Home

Greg Jennings...

This is a discussion on Greg Jennings... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Greg Jennings...

i think people are selling welker short. no, he shouldn't be mentioned as an elite wide receiver, but that doesn't mean he doesn't offer elite production and an entirely unique skill-set unlike anything we've ever seen.

he's too short and slow to be a prototypical outside wide receiver, and it would be foolish to use him as such because he's literally not built to do it. the same reason you wouldn't flank a traditional tight end (as in not one of today's elite receiving tight ends, think more along the lines of kevin boss), he's not that type of player. what he is, however, is a great possession receiver with sneaky speed and agility. he runs excellent option routes, reads a defense and finds a hole where he can be seen and utilized. could be go one on one with revis and come out the victor? no, but that's not his job. his job is to take advantage of linebackers and nickel corners to make up for the lack of his team's run game. he's also a great blocker, especially considering his diminutive size, and he's good at returning kicks.

also, people act like he's ONLY getting looks underneath, but he's gone downfield plenty of times, but for those expecting him to moss/fitzgerald people, you're sadly mistaken.

show some love - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIDrJolp4Do
Old 04-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #34
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The15thunter
i think people are selling welker short. no, he shouldn't be mentioned as an elite wide receiver, but that doesn't mean he doesn't offer elite production and an entirely unique skill-set unlike anything we've ever seen.

he's too short and slow to be a prototypical outside wide receiver, and it would be foolish to use him as such because he's literally not built to do it. the same reason you wouldn't flank a traditional tight end (as in not one of today's elite receiving tight ends, think more along the lines of kevin boss), he's not that type of player. what he is, however, is a great possession receiver with sneaky speed and agility. he runs excellent option routes, reads a defense and finds a hole where he can be seen and utilized. could be go one on one with revis and come out the victor? no, but that's not his job. his job is to take advantage of linebackers and nickel corners to make up for the lack of his team's run game. he's also a great blocker, especially considering his diminutive size, and he's good at returning kicks.

also, people act like he's ONLY getting looks underneath, but he's gone downfield plenty of times, but for those expecting him to moss/fitzgerald people, you're sadly mistaken.

show some love - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIDrJolp4Do
I don't think anyone is selling him short, actually.

"no, he shouldn't be mentioned as an elite wide receiver"

That's all that matters. The other thread is about the best WR in the NFL and a list of about 5 names was posted... he doesn't belong on that list. This thread is about Jennings, who isn't in that elite group (imo) but has more potential to get there than Welker will ever have.

He's very good at what he does, and there's nothing wrong with that. No he doesn't just go underneath but I'm not going to marvel at his 100 catch seasons when I know he gets most of those the same way Ray Rice gets his catches. Some one tells me Welker got 20 catches, I think the Pats probably won. Someone tells me Marshall got 20 catches and I'm running to find highlights and the replay. Just saying he got 100+ catches isn't enough to consider him amongst the best in the league.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #35
MVP

chicubsfan20's Arena

OVR: 13

if you go off route running and ability after the catch/YAC. Greng Jennings and even Donald Driver are both probably in the top 10 for them cateogories. Them two are the main reason the Packers have been good with YAC. Hell, he may not be top 20 WR with YAC, nor as flashy or fast, but James Jones has been decent at making defenders miss for the Packers.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #36
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubsfan20
if you go off route running and ability after the catch/YAC. Greng Jennings and even Donald Driver are both probably in the top 10 for them cateogories. Them two are the main reason the Packers have been good with YAC. Hell, he may not be top 20 WR with YAC, nor as flashy or fast, but James Jones has been decent at making defenders miss for the Packers.

James Jones needs to stop dropping the ball. He is fun to watch when he catches it. Jennings is the best wr on the team and has benifited by being able to learn from a great route runner in Driver. Jennings top 5, no. But should be in the discussion for probably 8-15.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotsk1d
Well i agree more less, but the way the use welker compared to moss, or fitz is just so much different. I mean he is a slot reciever who makes 10 or more catches a game and most of them being off playaction screens and regular Slot Screens, but some being dump off passes, why jennings is more of a verticle threat oposed to an underneath type of guy. Now of course moss helps him, but usually defences use a LB or Saftey to cover the slot and thats not good enough for welker.
So hes a slot receiver vs a deep threat receiver. Wouldnt you rather have a killer slot receiver catching 10+ passes per game? Specially when that receiver often turns them into great gains with little risk.

Last edited by wheelman990; 04-08-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:49 AM   #38
Banned

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
So hes a slot receiver vs a deep threat receiver. Wouldnt you rather have a killer slot receiver catching 10+ passes per game? Specially when that receiver often turns them into great gains with little risk.
You are so right. I would much rather have a guy who can get 8-15 catches per game of 10 yards or more than a guy who can beat yah deep.

I mean look at it this way thats arround 150 yards per game. Think of it like from a RB standard. If a RB has 150 yards he had a good day, well 150 yards by welker is no different. he got them the same distances. So basically you come up with a perfect player.

And welker is not overated at all. Most people dont get how this sort of offence works
Old 04-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #39
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
You are so right. I would much rather have a guy who can get 8-15 catches per game of 10 yards or more than a guy who can beat yah deep.

I mean look at it this way thats arround 150 yards per game. Think of it like from a RB standard. If a RB has 150 yards he had a good day, well 150 yards by welker is no different. he got them the same distances. So basically you come up with a perfect player.

And welker is not overated at all. Most people dont get how this sort of offence works

I get how it works. You don't want to choose one over the other. You need both. The deep threat to draw coverage and keep the safeties back to open space up underneath to give Welker space to maneuver. The one style makes the other better.

The bottom line is Jennings and Welker basically play two different positions filling two different roles. That being said, Jennings is not just a deep threat. He also runs the underneath routes very well.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #40
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't get how the offense works. And as mentioned, Jennings isn't a deep threat. He's a good WR who can go deep successfully. Welker's a one trick pony.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »