Home

Redskins back to their old spending habits?

This is a discussion on Redskins back to their old spending habits? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2010, 03:18 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Redskins back to their old spending habits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlueDude
If Darren Sproles signs with the Redskins and they can get a good offensive line, this team could be in the playoffs next season.
You're giving Sproles far too much credit.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #34
The Print Guy

65South's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Honestly, why not? It's not like this is any different from the way the organization operates to begin with and if it's going to be an uncapped year so might as well take advantage of it.

The big problem I see with this is the money invested in Haynesworth and Peppers not because they aren't great players but because they aren't great self-motivators. These guys have the talent to be HOF'ers with no one even in their league in terms of athleticism, size and various other metrics, but they simply don't have the self motivation or motor to do so. Basically, they play when they feel like it. That's not the kind of players you want to invest big money into.
My goodness! IMO, I don't think you could have summed up the thought process of many teams on Peppers (and Haynesworth) any better than you just did with that post man

PSN: Sixty5South

Last edited by 65South; 03-04-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #35
Pro

pw_1016's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlueDude
Portis and Sproles can split the carries.
They'll have to. Most championship caliber teams tend to have two high caliber backs, anyway.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Peppers and Sproles could be good fits for Washington depending on how they are used.

But, the real problem doesn't seem to be the defense and running game with Washington.

Not sure why Synder doesn't see that it's the offensive line that's very, very inconsistent. Maybe this year, he'll draft some and then maybe they can develop.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #37
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
I can only use the Steelers as an example because I follow them, but we'd never see this reckless spending in Pittsburgh. Not all teams just bring in the best players for the a lot of money. Some scout and develop players and make smart acquisitions to fill holes.

Yeah, everything about him translates to a terrific OLB in a 3-4.

True, that's a big commitment.

But, when you think about it, what are the hardest things to find when transitioning to a 3-4?

OLB and D-line.

They'd have Peppers on the ROLB and could move Brian Orakpo to LOLB, since he was projected to possibly play there out of the draft anyway.

Then, you have Haynesworth as a DE or NT, depending on how you'd want to use him. You'd have to plug in two more DL and move around some linebackers and your front 7 might be set.
I disagree. Linebackers have to cover people in the passing game. He's a long rangy guy with straight line speed. He's not going to be able to transition well in coverage or change directions in space. If he's a liability in coverage teams will routinely stack multiple receivers to his side to force him out of the pass rush and expose him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »