Home

Great article about Manning and co. from last year

This is a discussion on Great article about Manning and co. from last year within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #17
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Great article about Manning and co. from last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Again: remove the 3 magic rules and he'd be done. He wouldn't last half a season without those rules to protect him:

No more sliding
No more throwing the ball away
No more 5 yard chuck

If Manning is as good as you say, he'd still be able to put up numbers without these rules to hide his weaknesses. I seriously doubt that he could.
On the contrary, I don't think he'd have any problem putting up statistics comparable to 1960s-era quarterbacks if you put him in a 1960s-football situation. Certainly he wouldn't have 4500+ yards and whatnot, but he'd still be one of the best and I don't believe there's any evidence you can bring up that would even begin to support your point; I can at least point to the fact that Manning has been successful at every level of football he's been a part of in his era. Forgive me for being blunt, but I think your opinion is nothing more is jaded speculation.

That said, I do think that some small concessions need to be made to make defense and the running game a bit more of a factor in NFL football; it was a bit too pass-happy this year for my tastes, but that may just be the way the sport is heading.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:55 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6

If your going to say that Manning wouldnt be what he is without these rules, then you might as well say that for every other starting QB. Seriously bro...the Manning bashing was cute at first, now it's just annoying...give it a rest.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #19
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

OVR: 19

Id like to see Peyton Manning last a whole season in a league where all the defenders have pistols.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:04 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbo24
If your going to say that Manning wouldnt be what he is without these rules, then you might as well say that for every other starting QB. Seriously bro...the Manning bashing was cute at first, now it's just annoying...give it a rest.
To be fair, he does say that every QB in the NFL is overrated. Only problem is, the only QB he ever talks about is Manning, and sometimes Brady, but mostly just Manning.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 02-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #21
Go Titans..

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
To be fair, he does say that every QB in the NFL is overrated. Only problem is, the only QB he ever talks about is Manning, and sometimes Brady, but mostly just Manning.
I said Brady was overrated, seriously? When i said Brady is overrated that doesn't mean every QB in the NFL.

Last edited by Evan_OS; 02-09-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlueDude
I said Brady was overrated, seriously? When i said Brady is overrated that doesn't mean every QB in the NFL.
What? I'm not talking about you? lol.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 02-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #23
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
On the contrary, I don't think he'd have any problem putting up statistics comparable to 1960s-era quarterbacks if you put him in a 1960s-football situation. Certainly he wouldn't have 4500+ yards and whatnot, but he'd still be one of the best and I don't believe there's any evidence you can bring up that would even begin to support your point; I can at least point to the fact that Manning has been successful at every level of football he's been a part of in his era. Forgive me for being blunt, but I think your opinion is nothing more is jaded speculation.

That said, I do think that some small concessions need to be made to make defense and the running game a bit more of a factor in NFL football; it was a bit too pass-happy this year for my tastes, but that may just be the way the sport is heading.

You may be right. I can't prove a hypothetical. But based on Manning's skills vs. the previous era I highly doubt it. Unitas, Graham, Dawson, Tittle, et al played defense and/or running back at the college level. They were real athletes. Manning just isn't. Brees and Brady aren't. I believe they would get killed without these rules to protect them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
I don't dislike Manning, Brady, Brees and Warner. They all seem like good stand up guys. They did not make the rules. But they also know, and never acknowledge, that they have an unfair advantage. This makes me question their integrity just a bit.

I'll state again for the record: I don't think changing the NFL back to real football is feasible. I do think the NFL is vulnerable to a hardcore league in the same way that boxing was to MMA.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #24

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
They did not make the rules. But they also know, and never acknowledge, that they have an unfair advantage. This makes me question their integrity just a bit.
You question their integrity? All because they dont come out and make some idiotic statement about having an unfair advantage? Your posts are terrible and I dont think youve ever made an actual, legit point in any of them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »