Home

All Time NFL Draft Busts Team

This is a discussion on All Time NFL Draft Busts Team within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #81
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: All Time NFL Draft Busts Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
So whats our official definition of bust for this thread?
Apparently it requires you to have never positively contributed in any way at all and thus there has not been a single bust ever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #82
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
This is straight up, 100% pure revisionist history.

Desmond Howard was not an "athlete" or drafted for his special teams. Desmond Howard was drafted to be a wide receiver.
I'm not trying to revise history, I'm saying what my opinion of him was at the time. A lot of "draft experts" thought he could play WR but that he might be a project at that position because of his route running issues primarily. You could get away with that in College, but of course in the NFL you will be exposed and abused by Pro DB's (and he was). The Redskins weren't trying to hear any of that though. It was WR or nothing in their eyes.

I think he was still worthy of the spot he was selected, I just disagree with how the Redskins insisted on using him. Of course, it didn't help him that they had Brian Mitchell, but I think Howard would've been better than Mitchell at that spot, because he had a lot more athletic talent. I know athletic talent alone doesn't always put you over, but I remember some years that Desmond had a return on a regular basis that wound up in a highlight reel. He really had some Special Teams coaches worried.

Quote:
He wasn't Devin Hester who had done nothing of note on offense, he was an All American WR. Saying that they should have expected Howard to be nothing more than a punt returner is like saying people should have expected Reggie Bush to be a third stringer. Nobody (aside from OSU and Texas fans) expected that.
I'm saying the Redskins took a player that had various talents and wanted to put him in a box. I like how the Saints use Reggie Bush. They drafted him to be a RB, found out he couldn't be that solidified back, so they created an all-purpose role for him and that's worked out for them (despite his very lean season this past year). There was no imagination in the Redskins boring offense, and that team was terrible. They needed a Sean Payton back then.

When you think Desmond Howard and what he did on the field you think of two plays:

1. That big return TD against Ohio State where he did the Heisman pose

2. That big return TD against New England in Super Bowl 31

Anytime he's brought up, it's one of those two plays. In the NFL it turned out that this is what he was best at. Sure, he was a disappointment for the Redskins because they drafted him to be a WR and he didn't make the mark at that position, of course I can concede that, but he made a number of other teams happy in a different role.

Quote:
Because they aren't anywhere near as important as offensive and defensive players.
I agree that they don't hold the same level of importance overall as every down players.

Quote:
If Howard isn't a bust, neither are they or any WR ever.
Perhaps the fairest way to look at it is that Howard busted as a WR, we can all agree on that, but as an NFL player in the role he took to, he found success and wound up delivering a moment or two that went down in history, and some pretty nice highlights. I don't see anyone playing any Blair Thomas or Curtis Enis highlights

Last edited by TheWatcher; 03-11-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #83
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I'm not trying to revise history, I'm saying what my opinion of him was at the time. A lot of "draft experts" thought he could play WR but that he might be a project at that position because of his route running issues primarily. You could get away with that in College, but of course in the NFL you will be exposed and abused by Pro DB's (and he was). The Redskins weren't trying to hear any of that though. It was WR or nothing in their eyes.

I think he was still worthy of the spot he was selected, I just disagree with how the Redskins insisted on using him. Of course, it didn't help him that they had Brian Mitchell, but I think Howard would've been better than Mitchell at that spot, because he had a lot more athletic talent. I know athletic talent alone doesn't always put you over, but I remember some years that Desmond had a return on a regular basis that wound up in a highlight reel. He really had some Special Teams coaches worried.

I'm saying the Redskins took a player that had various talents and wanted to put him in a box. I like how the Saints use Reggie Bush. They drafted him to be a RB, found out he couldn't be that solidified back, so they created an all-purpose role for him and that's worked out for them (despite his very lean season this past year). There was no imagination in the Redskins boring offense, and that team was terrible. They needed a Sean Payton back then.

Anytime he's brought up, it's one of those two plays. In the NFL it turned out that this is what he was best at. Sure, he was a disappointment for the Redskins because they drafted him to be a WR and he didn't make the mark at that position, of course I can concede that, but he made a number of other teams happy in a different role.

You mean the 1991 Redskins that won the SB followed by the '92 team that went 9-7 and won a playoff game after their coach retired?

He failed to make an impact at WR for ALL the teams he played for. I don't care what anyone says, no one drafts a special teams player #4 overall.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Heath Shuler.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #84
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Pfft, WTF?!? He was worthy of his selection? Daunte Hall, Devin Hestner, the beer truck returner, and Josh Cribbs would like to speak with you! He def was not worthy of that pick. As one of the guys I mentioned was just picked off the streets and was returning kicks. Too bad NO team in the NFL could use this athlete so he was forced to just be a punt returner. Stop making me argue against the guy damnit!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #85
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Pfft, WTF?!? He was worthy of his selection? Daunte Hall, Devin Hestner, the beer truck returner, and Josh Cribbs would like to speak with you! He def was not worthy of that pick. As one of the guys I mentioned was just picked off the streets and was returning kicks. Too bad NO team in the NFL could use this athlete so he was forced to just be a punt returner.
Exactly

There are 17 players with 8 return TDs (the number Howard has).

Of those players:

5 were chosen in the first round
2 were chosen in the second round
2 were chosen in the third round
1 was chosen in the fourth round
3 were chosen in the fifth round
1 of each were chosen in the sixth, seventh, and fifteenth round
1 was undrafted

Of the 5 first rounders, 3 are Hall of Famers in Gale Sayers, Ollie Matson, and Deion Sanders so they were clearly good picks.

The only other player is Eric Metcalf. Now, not only was he chosen 13th instead of 4th, but he had 4 more return touchdowns and about 6,300 more offensive yards than Howard so he at least contributed on offense.

The second rounders (Hester and Grey) were not only better returners but far lower picks and Hester has already had the two best seasons of returners ever.

The rest don't really need to be justified, but if Howard isn't even a "special" returner by professional standards, how in the world can you justify him being the highest pick by far of all the special teams players?

It'd be like if someone drafted Matt Turk #1 overall. Sure he's a good punter and even a great punter at times, but you can fill that need with a 5th round pick if even that.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »