Home

Gerhart and Tebow controversies show what's wrong with the NFL...

This is a discussion on Gerhart and Tebow controversies show what's wrong with the NFL... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #73
Banned

peteykirch's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Gerhart and Tebow controversies show what's wrong with the NFL...

I just hate how if a white RB runs a 4.5 he is deceptively fast, but if anyone else runs the same speed there is nothing brought up about it.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #74
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteykirch
I just hate how if a white RB runs a 4.5 he is deceptively fast, but if anyone else runs the same speed there is nothing brought up about it.
When the "white RB"'s biggest knock (to some) is speed, it's kind of a big deal.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #75

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
...ugh.

Just a thought....that might be just because, of Toby's size and not the color of his skin?

At 6'0 235 pounds that is deceptively fast for his "size".

Edit: Thought he was 6'1 my bad.

Last edited by SouthernBrick; 03-19-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #76
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Any 6'0 235 lbs. RB that runs a 4.5 is going to be considered a good speed/size ratio guy. No matter what his color is.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #77
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Any 6'0 235 lbs. RB that runs a 4.5 is going to be considered a good speed/size ratio guy. No matter what his color is.
He's plenty fast for a power back, no doubt.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:01 AM   #78
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I think the thing with the HBs and going more elusive than power:

Why take hits when you can avoid them? If you can hit holes before the LBs can figure out where you are and then evade said LBs so they don't hit you squarely, why would that *not* be a desired skill set?

You get yards. You get the chance for lots of yards. You can run inside (quick hitters or draws) or outside (can outrun LBs and match up physically with CBs), and you potentially take less hard hits so less wear on your body.

That's not to say a power guy should be thrown away because they can be viable and there's always a place for power in any contact sport, but if Gerhart can evade some measure of tackles (even Bettis could do that, he just didn't run headlong against DT, NT, piles of six people like he was trying to create a pro-tak moment), then he'll find a place, be useful, and his team will be glad to have him.

He might not go high in the draft, but does that really matter? I don't think power running is dead, just less common thanks to Denver's zone blocking and guys like Sanders and CJ (you know the NFL is the copycat league, and when they see someone like that, that's what everyone will try to find the "next one of").

As for QBs - completion % have gone up, not down, so that means you have to be better to even be average. In 1981, Jamarcus Russell's comp % would be just a notch below average, now, he's about as bad as you'll see. Some of that is probably rule changes, I don't doubt that at all, but you still have to have the skill to use those rule changes - hence why guys like Russell and Derek Anderson are lucky to have a job.

Another thing against mobile QBs is the "they haven't won anything (read: Super Bowl)" argument. I think that's a silly argument because a QB can't win by himself - there's that other team trying to win, not to mention the other 11 guys on defense and the 10 guys on the QBs team. Plus, I think that argument ignores Steve Young (who could run well, but is never considered a "mobile QB" for reasons I don't understand. He ran for 5.9 Y/C in his career...)

That said, if Tebow can hit 58-60% of his passes, avoids INTs and can use his legs not only to get yards but to escape pressure - then I don't see why a team wouldn't be happy to use him.

I think Vince Young, if he can keep his head straight, will help to change perception that a mobile guy who can run and be a "True" QB - not just a gimmick/gadget player. I think the NFL sees "mobile QB" as Pat White instead of guys like Randal Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, or Steve Young.

Last edited by KBLover; 03-20-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:21 AM   #79
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Didn't Brandon Jacobs run a 4.5?

Lose 30 Lbs & 3-4 inches and you've got a Mini Jacobs.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:35 AM   #80
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Dan Fouts played pre 1978 as well.

Unitas played LB in college as there were a lot more 2 way players then, but in that era LB's weren't mostly super athletic. It was a plug and fill position almost exclusively then.

Look at the NFL in those era's. Outside of the 60's era Chiefs, the 70's era Steelers and Broncos what teams had athletic linebackers pre 1978?
The 70's era Raiders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »