Home

Goodell to ban the 3 point stance?

This is a discussion on Goodell to ban the 3 point stance? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #73
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Goodell to ban the 3 point stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
In the TIMES and New Yorker articles are stating the issue is not the major concussion that are the problem but the minor concussions that are adding up that are causing brain damage. There are comparing football collisions to low speed car accidents. I think the UNC allowed researchers to rig the helmet of players to find how many of those "low impact' car accidents happen to players. One player had 7 " low impact" car accidents meaning a car going 20 mph in one practice.
How do they know that these concussions are coming from contact on the line of scrimmage? How do they know this isn't happening with guys run-blocking to the second level, because I can see lineman with a few yards to get a head of steam going up against a linebacker causing some serious head injuries? And eliminating the 3-point stand won't do anything to stop the violent collisions at the second level.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 31

Slow the field down = less serious concussions.

Instead the NFL has made the game faster and faster....
Old 02-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #75
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
It can add up though. Alot of linemen I played college ball with complained of headaches and such. My head coach who played 16 seasons in the NFL was sharp as a knife for somebody his age, but he alluded that alot of his linemen buddies weren't. And that's at the D-1A college level.
See above.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #76
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
Slow the field down = less serious concussions.

Instead the NFL has made the game faster and faster....
How does one do that? It's not like they're playing on astroturf where everyone is getting a 20% speed burst due to the turf.

Maybe they need to play on a bigger field?

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 02-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #77
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
See above.
Researchers have rigged helmets to quantify the impacts of hits to the helmet. Just watch the video a few post back by TIME magazine. The issues of what causing head injuries are becoming less and less debatable.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #78
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
How do they know that these concussions are coming from contact on the line of scrimmage? How do they know this isn't happening with guys run-blocking to the second level, because I can see lineman with a few yards to get a head of steam going up against a linebacker causing some serious head injuries? And eliminating the 3-point stand won't do anything to stop the violent collisions at the second level.
I think Goddell intends to eliminate it from defense as well. It's common sense why it's coming from contact on the line of scrimmage. Anytime a 300+ lb man slams into your head, it's going to make an impact. That's the whole point of the 3 point stance. To get low and generate momentum to drive your opponent back.

That said, the 3 pt stance is as apart of football as the forward pass or 6 men on the line of scrimmage. It's a terrible idea to get rid of it completely.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #79
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I think Goddell intends to eliminate it from defense as well. It's common sense why it's coming from contact on the line of scrimmage. Anytime a 300+ lb man slams into your head, it's going to make an impact. That's the whole point of the 3 point stance. To get low and generate momentum to drive your opponent back.

That said, the 3 pt stance is as apart of football as the forward pass or 6 men on the line of scrimmage. It's a terrible idea to get rid of it completely.
I agree. The end of the 3 point stance will be the end of power football.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #80
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Grunt I understand where you're coming from and I share your concerns BUT what Goodell is doing is kneejerk reactionary stuff. There's actually a new helmet being developed now that will help to reduce concussions. There's also a helmet that's being used in HS and some college teams where there's an instrument inside that will tell you EXACTLY when a player has a concussion so that he can be taken out of the game and evaluated medically.

When faced with something like this the best thing to do is to try to fix things while keeping the game as close to the way it is as you can. What the NFL is trying to do is to change the very fabric of the game rather then looking at alternative ways to make it safer. I'd understand some of the "chicken little" reactions if they tried alternative means to make the game safer and it hasn't done much. Instead they're just bypassing any chance to make the game safer through equipment and changing things just to make them look like they're doing something about it.

It's interesting, the NHL is doing little to make their game safer and better while the NFL is doing TOO much by stripping away what makes football as popular as it is rather then trying to look for other ways to make the game safer.
This whole post. SPTO has the pulse of the issue.

Also, you should consider who Goodell is married to. He has that same mindset as her employer: do whatever it takes to get ratings and jump on whatever popular bandwagon your critics are riding.

Oh, we have concussions? We are now the anti-concussion league. Oh we have players dog fighting? We are now the animal rights league. And so on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »