Home

Are there any Super Bowl winner without a Pro Bowl QB?

This is a discussion on Are there any Super Bowl winner without a Pro Bowl QB? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Are there any Super Bowl winner without a Pro Bowl QB?

Wow, thanks for the replies.
Didnt realize so many non-Pro Bowl QBs won the SB.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 47

It happens, but the odd are still slim. If you have a true stud QB you have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Yes, you can win A Superbowl without a Pro Bowl QB.

But if your looking to win multiple Superbowls, or even compete yearly for the Superbowl YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PRO BOWL QB.

You look at all the dynasties of the NFL. 60's Packers, 70's Steelers, 80's 49ers, 90's Cowboys, 00's Patriots. All of them had Hall of Fame Qb's.

Look at the teams for the past 6 years who always are contending for the Superbowl. Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Chargers, Eagles, etc. They all are equipped with Pro Bowl caliber QB's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2010, 12:51 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
But if your looking to win multiple Superbowls, or even compete yearly for the Superbowl YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PRO BOWL QB.

You look at all the dynasties of the NFL. 60's Packers, 70's Steelers, 80's 49ers, 90's Cowboys, 00's Patriots. All of them had Hall of Fame Qb's.
It really comes down to a chicken or the egg thing.

Sure, they all made the Hall of Fame, but aside from Montana, I'm not sure the rest are in the Hall of Fame with one Super Bowl win. If anything, those dynasties are pretty good cases for a great defense rather than great quarterback.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
It really comes down to a chicken or the egg thing.

Sure, they all made the Hall of Fame, but aside from Montana, I'm not sure the rest are in the Hall of Fame with one Super Bowl win. If anything, those dynasties are pretty good cases for a great defense rather than great quarterback.
If a great defense was the case then why didn't teams like 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens and 2002 Tampa Bay repeat? These teams had some of the greatest defenses of all time but none of them repeated.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
If a great defense was the case then why didn't teams like 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens and 2002 Tampa Bay repeat? These teams had some of the greatest defenses of all time but none of them repeated.
Can't remember all of the particulars so Bears and Bucs fans will have to fill in the blanks but I"m pretty sure there's reason for all of these (you're a Bears fan, right?). As for the Ravens, Jamal was hurt the next season, pretty sure Sharpe was gone and for all the grief Dilfer gets, trying to work in Grbac behind a shaky/injured oline without the star RB isn't easy. Even still they made the playoffs and won a game.

Winning a SB isn't exactly easy. There are 31 other teams doing all they can to do the same thing. It's really not like you can ever assume a team will repeat for any reason.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
It's not like the 1986 Giants and 2001, 2003, and 2004 Patriots were weak defensively.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #16
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Can't remember all of the particulars so Bears and Bucs fans will have to fill in the blanks but I"m pretty sure there's reason for all of these (you're a Bears fan, right?). As for the Ravens, Jamal was hurt the next season, pretty sure Sharpe was gone and for all the grief Dilfer gets, trying to work in Grbac behind a shaky/injured oline without the star RB isn't easy. Even still they made the playoffs and won a game.

Winning a SB isn't exactly easy. There are 31 other teams doing all they can to do the same thing. It's really not like you can ever assume a team will repeat for any reason.
I get what your saying. There could be a lot of factors that go into not repeating. But when I look at the repeat champions the one most common thing I always see is a HOF/Pro bowl QB.

As far as the 86 Bears, part can be contributed to having a non-pro bowl QB(Sorry, McMahon is not a pro bowl QB) and the other part is having a bone head coach in Mike Dika. Despite the 14-2 season the Bears had, McMahon was hurt for most of the season and Mike Tomzack played at QB. So in reality, Tomzack was the Bears starting QB in 1986. Now Tomzack is far from HOF caliber BUT nonetheless, he was the Bears starting QB for that season. Now playoff time comes around and who does Ditka decides to start for a playoff game? Rookie QB Doug Flutie! At the time everybody in Chicago was like WTF! So we end up loosing the game 27-13 and a lot of Ditka apologist would blame the defense for that game which gave up 20 points in the second half. But at the same time, why didn't the Bears score in the second half of the game? They were completely shut out in the second half, and mainly because rookie QB Doug Fluite was in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »