Home

Steelers discussing trading Roethlisberger

This is a discussion on Steelers discussing trading Roethlisberger within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Steelers discussing trading Roethlisberger

I say that they might supend him, but traiding him is going to be the dumbmest thing the Steelers will ever do.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #18
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Bull...leak story to get Ben back into reality.
I wouldn't say it's complete bull but the leash is very very short for Ben right now. If he's not getting the message that the Rooneys are PO'ed beyond belief then he's got another thing coming.

Essentially he's on his last chance.

I do agree with you though, he's not being traded anytime soon but if he slips up again then all bets are off.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 04-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #19
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
Big Ben is not the reason the Steelers are winning.
Actually, Ben is pretty big reason why they have won in the past. Last year, he threw 26 tds to 12 ints also, he was in the top 5 in QB rating, yards per game and completion percentage. The throws that he made to Holmes in the Super Bowl (the season before of course) and against GB last year in the regular season were out of this world. I'd say he is definitely a Top 10 QB and one could pretty easily make a case for Top 5 QB.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 5

I don't doubt that this idea has at least been floated in the Steelers front office, and I don't think that the idea nor the possibility of a trade is so far-fetched as some would believe. Consider:

1. Pride and traditional values run deep in the city of Pittsburgh. That isn't just a Rooney thing, it's a community thing and it's something that the Steelers organization has held fast to since its beginning. It's what separates it from every other sports franchise and I don't think it's something they are likely to let go of anytime soon. That sense of tradition pays the bills- the Steelers are an international brand primarily because of it.

2. Roethlisberger's reputation has never been highly regarded in Pittsburgh, and has fallen off a cliff in the last year. I could imagine him being booed mightily in his first game back in Heinz Field. I think he'd have to have an MVP season just to break even with Steelers fans at this point. It's just that serious with them and that affects the bottom line for the organization.

3. Despite this latest incident, the trade value is there. Oakland was the first team that came to my mind. Why not ship this embarassment to the purgatory of the league in exchange for Nnamdi Asomugha, a top 3 corner and a player the Raiders have been shopping all year, filling an immediate need for the Steelers as well as paying dividends for years to come (Asomugha is 28 and in his prime), along with Oakland's 2nd round picks this year and next (I doubt they'd give up their 1st but who knows)? The extra early 2nd pick would give the Steelers options to maneuver around on day 1 of the draft to get what they want and need now, and they would getting what would no doubt be a top 10 2nd round pick for 2011 to have the same flexibility in the next draft.

Exchanging a proven (expensive) knucklehead for a Pro Bowl level player at your weakest position AND getting 2 more future starters should at least get some consideration. Dennis Dixon has at least proven capable at the QB position and if the Steelers are serious about returning to smashmouth football, I could see it working in both the short and long run.

Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, Stallworth,
Ham, Lambert, Greenwood, Mean Joe, et al.

Black & Gold, baby!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Actually, Ben is pretty big reason why they have won in the past. Last year, he threw 26 tds to 12 ints also, he was in the top 5 in QB rating, yards per game and completion percentage. The throws that he made to Holmes in the Super Bowl (the season before of course) and against GB last year in the regular season were out of this world. I'd say he is definitely a Top 10 QB and one could pretty easily make a case for Top 5 QB.
Difference between him being a great QB and him being the reason the Steelers win. You posted his stats for last year... but the Steelers missed the playoffs last year. I think it's fair to say he's not the most important player on that team, but that's not to say he's not valuable at all or even a top 10 QB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #22
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Difference between him being a great QB and him being the reason the Steelers win. You posted his stats for last year... but the Steelers missed the playoffs last year. I think it's fair to say he's not the most important player on that team, but that's not to say he's not valuable at all or even a top 10 QB.
Yeah I know they didn't make the playoff's last year but, they were only one game away from the playoffs. But, I'm not trying to make excuses they didn't cut it however, I don't think Ben is to entirely to blame for that. IMO, the reason is because their pass defense went from great to just average. The offense did have a stretch of 3-4 bad games toward the end of the season but, Ben didn't play in one of those games, IIRC.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 04-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #23
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Yeah I know they didn't make the playoff's last year but, they were only one game away from the playoffs. But, I'm not trying to make excuses they didn't cut it however, I don't think Ben is to entirely to blame for that. IMO, the reason is because their pass defense went from great to just average. The offense did have a stretch of 3-4 bad games toward the end of the season but, Ben didn't play in one of those games, IIRC.
It's not that it's his fault that they didn't make the playoffs... it's that with Ben they didn't make the playoffs. More specifically, without Troy P they didn't make the playoffs... with Troy P they're one of the best teams in the league. Ben's important, I just wouldn't say he's not replaceable... and that's not a knock on how good he is, but a comment on the make up of the team.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #24
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerForLife
I don't doubt that this idea has at least been floated in the Steelers front office, and I don't think that the idea nor the possibility of a trade is so far-fetched as some would believe. Consider:

1. Pride and traditional values run deep in the city of Pittsburgh. That isn't just a Rooney thing, it's a community thing and it's something that the Steelers organization has held fast to since its beginning. It's what separates it from every other sports franchise and I don't think it's something they are likely to let go of anytime soon. That sense of tradition pays the bills- the Steelers are an international brand primarily because of it.

2. Roethlisberger's reputation has never been highly regarded in Pittsburgh, and has fallen off a cliff in the last year. I could imagine him being booed mightily in his first game back in Heinz Field. I think he'd have to have an MVP season just to break even with Steelers fans at this point. It's just that serious with them and that affects the bottom line for the organization.

3. Despite this latest incident, the trade value is there. Oakland was the first team that came to my mind. Why not ship this embarassment to the purgatory of the league in exchange for Nnamdi Asomugha, a top 3 corner and a player the Raiders have been shopping all year, filling an immediate need for the Steelers as well as paying dividends for years to come (Asomugha is 28 and in his prime), along with Oakland's 2nd round picks this year and next (I doubt they'd give up their 1st but who knows)? The extra early 2nd pick would give the Steelers options to maneuver around on day 1 of the draft to get what they want and need now, and they would getting what would no doubt be a top 10 2nd round pick for 2011 to have the same flexibility in the next draft.

Exchanging a proven (expensive) knucklehead for a Pro Bowl level player at your weakest position AND getting 2 more future starters should at least get some consideration. Dennis Dixon has at least proven capable at the QB position and if the Steelers are serious about returning to smashmouth football, I could see it working in both the short and long run.
Oakland 2011 1st rounder went to the Patriots in the richard seymour deal. Other then that that deal makes allot of sense. Plus Oakland is lookinf for a QB and it's a place where they dont have to justify bringing in this guy to it's fanbase.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »