Home

John Clayton's Top Ten QB's of All-Time List

This is a discussion on John Clayton's Top Ten QB's of All-Time List within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #57
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: John Clayton's Top Ten QB's of All-Time List

Two Packer fans going at it? Then you wonder why Packer nation is divided. If Favre is still having an effect on you two years removed, have at it.

I've sat through the Phil Bengston years up to the present. Favre injected a lot of good to the Packers, but let's not forget the other side, either, on and off the field.

My opinion of him lowered when he crossed state lines. I don't blame him for continuing his career, just not to the rivals.

As far as the list, I know Johnny U is the ultimate figure to look up at QB's, but I have a hard time putting someone number 1 with the same amount of Int's as TD's.

I'd place Montana #1, drop Bradshaw for Young or Aikman and leave Favre in the top 5.

Last edited by roadman; 01-20-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #58
Rookie

NCAAFootballFreak's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopydude
your a very funny guy you know that? otto graham should be number 1. in his 10 years he played he led the bills to the superbowl EVERY YEAR and won it 5 times
The Bills have only played in four Super Bowls, period -- 1991, 1992, 1993 and 1994, losing to New York, Washington, Dallas and Dallas again.

And as someone else alluded to, Graham never played for Buffalo. He only played for Cleveland from 1946 through 1955. The Super Bowl did not exist until 1967 (the end of the 1966 season).

As for my take, it's awfully hard to compare modern-era players to the ones before 1966 because of how much the game has changed.

"Johnny Unitas . . . Now THERE'S a hair cut you can set your watch to!"
Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #59
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

I'd have Brady & Peyton over Favre. The only thing Favre has on them is longevity (granted that is a pretty big thing). Since I've never seen Graham, Bradshaw (only SB replays) or Unitas play I can't comment on them. Personally I go back and forth between Montana & Elway. Montana had a great supporting cast but still stood out where as Elway was as true a 1 man show as we will ever see.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #60
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
My thoughts are that his list is ludicrous since he has Peyton at 8th. I'll stick with Trent Dilfer's opinion who thinks Peyton Manning is the greatest of all time.
Lol. Can't be the greatest of all time if you don't win When it counts. Peyton is the sheriff in the regular season but then turns into the town drunk in the playoffs.

I think the list is not bad but you can't put Marino above SB winners. I would have Brady higher than Favre, Peyton is right where he should be.

(Revis you know I am messing with you).
Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #61
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

These lists are always ********, comparing guys from today to guys who played 70 years ago. Unless someone does a Bill Simmons-style breakdown (in his book) with insane research these lists shouldn't even be published.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #62
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

I don't see how Marino isn't in the top three. I can't wait till the day comes that people don't think a super bowl equals a good qb. Trent dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Thiesman, Doug Williams, Phil Sims, Eli manning are all better than dan marino.

In fact, Ben roethlisberger is better than Manning and twice as good as Marino.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #63
Banned

OVR: 17

I'd put both Brady and Manning ahead of Favre on that list.

And with regard to the subject of Favre's injury last year............you only have Favre's word to go on. And Favre's word is mud these days. He's a proven liar. He'd do or say anything to make himself look better.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #64
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I don't see how Marino isn't in the top three. I can't wait till the day comes that people don't think a super bowl equals a good qb. Trent dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Thiesman, Doug Williams, Phil Sims, Eli manning are all better than dan marino.

In fact, Ben roethlisberger is better than Manning and twice as good as Marino.
SB's should be the measuring stick of great qb's, especially when we are talking about qb's that have established themselves as elite on their respective teams. We know that Marino was an elite qb through his many years of consistency, but regular season consistency should not end the discussion. The regulars season is nothing more than a preliminary contest to position your teamfor what really counts and that is the playoffs and the SB.

Any elite qb that wins consistently in the regular season but cannot win consitently in the playoffs should never sit above elite qb's that are consistent (through the years) in the regular season, then excel in the playoffs and become SB winners.

Your concern when mentioning Dilfer, Simms, Williams and Big Ben, is do you consider them elite qb's through years of performance?

Marino, who is my favorite QB of all time cannot sit above those elite qb's that have won SB's. Why? because he at his best, in his prime, could not lead his team to the ring. The QB position is more than just throwing the ball, it is also a position of leadership, this is why the QB is giving the credit for winning and losing. It is what it is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »