Home

NFL changes overtime format for playoffs

This is a discussion on NFL changes overtime format for playoffs within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #41
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NFL could change overtime format for playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
How about I just re-quote a post from one of the other 230 threads that whine about overtime:

One year is not a trend, chief.
Where to begin...

Your stats start BEFORE all the rules changes that make throwing the ball super easy. Second, the 62% stat quoted by NPR is for the FIVE YEARS leading up to 2008.

Trying to compare games played in the 1970's and 1980's to today's super handcuffed defenses is apples to oranges on your part. It's a different game now. Offenses are pandered to by the league and the officials and physical defense has been legislated out of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #42
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Where to begin...

Your stats start BEFORE all the rules changes that make throwing the ball super easy. Second, the 62% stat quoted by NPR is for the FIVE YEARS leading up to 2008.
How many OT games took place in those five years? Yeah they don't say that. Probably not many. 20? Not a trend.

Quote:
Trying to compare games played in the 1970's and 1980's to today's super handcuffed defenses is apples to oranges on your part. It's a different game now. Offenses are pandered to by the league and the officials and physical defense has been legislated out of the game.
To say something like this you have to prove the overall trend in higher offensive totals. Remember who holds the record for most passing yards in a season? When the first 2000 yard rusher was?

Take a look at the actual stats, instead of thinking about what your opinion is:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...team_stats.htm

Average offensive output per game this year? 335 yards. Average in 1981? 334. 1974 (the first year from the stats I posted) had 286, but the year after had 308 (only 30 yards less). Points? 18.5 in 1974, 21.5 in 2009, so a field goal.

The stats don't show your massive conspiracy theory.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 02-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #43
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
How many OT games took place in those five years? Yeah they don't say that. Probably not many. 20? Not a trend.

To say something like this you have to prove the overall trend in higher offensive totals. Remember who holds the record for most passing yards in a season? When the first 2000 yard rusher was?

Take a look at the actual stats, instead of thinking about what your opinion is:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...team_stats.htm

Average offensive output per game this year? 335 yards. Average in 1981? 334. 1974 (the first year from the stats I posted) had 286, but the year after had 308 (only 30 yards less). Points? 18.5 in 1974, 21.5 in 2009, so a field goal.

The stats don't show your massive conspiracy theory.

I'm not going to do this again. No one is talking about running, the discussion is about the passing rules. I didn't realize that I had to spell that out for you. If you've missed this discussion about the passing rules in the NFL, then too bad. I'm not going through it with someone I don't think has a firm grasp of the differences between today's game and the original game.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #44
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
I'm not going to do this again. No one is talking about running, the discussion is about the passing rules. I didn't realize that I had to spell that out for you. If you've missed this discussion about the passing rules in the NFL, then too bad. I'm not going through it with someone I don't think has a firm grasp of the differences between today's game and the original game.
Hey, more opinion. You're really good at that!

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 02-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 55

Overtime is fine the way it is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #46
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
I don't get why everyone feels teams are entitled to have a possesion in OT. Everyone always bitches about the NFL favoring offense and screwing the defense over all the time, well OT is the defense's chance to step it up.
All that matters.

Quote:
I'm still pissed at the Colts OT Playoff loss to the Chargers in '08. What happened? Exactly what I suspected.. Chargers won the coin toss, drove right down the field and won the game. Manning didn't even see the field in OT. I knew the game was over right when SD won the toss. Our defense couldn't stop a damn thing all day.

So yes, I'd love for it to be changed. It's only more fair to give both offenses a chance to win, especially in today's offensive league.
That must've been terrible for you to know that your defense couldn't get the stops when it mattered.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
In the regular season, play an extra 7:30.

In the playoffs, play an extra 15:00.

Whoever's up at the end, is the winner. I don't see what's so complicated about it.
TV networks would never go for that.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #48
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
TV networks would never go for that.
It's not the networks, it's the owners.

We don't have proper overtime because the owners are afraid that extending the game will risk injuries. Scheduling has nothing to do with it, as overtime in college has been known to run quite long.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »