to the Raven's oline to give Flaco time and pick is apart like so many teams have already.

That being said I pick New England winning it 20-14.
Ray Rice had 103 yds rushing on 11 carries (and 49 rec yards) when the Ravens played the Pats in week 4. Honestly, passing too much is probably why they didn't win the game.

One thing I'll give you is that Bill picks a player to focus on, and usually does a pretty good job of shutting them down. Rice is that guy this week, no doubt. If he's really as good as he's seemed this year (I think he finished second to Chris Johnson in total yards) then he won't be stopped. My worry is that our secondary won't be able to stop Brady/Moss either.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #50
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Actually the Ravens have been much more consistent this year than the Pats really. I'm hoping for a break in the trend but so far this year has been easy to figure out for them.

Lets look at the teams they lost to... IND, CIN (2), MIN, GB, NE, PIT. The only one of those teams not in the playoffs is PIT and we all know they were a strong player. In fact PIT and GB are the only teams on that list that didn't win their division and GB's late push says they may be better than their record and PIT's the arch rival (series was destined for a split). My point is, the Ravens have beaten every team they were supposed to and lost to every team they were supposed to. The only exceptions were SD (but that was in week 2) and PIT who I think is pretty close to the same level and BAL split with them.

Considering all of that, the smart money would be on the Patriots squeaking out a narrow victory. Of course I hope that doesn't happen but if you're looking for an angle on the 2009 Ravens, there it is.
Hmm...I'm sure you're right (You would obviously have more game to game insight than me on the Ravens). Maybe it's just my perception from the limited time I've seen them play this year.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #51
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Hmm...I'm sure you're right (You would obviously have more game to game insight than me on the Ravens). Maybe it's just my perception from the limited time I've seen them play this year.
The perception makes sense. Looking from a glance, it looks like they either dominate or lose a close game. You'd think they could beat anybody when they put it all together, but they've just been inconsistent in doing that. I'm banking on that being true and this the "good" Ravens on Sunday. But if they lose, they will have lost to every "playoff quality" team they played this year (besides SD in week 2... and honestly they weren't playoff quality back then). They also beat ever non "playoff quality" team they played. I'm afraid they just might be what their record says they are... average.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 19

The Ravens are hella inconsistent, and the individual that best exemplifies this fact is Joe Flacco. He looks great some games (particulary first half of season) and looks lost in others. Luckily, when he is lost he doesn't force many turnover, just simply doesn't manufacture firstdowns.

The defense has been inconsistent all year, as they started off bad, got better and better, and now show signs of tapering off again. The reason? Ed Reed is back. Dude simply is a liability at this point. I love him as a players, but I would trade an entire game of solid textbook safety play than freelancing for 30 plus snaps and perhaps getting an int or 2 a game. Ed the past few years was a one or two play a game safety. One or two plays he did things noone else could do, the other 30 or so he simply did not exist. Polamalu imo has been way more impactful and better for his team.

Having said that, who knows what the playoffs can bring. If the Ravens are good for one thing, when it's important they will fight. They might do stupid things, but they will never back down. Save for Terrell Suggs I don't forsee a situation where a Ravens player will be taking plays off come Sunday. As for Suggs, he will try hard and make a move when the ball is snapped, after he is rejected he will simply coast for the rest of the play. He is like the opposite of Jared Allen.

All in all, the Ravens will not advance unless Flacco has a solid day. As many have said, in the playoffs you can't hide your quarterback.

FYI Wwharton- According to their record they are above average but not elite. You haveto give them credit for being 9-7 and I think they are a good team that can dance with the big boys. In the end however, they have not shown they can beat them.

Last edited by Adam Dayton; 01-07-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:05 AM   #53
We Spent Some Money!

ZM Punk's Arena

OVR: 32

This is a toss up game to me so I'll go with the team with the superior quarterback and coach.

New Engalnd 21
Baltimore 17

Adolphus Washington-Ohio State Freshman
Old 01-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #54
Obey the Father!!!!

Eton Rifles's Arena

OVR: 25

The thing for the ravens is not too fall behind by more than 10 points. Flacco has been a bit inconsistant this year and besides Mason, the WR's are not that good. Keep it close and see if Rice and McGahee can pound out the victory.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #55
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dayton
FYI Wwharton- According to their record they are above average but not elite. You haveto give them credit for being 9-7 and I think they are a good team that can dance with the big boys. In the end however, they have not shown they can beat them.
If they lose they'll finish the year 9-8... "slightly" over .500.

Wins against: DEN, KC, OAK, CLE(2), PIT, DET, SD, CHI
Losses against: CIN(2), NE(2), IND, MIN, GB, PIT

The Chargers would be the only playoff team they beat all year and that was in week 2 when SD wasn't what they are right now. Of course I'd love to look at it by how close all the loses have been, and for them to get over that hump now that we're in the "real" season. But the reality is, if they lose the entire season will be one of beating all the teams you should have and losing to all the teams that you want to be among in the discussion of who's good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #56
The Lord of #Hashtags

legendkiller5's Arena

OVR: 27

What's this about Moss missing practice today? Talk about bad timing...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »