Home

Reed says he'll consider retirement

This is a discussion on Reed says he'll consider retirement within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: Reed says he'll consider retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesTheCoach

Which is probably why he was voted "dirtiest player". Defenders that are bigger than Ward that aren't used to being on the recieving end of punishing hits and whining about it like some of the posters in this thread are doing. "That WR hit me really hard, that's not supposed to happen, what a dirty player!!"
Bingo. It's a trickle down effect to the fans......who are usually full of the same excuses and whines that the players spew to the local press whenever they lose to the Steelers.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #50
Go Titans..

OVR: 34

I'd be shocked if he retires
Old 01-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
For a guy "who's worth a cheap shot a game" over the course of a 12 year career.....you should have no problem lining up a number of clips to prove your theory. Posting 1 or 2 (which are always the same couple everyone posts all the time) doesn't support your case. LOL at the Ravens fans who are still butt-hurt that Ward has laid out Reed and Scott. I'll grant that the shot on Reed was over the line, but like I said.....let's see some real evidence to support that claim.

And sorry, 11.6% of a test sample of 296 player vote isn't exactly conclusive. Some of the haters love to make out like they could walk into any locker room in the league, ask "who's dirtiest?", and have 90% of all players polled answer "Hines Ward". 34 players out of 296 voted him "dirtiest". Like I said......HARDLY conclusive.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...tiest-player/1

Good portion of Steelers game I watch, Ward is good for at least one helmet to helmet a game. It's his blocking style, he has a shady technique that more often than not causes him to lead with his head. That link I posted of his blocking "highlights", the majority if not all of them were cheap as hell. You will see his natural "style" of leading with the head.

Lol at pulling up a Hines Ward is voted dirtiest player in the league poll to disprove the concept that above anyone else in the game, more players feel he is dirtier than anyone. 11 percent is huge dude. Do you understand the significance of that number, lol.

Last edited by Adam Dayton; 01-17-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #52
Banned

Quote:
95% of Ward's blocks are what? You are the one that is insane. Hyperbole much?

You keep showing me that clip and I've agreed that it was a dirty hit. A dirty hit is a dirty hit, BUT I hate to break it to you but most of Ward's hits are not dirty. I understand why fans hate Ward - he's kicking the crap out of a player that is on your team and on top of that, he's a WR. That's not supposed to happen and I get it. It sucks for other fans, but it's pretty awesome to see if you're a Steelers fan.

Ben has taken a number of late hits in games, including against the Ravens, that aren't called. I've gotten used to it. For some reason the guy hardly ever gets roughing the passer flags from the refs. Maybe because he's often bigger than the guys hitting him late.

Honestly, I'm fine with it for the most part (unless it's blatant). I think the NFL is going over board with a lot of these new rules, including overly protecting the QB, but I guess that's for another thread.
A disproportionate number of Ward's blocks are dirty in comparison to the rest of the league, making him a dirty player. When you deviate from the norm, you are placed in a category and labeled, its just the way it is.

I hate Ward because one of his cheap shots affected the career of a hall of fame safety that happens to be on my team. Simple as that. Keep comparing roughing the passers not being called, this and that, it doesn't change the fact that you have a player on your team that is a cheap shot artist whose bs ways may directly effect the day to day quality of life of a nice person for the rest of his existence.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #53
Banned

Quote:
Which is probably why he was voted "dirtiest player". Defenders that are bigger than Ward that aren't used to being on the recieving end of punishing hits and whining about it like some of the posters in this thread are doing. "That WR hit me really hard, that's not supposed to happen, what a dirty player!!"
You can hit players as hard as you want. When you purposely lead with the crown of your helmet, its cheap as hell. Still don't understand how you can't grasp this concept.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #54
GO RAYS!!!

daniverson1973's Arena

OVR: 18

maybe he retires and then changes his mind an plays for Rex Ryan for the Jets next year???
Old 01-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #55
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

I don't think Reed will retire, he's still playing at a high level and was probably just a little "put off" after the game. Give him a week of cooling off and I'm sure he'll be singing a different tune.

As for the side discussion about Ward.
Does he make some dirty hits? Sometimes.
Is he out to end anyones career? I don't think so.
Does he play hard and give it his all on every play? Sure he does.
Can a defender let his guard down when Hines is on the field? No way, as a football player you should always expect to get hit no matter if your away from the play or not.
Would I love to have him on "my team"? Abso-freakin-lutely!!! If I were building a team, he would be would of my top choices at WR. He runs good routes, he has solid hands, he's a monster blocker (probably even better than some TE's), he doesn't "dog it" on run plays, he's a team player, hell he can do almost anything. How many other WR's across the NFL could you say that about? Really?

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #56
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dayton
Good portion of Steelers game I watch, Ward is good for at least one helmet to helmet a game. It's his blocking style, he has a shady technique that more often than not causes him to lead with his head. That link I posted of his blocking "highlights", the majority if not all of them were cheap as hell. You will see his natural "style" of leading with the head.

Lol at pulling up a Hines Ward is voted dirtiest player in the league poll to disprove the concept that above anyone else in the game, more players feel he is dirtier than anyone. 11 percent is huge dude. Do you understand the significance of that number, lol.
1) I watch far more Steelers football than you do. And I'm calling BS.

2) Still waiting for those clips to prove your point. Your word on the matter doesn't cut it.

3) As for the vote.......exactly 34 players out of just under 1700 NFL players cast a vote for Hines Ward as the "dirtiest player". That is a fact. Sorry, that is not "huge".

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »