Home

LT says he was misused in SD

This is a discussion on LT says he was misused in SD within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
LT says he was misused in SD

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- LaDainian Tomlinson says people shouldn't believe everything they see on film when it comes to his last few seasons in San Diego.

The New York Jets' newest running back said Thursday after a team workout that several factors led to his decreased production with the Chargers.

Tomlinson, who signed a two-year contract worth about $5.2 million with the Jets last month, has a point about the Chargers' offensive focus. He no longer was the center of San Diego's attack the last few seasons. Instead, coach Norv Turner increasingly allowed quarterback Philip Rivers to throw the ball down the field.

Tomlinson, the eighth-leading rusher in NFL history, was cut in February after nine seasons in San Diego and a career-low 730 rushing yards and 3.3 yards per carry in 2009. There was speculation after the 2008 season that the Chargers might try to trade or even release Tomlinson, and he said he was unhappy with the team after last season.

"To be honest with you, I felt like last year was going to be my last year in San Diego," Tomlinson said. "After the problems we had the previous year with the organization, I knew it was time to leave. The transition wasn't as hard because I kind of prepared myself for it, and I was ready to kind of move on to something else."

Tomlinson turns 31 in June, but he insists he hasn't lost a step and still can make defensive players miss. He's also motivated by those who say he's washed up -- the 30-and-done running back rule -- and is no longer a dangerous player.

"It really doesn't bother me as much because I accept everything as a challenge, and that's fine with me," Tomlinson said. "I can stick that on my wall and look at it everyday, and it can motivate me to go out and work hard. At this stage of my career, I've got to outwork everybody else and prove that I can still play."

That's a big reason Tomlinson is participating in voluntary workouts this offseason.

"I think the most important thing is getting here and working out, having guys see how I work," he said. "You build a chemistry through the offseason by lifting weights and running. Guys see how you work and judge it from there."

With the Jets, Tomlinson is expected to complement Shonn Greene, who was promising during his rookie season. Tomlinson believes they can help each other stay fresh by sharing carries.

"Shonn and I work well together," said Tomlinson, whose locker is next to Greene's. "Hopefully we're like (Michael) Jordan and (Scottie) Pippen."

Tomlinson chose the Jets over the Minnesota Vikings because of his familiarity with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's system and the chance to win a championship. Tomlinson also relishes the opportunity to play in the AFC East, particularly against the New England Patriots.

"It's going to be fun," he said. "The Patriots have always been one of them teams that, it's hard for me to swallow that pill of losing to them, so it's going to fun to play them twice a year. And, it's going to be one of my main goals to beat them twice."

The dining options also have made for a smooth adjustment from Southern California to New York.

"Well, I never was a sushi guy," Tomlinson said, laughing. "I love Italian food and pizza, obviously, so it's been great. With my wife being pregnant, she loves that type of food, so all the better."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Or maybe you just got OLD and BROKEDOWN. Either way, with him and Greene splitting the carries, it should be a pretty nasty combo. LT's best years was with Michael Turner and this could be the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #2

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: LT says he was misused in SD

I still hope he can do something behind that line. I don't care what he says he's lost a step and that is EXTREMELY obvious. I remember when LT didn't need that big of a hole to get that 15-20 yard gain. I think LT still has his vision and some explosion left but, not much. He will have no more excuses in NY. Great O-line, running team, completely healthy, etc.

I don't think he was misused the team just had to go in a different direction that was best for the team and not LT. He wasn't happy with his role and I don't know what running back would be really unless your a Westbrook type back. Teams play to their strengths not their weaknesses. I understand though he didn't have that great full back that he had in his great years.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
"Shonn and I work well together," said Tomlinson, whose locker is next to Greene's. "Hopefully we're like (Michael) Jordan and (Scottie) Pippen."
Maybe Michael Jordan and Bill Cartwright.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 27

LT is going through that phase where running backs are still young in the mind but old in the legs, and it's made him delusional.

No LT, you declined. Period. Accept it. You can't be on top forever. Time, hits, and injuries take its toll. You're a backup now, and that's what you're going to be to Shonn Greene unless Greene completely tanks as a starter.

And as far as his hopefully tongue-in-cheek comparison to Michael Jordan... LT even at his best was never Michael Jordan-good. Michael Jordan showed up in the playoffs...
Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
MVP

Amoo316's Arena

OVR: 19

Saw an interesting interview with Emmitt Smith the other day talking about this same thing. He said he didn't understand how just because he went from being a good back at 1300 yards a year he was suddenly bad because he was only able to put up 1000 yards...In a way I could see where he was coming from, but at the same time once you hit 3.5ypc on the way down I think most coaches/gms would rather have a guy you can pay half as much to put up those numbers....He did throw his only TD pass in his final season at Ariz so I guess that's one positive.
NBA: Heat
NCAA: Florida & Miss State
NFL: Whichever team currently has the most of my favorite college players
NHL: Caps
Tennis: The Joker & Sloane Stevens
WWE: Dean Ambrose
Misc: Anybody wearing a Team USA jersey
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

Norv Turner is a passing coach LT? 15 of the 19 years he's been a head coach or offensive coordinator he's had a 1000+ back. Please go ask Stephen Davis, Frank Gore, Ricky Williams, and Terry Allen what kind of coach Norv is.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Tomlinson chose the Jets over the Minnesota Vikings because of his familiarity with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's system and the chance to win a championship.
AKA he knew he couldn't beat out AP.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29

Maybe LT can be like Curtis Martin was for the Jets. We won't break the big one, but he'll get a steady 5 yards almost every time and possibly break a 20 yarder every now and then. Since Shonn Greene is the feature back and that insane O-Line i don't see why it can't happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »