Home

Gerhart and Tebow controversies show what's wrong with the NFL...

This is a discussion on Gerhart and Tebow controversies show what's wrong with the NFL... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #65
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Gerhart and Tebow controversies show what's wrong with the NFL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milbut
I think he was agreeing with you.
I read it as sarcasm. There's alot of that around here, I just wanted him to elaborate on his position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
No kidding.

I think most know where I stand in regards to this debate, no point in reiterating my argument that has already been reiterated time and time again(in case you don't know where I stand, I've read all 7 pages and agree with virtually everything BK has said).
Ah yes, discretion is the better part of valor.

Way to pick your battles old buddy...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #66
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Jerome Bettis not elusive (though nimble for a big man)
You just answered your own question.

Bettis, for his size, had incredible elusiveness in that he could sometimes make someone miss. Bettis had incredible power and some elusiveness...but I cannot remember anyone who was all power having the ability to put up big numbers.

Every running back you have mentioned in this thread had a craftiness about them that could avoid taking on the big hit while being able to run people over. I'd call that elusiveness AND power and I definitely do not see that in Gerhart. I do think he'll be a quality power back, but he'll never be THE feature back.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
I read it as sarcasm. There's alot of that around here, I just wanted him to elaborate on his position.

Ah yes, discretion is the better part of valor.

Way to pick your battles old buddy...
Sorry, but you're not bating me back into this argument again.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #68
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
] I'd call that elusiveness AND power and I definitely do not see that in Gerhart. I do think he'll be a quality power back, but he'll never be THE feature back.
Really? I thought Gerhart was pretty elusive in the hole. While not what I would call a shifty back, I thought he made people miss in tight spaces much like Bettis did in his heyday.

If you look at the Oklahoma game where they were playing without Luck and he was the only option, I thought he made some people miss which turned 2 yard gains in 4 or 5 yard gains.

Durability is the question for me, as to why he may not be a feature back, but if he can stay healthy and someone gives him a chance, I see no reason why he can't be a feature back.

At least that's the way it looks from my perspective.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #69
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Really? I thought Gerhart was pretty elusive in the hole. While not what I would call a shifty back, I thought he made people miss in tight spaces much like Bettis did in his heyday.

If you look at the Oklahoma game where they were playing without Luck and he was the only option, I thought he made some people miss which turned 2 yard gains in 4 or 5 yard gains.

Durability is the question for me, as to why he may not be a feature back, but if he can stay healthy and someone gives him a chance, I see no reason why he can't be a feature back.

At least that's the way it looks from my perspective.
Gerhart is too upright to be able to stay healthy enough.

And I know of no one who is questioning Gerhart's speed anymore, after his combine. If he can change his style, as in not being too upright, he could be real special.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #70
Banned

OVR: 29

It really isn't fair to point to a small percentage of players who didn't have X and made it to the Hall of Fame. For every 1 Bettis there have been many others that flamed out quickly.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #71
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Wow...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #72
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I don't think anybody says Gerhart can't play in the NFL or be a very valuable back. His talents just don't constitue a first round draft pick, however. You can find good RB's in the third and fourth round. But getting those running backs who can hit a homerun everytime they touch the ball or a back with the combination of speed, power, and elusiveness is a premium. Mark Ingram, despite being the best college RB in many years, might end up in the 2nd round.

As far as Tebow. I agree with you...you don't have to be pinpoint accurate. But you do have to be alot more accurate than Tebow and have a much quicker throwing motion so DB's won't get a read on your ball. Ask Brian Leftwich why he isn't starting....and he has much better passing skills than Tebow (including a much stronger arm).
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »