Home

John Clayton's Top Ten QB's of All-Time List

This is a discussion on John Clayton's Top Ten QB's of All-Time List within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #73
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: John Clayton's Top Ten QB's of All-Time List

I'm not going to read every response here but it's a pretty good list. You might have argument about the ratings but I think it's generally a good listing. I would've found a way to put Staubach in there maybe just edging out Starr for #10 if I were doing it.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #74
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
SB's should be the measuring stick of great qb's.
It's so funny how everyone agrees that football is the ultimate team game, yet somehow we judge quarterbacks' greatness based on their number of rings. Idiotic.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #75
Pro

OVR: 10

^^^^This. Besides, how are we now dogging the opinion of a Hall of Fame writer?! Clayton has watched all of these qb's (heavy video of Graham, who is ALWAYS named in the top 10 by longtime football writers) and uses plenty of intangibles to rate them.

And btw, Marino and his 0 SB's were JUST discussed on PTI as today is the 25th anniversary of his lone SB appearance. Wilbon: Marino could not be expected to win a SB all by himself.

Bill Simmons:

Quote:
There's a reason Dan Marino spends every waking moment wishing he was born in 1981, not 1961.

(Random tangent: Of all the retired guys in any sport, do you think Marino is the most bitter about someone else's timing? I was there for Marino's prime and Manning's prime. They were basically the same guy: Called their own plays, audibled at the line, barked at teammates, turned solid guys into All-Pros, always made opponents pay if you let them hang around. Manning moved a tad better, Marino had a little bit more of a cannon, but you beat both of them by collapsing their pocket and forcing them to hurry throws. Marino's prime extended 13 years; Manning hits Year 13 next season. Like John Elway, Marino was mired in the You Can't Win A Super Bowl Unless You Can Run The Ball And Stop The Run Era … only he never found his Terrell Davis. Manning? He won a Super Bowl with Dom Rhodes and Joe Addai. Basically, Marino resents Manning's era as much as I resent everyone younger than 30 who spent the past decade single in the Casual Sex Is Not Only OK, It's Encouraged Era.)
Peter King:
Quote:
In the MMQB book, I pick the Top 100 Players in NFL history. Here are my top 12 players of all time at the quarterback position.

1. Otto Graham. Easy. Ten seasons, seven championships, seven passing titles.

2. Sammy Baugh. Had the best season of any player ever in 1943. Led the NFL in passing, punting and, as one of the best safeties in football, in interceptions.

3. Joe Montana. Made everyone copy Walsh's high-tech offense, and won four titles in a decade.

4. Johnny Unitas. First great modern quarterback, and great in the clutch. He'd be higher if he won more than one title in his last 14 seasons.

5. Brett Favre. Most durable, most productive quarterback of all time. Marred by only one title.

6. Peyton Manning. Could break every record if Favre ever retires. Needs another championship or two to climb the list.

7. John Elway. Two titles, though they came late, capped the career of a Unitas-type with legs.

8. Dan Marino. Prototype dropback quarterback who, arguably, was the model for the pocket quarterback of the last 40 years.

9. Roger Staubach. Might be the best player/athlete/leader of a quarterback ever, and he edges Steve Young in my book with a second title and three more title-game appearances.

10. Tom Brady. Three Super Bowl wins by age 27, and a fourth appearance at 30.

11. Bart Starr. All he did was win -- five NFL titles, including the first two Super Bowl titles, both ending with him being MVP.

12. Terry Bradshaw. Rebounded from a horrible start to his career to lead the Steelers to four Super Bowls in six years.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0dCHwvpLv
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #76
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

I think a good way to determine the greatest QB is to look at their physical and mental tools.

A QB has to have the mental side down first: the ability to lead the offense into the end zone, the ability to make smart plays, and the ability to make plays when it counts. Physical tools come in second, only because I think a good QB can get away with not having the best physical tools.

My five based on this, omitting the old time guys (Unitas, etc.) just because I never saw them play and don't know enough about them:

1. John Elway - Just a dominant all-around football player.
2. Peyton Manning - Can break down any defense.
3. Joe Montana - Made plays when it counted most.
4. Dan Marino - Just think if the Dolphins had a run game back then.
5. Warren Moon - 6 years lost in the CFL because of GM's ignorance.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #77
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

wanted to throw out there i meant to say graham played for the browns was kinda dead when i made that post

Old 01-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #78
Banned

OVR: 8

Joe Montana is and should be number one on this list. He's the greatest quaterback to ever play the game.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #79
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Of the QBs I have actually seen play I would rank them:

1. Marino
2. Elway
3. Manning
4. Favre
5. Brady
Old 01-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42
Of the QBs I have actually seen play I would rank them:

1. Marino
2. Elway
3. Manning
4. Favre
5. Brady
That'd be my list too except I'd swap Elway/Marino and Favre/Brady.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »