Home

This Is Sad for Football

This is a discussion on This Is Sad for Football within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 62
Re: This Is Sad for Football

Unfortunately true, but those engaged in "Private Security" in the Middle East bring in a lot of money as do those who put out oil fires in the Middle East (I actually think the latter are the highest hourly paid workers in the world). Like NFL players they are paid insane amounts of money to do a job with very substantial short term and long term health risks.

Can you only imagine what the NFL would have done if Chris Benoit had been a former or current NFL player instead of a WWE wrestler. The example may sound ridiculous but I can guarantee there are NFL players out there around his age with brain damage every bit as severe. Now even that being said this is an unfortunate side effect of the game that pays a minimum of hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Instead of worrying about contact perhaps the NFL should look into making safer helmets and protective gear.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Unfortunately true, but those engaged in "Private Security" in the Middle East bring in a lot of money as do those who put out oil fires in the Middle East (I actually think the latter are the highest hourly paid workers in the world). Like NFL players they are paid insane amounts of money to do a job with very substantial short term and long term health risks.

Can you only imagine what the NFL would have done if Chris Benoit had been a former or current NFL player instead of a WWE wrestler. The example may sound ridiculous but I can guarantee there are NFL players out there around his age with brain damage every bit as severe. Now even that being said this is an unfortunate side effect of the game that pays a minimum of hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Instead of worrying about contact perhaps the NFL should look into making safer helmets and protective gear.
I'd settle for a mandatory chunk of every pay check going to the individual's post retirement health benefits. I certainly don't want to see anyone die on the field, but these reactions are more likely because of the sorry state of NFL alumni and their many health problems along with the increased frequency of concussions. That ignores the fact that those guys didn't make a yearly salary that matched what some of these guys make in a week and that we diagnose concussions better now so there were probably a ton that just went unnoticed back in the day.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

This is insanity. If you don't want to get hurt, then don't play football - very simply rationale...what is the union thinking even considering this?
Old 02-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
This is insanity. If you don't want to get hurt, then don't play football - very simply rationale...what is the union thinking even considering this?
Oh did this board roast my chestnuts for saying this few months ago.

You're right. No one is listening, but you're right.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 15

I don't see anything wrong with making practice softer.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Oh did this board roast my chestnuts for saying this few months ago.

You're right. No one is listening, but you're right.
This isn't why people roasted you. I'm pretty sure you know that (and I wasn't one who did).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #16
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
This isn't why people roasted you. I'm pretty sure you know that (and I wasn't one who did).
This was but one of MANY reasons, and I certainly never said it was the only one.

People went ON and ON about how callous I was for saying that injuries are a part of the game and should be accepted as such.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »