Home

Name some of the biggest 'busts' at WR in the draft in the last 5 yrs?

This is a discussion on Name some of the biggest 'busts' at WR in the draft in the last 5 yrs? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #49
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Name some of the biggest 'busts' at WR in the draft in the last 5 yrs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
its seems like any reciever from USC in the past five years drafted in the first round was a bust.
Past 10 years drafted USC WRs in 1st round:
2000 --> R. Jay Soward, 29th pick to Jax
2005 --> Mike Williams, 10th pick to Det

People think there are more b/c of the hype USC draftable players receive but most are actually 2nd or 3rd rounders like Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarrett, etc.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #50
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

true they are hyped to be thought they all are first rounders. recievers though is a hard one to count on as a first round pick u gotta have the right system and the wr got have have his head on straight.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #51
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
Man where were you at when I've tried to make that point for years. his recievers were third rate recievers for a minute, by time Who shot ya(buress) came around he was on his way out.
Kordell was Mike Vick before there was a Mike Vick. At the time he was the most physically gifted QB ever. Problem is: it's meaningless. If you can't throw from the pocket in the NFL, you're not much use.

I can't tell you if it's because he didn't focus on it enough, or what. I know alot of QBs in today's game get so hung up on trying to learn some idiot coach's 300 play gameplan that they fail to focus on their fundamentals. This costs alot of guys their jobs.

I would also say that I disagree with the people who say he should have played WR. Kordell, like Tebow was as success at every level until he became a full time NFL starter. His confidence was destroyed by failure because he wasn't mentally tough. But, if he had been better coached and surrounded by more help in the passing game I think he could have become a good NFL QB. See Steve Young. Better coaching, more help around him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #52
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Kordell was Mike Vick before there was a Mike Vick. At the time he was the most physically gifted QB ever. Problem is: it's meaningless. If you can't throw from the pocket in the NFL, you're not much use.

I can't tell you if it's because he didn't focus on it enough, or what. I know alot of QBs in today's game get so hung up on trying to learn some idiot coach's 300 play gameplan that they fail to focus on their fundamentals. This costs alot of guys their jobs.

I would also say that I disagree with the people who say he should have played WR. Kordell, like Tebow was as success at every level until he became a full time NFL starter. His confidence was destroyed by failure because he wasn't mentally tough. But, if he had been better coached and surrounded by more help in the passing game I think he could have become a good NFL QB. See Steve Young. Better coaching, more help around him.
see my beef with the kordells, vicks, mcnabb and cunninghams are teams draft these guys for what they did in college then they turn pro and tell them to do the opposite. i think there can be a happy medium, if coached right like you said. i think mcnabb and mcnair made the change well, though at the end of their careers many wished they would run more.

i don't anyof those guys could have been recievers in the nfl . vick makes a good argument that he could be, but i don't. randel played reciever and qb in college, hines ward, Rice played reciever and qb in college and seemed to make the adjustment, but it has to been done at a college level first.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #53
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
But, if he had been better coached and surrounded by more help in the passing game I think he could have become a good NFL QB. See Steve Young. Better coaching, more help around him.
Surely you're not comparing Steve Young to Slash...
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #54
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Surely you're not comparing Steve Young to Slash...
You clearly did not see Young play in Tampa. He was VERY Kordellesque.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
You clearly did not see Young play in Tampa. He was VERY Kordellesque.
Steve Young needed work to succeed in the NFL that is true but to even consider his Tampa Bay days is a joke, at the time they were the worst franchise perhaps in the history of professional sports. It was so bad Bo Jackson refused to play for them after being the #1 pick in the NFL Draft (there were other reasons like them lying to him and costing him his baseball eligibility). But at no point in his career did Stewart ever have the tools Steve Young had.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #56
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Steve Young needed work to succeed in the NFL that is true but to even consider his Tampa Bay days is a joke, at the time they were the worst franchise perhaps in the history of professional sports. It was so bad Bo Jackson refused to play for them after being the #1 pick in the NFL Draft (there were other reasons like them lying to him and costing him his baseball eligibility). But at no point in his career did Stewart ever have the tools Steve Young had.
What tools? They had similar arm strength, were about the same size, and Kordell was probably a little better athlete. Kordell never developed his accuracy, but even Steve Young himself said he didn't learn that until he was with Walsh in San Fran.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »