Home

Should L.T hang up the cleats?

This is a discussion on Should L.T hang up the cleats? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Should L.T hang up the cleats?

Quote:
Should L.T hang up the cleats?
No. He shouldn't. Give him a quality run blocking offensive line and then see what he can do.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 01-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #18
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39

I bet you if LT did not hang up the cleats and went to another team, he'd still be very productive.

The Chargers strength now is in the passing game, not the running game. If it was just L.T. who wasn't running well, why isn't Sproles lighting it up if it's just L.T.'s fault? Why didn't Michael Bennett run well when he was activated in L.T.'s absence earlier this season? The problem isn't the running back position.

People need to realize the Chargers played with two rookies/first-year starters on the offensive line for the majority of the season (Center and Right Guard). Factor in that the teams' fullbacks are no where near the caliber of Lorenzo Neal when it comes to run blocking.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #19
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I don't think LT SHOULD hang them up. I think he has a couple years of quality left in him. It's no coincidence that his production has slipped since the Chargers have become more of a pass first team. The O-Line hasn't done a very good at run blocking. Heck, even a complete neophyte can see that LT isn't getting much help up front.

The injuries are a concern but he has shown down the stretch this year that he still has some flashes of brilliance left in him. I do think that if the Chargers were to somehow win the SB he'll call it a career rather then going off to some other team. If the Chargers don't make it I think he ends up playing for a team like Indy or New England who can open up holes easier for him.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Keep the guy at a lower base salary, especially if he's not the starter. He is still a good all-around player: solid hands, understand pass protection, can still run with the ball, it's just that he's not the explosive, dynamic specimen he once was. That's not to say he can't contribute to the roster & be a role-player instead of the star.... I think the team has rightfully starting shifting their attack to take advantage of Rivers more.
I agree with this. If the Chargers got a solid runner to compliment LT, he could still be an effective player. Part of why LT's been less effective as a runner, aside from his age and general wear on his body, has been the decline of the Chargers' offensive line. I think he could still put up 4 YPC and around 800 yards if his line gave him some help.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #21
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I want to see LT stick around. Love watching him play, and I think he is still a good running back.

Also, despite that I'm a Cowboys fan, it'd be cool to see him somehow get rejuvenated and challenge Emmitt's record.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #22
MVP

Tiko7523's Arena

OVR: 14

no LT still has talent and can play the game hes just not elite anymore hes just GOOD.

he can easily do a ricky williams type roll or just share with another RB in another team.... i think the texans could be a good fit because he can catch the ball and run the ball for them

PSN gamertag Tiko7523
Xbox Live Tag: Tiko7523
Old 01-17-2010, 12:23 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 19

If he is content with his role and understands he is no longer elite then the answer is no. He is still a valuable change of pace to Sproles imo. If he is embarrassed with playing below the wonderful reputation he made for himself, then he should have retired a year or two ago imo.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #24
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

I'm not making excuses for him. I do think his balance is gone a bit. He gets tackled easier than he used too. 2-3 years ago, he gets hit in the legs and he's still going for an extra 5-10 yards.

But that team isn't run blocking that well.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »