Home

The "pro-style" offense

This is a discussion on The "pro-style" offense within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: The "pro-style" offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
It doesn't help that most QBs in that system have noodle arms.
Yeah, that's true. But it's not like the service academies get the pick of the litter as far as QB's. They're are some pretty athletic QB's in the NFL who could run it though.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 02-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
The wishbone of the 80's is quite different than the "gimmick" offenses used by the academies and GT. The current triple option can be used to spread out the defense and the slot backs are more viable receiving threats.
I'm aware that the wishbone and the current formations are not the same, but again, there's a reason a bunch of top teams up and abandoned the bone and options in the late 80s.

The triple option can spread out all they want, but once a team has a month to prepare or faces it a second time, it is soundly defeated as we've seen with both GTech bowl games.

Quote:
They're are some pretty athletic QB's in the NFL who could run it though.
Who?
Old 02-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang_chi7
Got a stupid question but at draft time always makes me wonder. We always hear about how QB X played in a spread offense and that can't transition to an NFL offense cause he never took snaps under center and blah blah blah. Its a valid concern don't get me wrong.

My question though is why do NFL teams all stick with basically the same offenses (or at least same formations/personnel)? Why has the option really never been tried before? Or the spread option or the normal spread for that matter? Afraid of change? I've always heard the option won't work because of defensive speed at the pro level, but do we really know that's true?

The wildcat is a sort of option that has worked (obviously not as a full time offensive attack though.) The Pats have basically run a spread for years and are in shotgun quite often. Hell the Run N Shoot is a cousin of the spread and worked very well years ago. So why are teams afraid of a guy who only ran the shotgun in college? If you're a team that is at the bottom of the standings why not try something new? You would at least give the opposing defense something new to worry about when they play you rather than just another pro-style offensive attack to plan for this week.

Coaches in the NFL don't run the option because they want to win. It has nothing to do with DE speed and everything to do with how easy it is to throw the ball in the NFL.

You can stop the option with a fast defense. You can't stop an accurate QB in the modern game. Well, you can, but it's damned hard. Your chances of success with a very accurate QB and a decent supporting cast are FAR GREATER than your chances with the option even if you had the ideal personnel.

The NFL wanted a PASSING league. It has one. Contrary to popular belief you COULD run the option effectively. But it would pale in comparison to a great passing attack because even a great defense looks silly trying to stop receivers it's not allowed to touch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
I'm aware that the wishbone and the current formations are not the same, but again, there's a reason a bunch of top teams up and abandoned the bone and options in the late 80s.

The triple option can spread out all they want, but once a team has a month to prepare or faces it a second time, it is soundly defeated as we've seen with both GTech bowl games.

Who?
Of course Vick, VY, and Alex Smith are great athletes who could run the option in the NFL. I actually played in mini-camp with Aaron Rodgers and he is actually a great athlete who could run it.

Shotgun styles, that's a good post. In the NFL, you needed balance...but as the rules change, the pass is the way to go. Like you said, why even flirt with the option?
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 02-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Of course Vick, VY, and Alex Smith are great athletes who could run the option in the NFL. I actually played in mini-camp with Aaron Rodgers and he is actually a great athlete who could run it.
Vick would be dead the first game he had to run the option and a 6-4 and 6-5 quarterback would be done by their second game.

NFL quarterbacks (or any position for that matter) can't take the 15+ exposed hits a game that the option requires.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #14
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Vick would be dead the first game he had to run the option and a 6-4 and 6-5 quarterback would be done by their second game.

NFL quarterbacks (or any position for that matter) can't take the 15+ exposed hits a game that the option requires.
I disagree. Alot of the tackles in the option are not extremely physical because most defenders are thinking assignment. Also, option QB's are taught to avoid hits rather than seek out contact. Would they get popped and beat up some? Of course. But they're not taking RB hits. Likewise, you wouldn't need 6'4 or 6'5 QB's in the triple option. The size required at QB is a result of the pro set and needing to see over 6'6/6'7 linemen.

I played in the option AND pro set in college and at least saw a glimmer of NFL defenses and what they could do live. I really believe that if the vertical game was viable from the option, it could work. However, it's just too easy to run a pro style offense with the current set up. Too ingrained in current NFL coaches and players. A switch to the TO would require something built from scratch.
-Rocky Balboa
Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
I disagree. Alot of the tackles in the option are not extremely physical because most defenders are thinking assignment. Also, option QB's are taught to avoid hits rather than seek out contact. Would they get popped and beat up some? Of course. But they're not taking RB hits. Likewise, you wouldn't need 6'4 or 6'5 QB's in the triple option. The size required at QB is a result of the pro set and needing to see over 6'6/6'7 linemen.
They'd be taking worse than RB hits when they pitch.

And obviously you wouldn't want a tall QB running the option, but unless you know a way to shrink VY and Alex Smith, that's what you're stuck with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief...speed doesn't stop the option. Of course it helps, but discipline and coaching are the two things that really hurt the option the most.
This is what people fail to understand.

I think Vick, Dunn and Duckett could have run a very effective Veer triple option in Atlanta.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »