Home

The "walking around" defense: what is it and the pros/cons

This is a discussion on The "walking around" defense: what is it and the pros/cons within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
Pro

Senor_Herbatron's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: The "walking around" defense: what is it and the pros/cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenG
the was kerry rhodes fault btw he sat there with his thumb up his *** when he was suppose to have saftey help.... hows the off season treating you dolphin?
With the hiring of Mike Nolan just mere minutes/hours away the offseason is going pretty well. We overachieved in 2008 and despite getting better still have a few needs away from being a playoff caliber team.

The #12 overall pick doesn't hurt things which is why in a way I'm very happy with how the JESTS are playing. They will have a much later pick then we will. They also made the playoffs so they most likely wont be able to do anything in FA unless a new CBA is reached.

The JESTS got better as the season progressed which is the complete opposite of what Miami did. In the end this run will mean nothing other then the AFC East is a battle between three teams now and the Pats dynasty has crumpled.

Goodluck the rest of the season.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtz
Kerry Rhodes should have been back but you guys are in fact claiming that Revis can shut down any WR in the NFL by himself. That just isn't true. As I have visual evidence.

In fact for most of the year Revis has safety help.

The "walking around" defense is great to disguise blitzes. Unfortunately I'm not sure how well it's going to work this week against Peyton.
I don't know any CB who could stay with Ginn step for step though on a fly route. You pretty much need someone over the top or you are going to get burned.

What team doesn't use safety help over the top? Rhodes is usually left to play cover 1 and helps on whatever WR is running deep.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtz
Kerry Rhodes should have been back but you guys are in fact claiming that Revis can shut down any WR in the NFL by himself. That just isn't true. As I have visual evidence.

In fact for most of the year Revis has safety help.

The "walking around" defense is great to disguise blitzes. Unfortunately I'm not sure how well it's going to work this week against Peyton.
Hmm, I didn't see where anyone said Revis can shut anyone down by himself. And really, there isn't anyone who can now and hasn't ever been. That is just ridiculous. Everyone gets beat, it's a part of playing the position.

Of course Revis has safety help most of the time, as do all CBs.

Fact of the matter is, Revis is no doubt an elite CB. The elite CBs can't shut everyone down everytime, just most of the time. Just not possible.
71 carrer INTs (#3 All-Time), 12 ret for TDs (#1 All-Time), 1483 Int Return Yards (#1 All-Time)
Member of NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team (Along with 5 other Steelers)

http://www.nfl.com/history/legends/75th-anniversary
Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #20
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold
Hmm, I didn't see where anyone said Revis can shut anyone down by himself. And really, there isn't anyone who can now and hasn't ever been. That is just ridiculous. Everyone gets beat, it's a part of playing the position.

Of course Revis has safety help most of the time, as do all CBs.

Fact of the matter is, Revis is no doubt an elite CB. The elite CBs can't shut everyone down everytime, just most of the time. Just not possible.
Let's also not forget the fact that ultimately, Ginn had 2 catches for 57 yards against the Jets this year.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 01-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
Let's also not forget the fact that ultimately, Ginn had 2 catches for 57 yards against the Jets this year.
I'm fairly he sure he was demoted from the starting lineup right after the Indy game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #22
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
I'm fairly he sure he was demoted from the starting lineup right after the Indy game.
An average of 2 catches and 35.8 yards in his career ignoring the second game last season.. Either way you swing it, it's not like the guy burns Revis and the Jets ever except for one play.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »